Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

The evolution of Windows from its beginnings to date

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • microchick
    Experienced Board Member
    • Apr 2012

Re: The evolution of Windows from its beginnings to date

I agree with you but how is it gonna work on windows 8 because on some versions there are no 3rd party softwares are allowed to be installed. All the programs MUST come from microsoft.
    If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• mahrkpat
      Experienced Board Member
      • Jun 2012

[QUOTE=microchick;242311]I agree with you but how is it gonna work on windows 8 because on some versions there are no 3rd party softwares are allowed to be installed. All the programs MUST come from microsoft.[/QUOTE]

MS are trying to do what Apple has doing for years but the trouble is Apple has managed to get away with this because their products have always been seen to be stylish and must have, even so you can legally jailbreak Apple products to allow for 3rd party software.

By trying to compete with Apple, MS will fail not only is it playing catchup it is not seen has having the same cool factor as Apple, in fact rightly or wrongly there is a strong anti MS feeling, therefore trying to restrict 3rd party apps will be seen as MS being greedy.
      Liked my post then push the sigpic button.

Comment

• microchick
        Experienced Board Member
        • Apr 2012

For windows users who have been using windows for ages will be a difficult situation because in the past they could install anything on windows but now they are gonna hate it when they are restricted to a only MS softwares.
        If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• besit
          Board Senior Member
          • Aug 2011

I run windows ONLY because of 3rd party software made for windows and unavalaible for Linux. M$ office like Windows itself become more and more ugly. I remember Word 6. It was fitted on a 1.4 MB diskette. Now we have , dunno 2010 Office, fitted on a double layer DVD. And what good from those megabytes?

Comment

• gcms
            Board Senior Member
            • Aug 2012

microchick u r right that ms bas 3rd party softwear on win 8 at the moment ms only banned 3 rd party browser only internet explorer will be used for browising on win 8. i think Only one browser allowed to decrease potential malware

Comment

• microchick
              Experienced Board Member
              • Apr 2012

You are right, it has changed so much. Windows XP was beautiful, fast and user friendly. I loved MS Office XP when it was launched but now it has become so unfriendly that hardly can find my stuff on itwhen I need to do something with my ducument.

Comment

• mahrkpat
                Experienced Board Member
                • Jun 2012

[QUOTE=gcms;242454]microchick u r right that ms bas 3rd party softwear on win 8 at the moment ms only banned 3 rd party browser only internet explorer will be used for browising on win 8. i think Only one browser allowed to decrease potential malware[/QUOTE]

Only internet explorer for browsing it is so bloated and slow compared to chrome that I've not used it in a long time.

How will it decrease malware, internet explorer is well known by hackers and has been exploited a lot I seem to remember getting security updates every few days for it.

It already needs patching--http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/internet-explorer-10-flash-vulnerabilities-will-soon-be-patched-12-09-2012/

Comment

• microchick
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Apr 2012

For Windows XP users: Microsoft will no longer support Windows XP as of April, 2014. In comparison, Windows 7 will be supported until 2020, which means you'll continue to receive operating system updates, fixes, and patches for your operating system until that time.
                  In short: if you're using Windows XP beyond its end-of-life cycle (April. 2014), your system won't receive patches, and you'll be at risk of being hacked / virus infected, or worse.

Comment

• uttnls

[QUOTE=besit;242452]I run windows ONLY because of 3rd party software made for windows and unavalaible for Linux. M$ office like Windows itself become more and more ugly. I remember Word 6. It was fitted on a 1.4 MB diskette. Now we have , dunno 2010 Office, fitted on a double layer DVD. And what good from those megabytes?[/QUOTE]

An alternative to Microsoft Office, that works great in Linux is Libre Office, and for MS Outlook a good replacement is Mozilla Thunderbird.

Comment

• microchick
                      Experienced Board Member
                      • Apr 2012

LibreOffice- When Sun got bought by Oracle in 2010 and commercial development of OpenOffice.org was officially terminated shortly thereafter. Then some of dedicated members of the OpenOffice.org community pooled their resources and set up The Document Foundation to provide structure and leadership to the continued development of the open source code used by OpenOffice.org and the new product was named Libreoffice. Most of the original openoffice community support is now behind Libreoffice.Openoffice.org- Is now part of the Apache incubator project, but it still does have some licensing issues with Oracle.

Comment

• bonilla
                        Board Senior Member
                        • Aug 2012

[QUOTE]
                        Originally Posted by besit
                        I run windows ONLY because of 3rd party software made for windows and unavalaible for Linux. M$ office like Windows itself become more and more ugly. I remember Word 6. It was fitted on a 1.4 MB diskette. Now we have , dunno 2010 Office, fitted on a double layer DVD. And what good from those megabytes?
                        [/QUOTE]
                        That's a good point . Evolution of OS ,and software require more and more space disk, ram .I'm not sure newer version offer more solution.Only more templates and widgets.
                        Evolution seems to go with an increase of megabytes used. There is still some portable edition (like Windows CE,or bart's PE mods) and it works smoothly !

Comment

• microchick
                          Experienced Board Member
                          • Apr 2012

[B]Microsoft urges computer users to install security tool![/B]

Microsoft has urged Windows users to install a free piece of security software to protect PCs from a newly discovered bug in the Internet Explorer browser which affects IE7,8 and 9.

Comment

• findeciclo
                            Experienced Board Member
                            • Oct 2010

[QUOTE=microchick;243370][B]Microsoft urges computer users to install security tool![/B]

Microsoft has urged Windows users to install a free piece of security software to protect PCs from a newly discovered bug in the Internet Explorer browser which affects IE7,8 and 9.[/QUOTE]

Microsoft Internet Explorer is the worst explorer I know, the better is chrome, and so on Firefox, but MS. I. explorer always is troubled with many problems.
                            I use chrome and it is speedy than the others.

[Quote=bonilla]That's a good point . Evolution of OS ,and software require more and more space disk, ram .I'm not sure newer version offer more solution.Only more templates and widgets.
                            Evolution seems to go with an increase of megabytes used. There is still some portable edition (like Windows CE,or bart's PE mods) and it works smoothly ![/quote]

Thats true, every change needs more system requeriments. More power for the processor, new architectures, more ram memory, more hdd capacity.
                            So if you want to be updated you must spend a lot of money each year in order to use all the new windows, apps. features.

Windows on the other hand is different whis Mac O.S, because you can do more things, cheapest things, you know, than apple O.S. and devices.
                            Best regards.

Comment

• bonilla
                              Board Senior Member
                              • Aug 2012

Microsoft made a nice move with that security company.
                              They constantly try to upgrade their security .First with Microsoft security (in windows 7). Now ,with this company they will add more security for the mobile plateform (compatible with the Windows 8 strategy)
                              [QUOTE]Microsoft announced today that it has bought PhoneFactor, a provider of multi-factor authentication.
                              PhoneFactor offers organizations different ways for their employees to access key software and services without relying just on passwords or security tokens. The company's specialty is phone authentication, but it also provides authentication through text messages.
                              Timothy Sutton, PhoneFactor CEO, described the concept in a blog, saying that "when we initially launched PhoneFactor, we had a vision to deliver strong authentication as a seamless part of almost every process where an individual needs to access confidential or proprietary data." He added that "phones provided the ideal platform."[/QUOTE]

Comment

• mahrkpat
                                Experienced Board Member
                                • Jun 2012

[QUOTE=bonilla;246084]Microsoft made a nice move with that security company.
                                They constantly try to upgrade their security .First with Microsoft security (in windows 7). Now ,with this company they will add more security for the mobile plateform (compatible with the Windows 8 strategy)[/QUOTE]

Here in the U.K we have all heard about the phone hacking scandel, it in facts shows of easy phones were to hack into, how secure will a company requiring phone authentication be?

Of course I am speaking without any info on security method so feel free to correct me.

Comment

Working...