Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

The evolution of Windows from its beginnings to date

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pan1300
    Experienced Board Member
    • Apr 2012

Re: The evolution of Windows from its beginnings to date

hi

yes, the time I bought it, it was fast, plenty of ram, heavy video card (mainly used by the wife for 3D drawings and strength calculation) - so this can be true.

Comment

• mahrkpat
      Experienced Board Member
      • Jun 2012

[QUOTE=pan1100;251315]hi guys

the more I read (here and elsewhere), the more I start doubting. On my desktop I still use Vista, and have really no problems (stable, not visible slower or faster than XP). I have the 64bit business version -> can it be that this is 'better' than the 'normal' versions (hard to believe there would be a big difference, but I really don't see why my Vista is (much) worse than the other OS I know ...
      Perhaps some real windows expert can explain (or could it be that I'm just lucky with my desktop combination setup?). :confused:[/QUOTE]

pan1100 you were very lucky when a benchmark was carried out it was found that WinXP was much faster at carrying out tasks at that time.

[QUOTE]yes, the time I bought it, it was fast, plenty of ram, heavy video card (mainly used by the wife for 3D drawings and strength calculation) - so this can be true.[/QUOTE]

pan1100 could it be that if you had WinXP installed it could have given you a better performance.
      Liked my post then push the sigpic button.

Comment

• microchick
        Experienced Board Member
        • Apr 2012

The first thing about an Operating System is its first impression. If you have liked vista and never wanted to ditch your OS then that's fine. If you haven't tried new things then you would never know the difference. It's like upgrading from Openbox to Vu+ duo. Openbox is easy to use and very user friendly but once you get used to use Vu+ then its all excellent and you would never dream of going back to openbox.

(@pan: I'm not talking about you, i'm talking in general)
        If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• thecrazybandit
          Experienced Board Member
          • Jul 2012

When Vista first came out it was using around 1 gig of ram on a average machine which was fine for xp but no were near enough for Vista .Vista needed a least 3 gig of ram to run smoothly

Comment

• duhoki
            Experienced Board Member
            • Aug 2011

Pan you have no problem with vista because first of all you might be lucky and haveproblem with your setup, but what i think is that you are not an normal pc user who dont know anything about how pc work. If a normal user gets problem, the first thing they will do is not troubleshooting but instead getting angry over a computer not working and send it to service... etc.

Comment

• microchick
              Experienced Board Member
              • Apr 2012

The graphics were so heavy that 1GB RAM was too low for it. Windows explorer was crashing all the time and restarting the applications. Microsoft started to realse paches for it day after day which made the windows even heavier.
              If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• bokkie
                Experienced Board Member
                • Feb 2012

I have my pc on windows vista and my htpc on windows 7. Both perform perfectly well with no problems at all. But I guess I understand enough to know how to get things running smoothly.

Comment

• microchick
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Apr 2012

User Account Control in Vista is like living with an overprotective mother, when you’re 30. It’s constantly popping up to warn you of impending danger, even when you’re just trying to take a look at Device Manager or perform some other innocent( ;) ) tasks. It hovers over you and nags you constantly: “Are you sure you want to do that?” Like Mum, UAC has our best interests in mind, but it can drive you nuts in the name of “security” — especially when you consider that it doesn’t really define a security boundary.

Comment

• pan1300
                    Experienced Board Member
                    • Apr 2012

hmmm

think I'm really lucky then, when I hear you with all this problems ; can' remember if windows explorer ever crashed ... ; haven't seen any warnings / danger so far ; only thing I must say: starting up is ok, but connecting to the internet takes 1 or 2 minutes - I use a wifi stick ; further: right, I know some things about computers, although surely no expert ;) ;

... and @mircochick: first impression isn't that important for me - I work with different OS's atm and all fine for me ; and ... didn't know you have a VU+ :cool:

Comment

• microchick
                      Experienced Board Member
                      • Apr 2012

@pan: VU+ Duo is something I can only DREAM of. I still have my classic openbox and going well. Let's hope Santa is generous to me this Christmas, LOL
                      Back to the topic. My friend's PC was on Vista and once it lost the connection to WiFi, he needed to restart the pc to get the connection back. There was no other way around. He didn't get much signal in the kitchen which is a bit away from the router's location. Upgraded to Windows 7 and everything is fine. The connection in the kitchen is brilliant now.

Comment

• gcms
                        Board Senior Member
                        • Aug 2012

[QUOTE=microchick;251346]@pan: VU+ Duo is something I can only DREAM of. I still have my classic openbox and going well. Let's hope Santa is generous to me this Christmas, LOL
                        Back to the topic. My friend's PC was on Vista and once it lost the connection to WiFi, he needed to restart the pc to get the connection back. There was no other way around. He didn't get much signal in the kitchen which is a bit away from the router's location. Upgraded to Windows 7 and everything is fine. The connection in the kitchen is brilliant now.[/QUOTE]

microchik this was not a hardwear problen it was a softwear problem i mean the driver of wifi was not competable with . when he was upgraded to windows 7 the problem was solved the softwear was upgraded and every thing was ok i ve erliar mentiond in this thread windows 7 is the best among all and can not say anything abt windows8 yet

Comment

• microchick
                          Experienced Board Member
                          • Apr 2012

In a misguided attempt to alleviate the need for horizontal scrolling, Vista made the left navigation pane in Windows Explorer a constantly moving target. As you move your mouse, it will automatically scroll back and forth.
                          You can avoid the auto-scrolling by dragging the pane to make it wide enough to accommodate the entire tree, but that isn’t a good option on a small screen.

In Windows 7 the navigation pane stays still, so you no longer risk getting seasick from all the swaying back and forth.

Comment

• gcms
                            Board Senior Member
                            • Aug 2012

microchick one of my friend also point out the fellowing disadvantages of windows 8
                            1.The main disadvantage is lies in the working, the system is reboot several times (especially for 30 min)
                            2. No antivirus for the windows 8 only windows firewall and internet security
                            3. Apps works only in the full monitor by occupying the full face of the monitor
                            4. No side apps can be run will we are using the apps

Comment

• microchick
                              Experienced Board Member
                              • Apr 2012

In XP, we could use pretty much whatever graphics cards we wanted for multiple monitors. Some research revealed that to use multiple graphics cards in Vista, they would have to all use the same driver.
                              Windows 7 has added support for multiple heterogeneous graphics cards from different vendors.

Comment

• sossenheim-ffm
                                • Oct 2012

I find windows 98 was the best windows edition ever.
                                You could do anything you want with it and it was very easy to handle.
                                Windows7 is also fantastic but windows 8 the new version of windows is in my opinion a flop because the metro look is only good for tablets but for desktops it is too hard to control.
                                I will stay at windows 7 ;) my favourite
                                If I helped you please press thanks button!

Comment

Working...