Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Best cheap HD receiver??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ricouskim
    • Aug 2011

Re: Best cheap HD receiver??

Originally posted by ecsbox360
    I second this. I have an Openbox S10 - and I am on the lookout for its replacement already.

Its card sharing options are limited - none of the cccam config software or webbased cccam info php will run as you can not ftp to the box. The menus in the cccam section show very limited information You cant even see the ping in ms. or which server is currently responding to control words.

The EPG show now & next only, navigating the epg changes the channels at the same time and is slow to update the detail.

Every time you make a change ie add a server in cccam or even edit one. You have to power down the box and power up agan. (F###-ing joke when the box is the other side of the room from the couch!).

Remote control is poor, you have to aim directly at the box and press (sometimes more than once, or hold the button down) to make it recognise your request. Layout of the keys isnt friendly either.

As you can probably guess, Im not a fan of this box at the moment.

Only good points. HD + Small size + Price
    You're scaring me And to know that browsing epg also change the channel it's really not good...

Comment

• Frimmage
      • Jul 2011

It's cheap and you get what you pay for, but as a simple box to get you up and running I have had no problems and am not looking to upgrade - it does what I need it to do.

Comment

• ricouskim
        • Aug 2011

The main problem for me is the zapping on epg. I really use to scan the epg without changing the channel with my dm500 and i'll really miss this usual.

Comment

• darkbus
          • Oct 2011

You can FTP to the S10. I have done it. Guide on openboxforums with some software as well.

Comment

• ecsbox360
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by darkbus
            You can FTP to the S10. I have done it. Guide on openboxforums with some software as well.
            ?| Really |? - Surely your not refering to the 'STBHD_LAN_MM.EXE'

This piece of software does connect via the File Transfer Protocol (FTP) however it does so via a custom piece of software and not standardised FTP software. For example you can not use normal FTP software like FileZilla.

You'll notice from the attached image the lack of a username field. Without this you can not connect to the box using other software. I considered the username may be hardcoding into the custom software - so decompiled the executable.. unfortunately no sign of the username.
            Dislikes the Chinese Openbox Receivers, so much..

Comment

• darkbus
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by ecsbox360
              ?| Really |? - Surely your not refering to the 'STBHD_LAN_MM.EXE'

This piece of software does connect via the File Transfer Protocol (FTP) however it does so via a custom piece of software and not standardised FTP software. For example you can not use normal FTP software like FileZilla.

You'll notice from the attached image the lack of a username field. Without this you can not connect to the box using other software. I considered the username may be hardcoding into the custom software - so decompiled the executable.. unfortunately no sign of the username.
              I do have to agree that it is a pretty crappy solution. But atleast you can still connect to it. I find it very handy.

Comment

• ricouskim
                • Aug 2011

FTP is very usefull i'll need to ftp it with my openbox, i hope this soft works well. Darkbus do you think a new firmware could improve the epg system? In order to scan the epg without changing the channel?

Comment

• darkbus
                  • Oct 2011

It may do. The problem with the openbox is it doesn't have the popularity of the dreambox (it may someday. may...), so doesn't have custom firmwares. But never say never, as it becomes more popular it may have more choices which improved user interfaces.

I do hope that people can improve the EPG, as it is one of the weakness of the boxes.

Comment

• TARO
                    • Aug 2011

I have a openbox s10, it works well, hd is really clear on it. It's not as good as a DReambox, but for how cheap the openbox is I can't complain. It's easy to set up aswell.

Comment

• ricouskim
                      • Aug 2011

Maybe if much much more people buy openbox, there will be more and better firmwares in the near future. I hope so.

Comment

• sqazilou
                        Board Senior Member
                        • Jun 2010

i wanted to buy one openbox but the lack of good info made me changed my mind for a dreambox

Comment

• darkbus
                          • Oct 2011

I have to admit, over the last few days my box and rebooted it's self many times, but it does only seem to be when watching certain channels. I have also tried 3 different firmwares and all seem to do it. It is a shame as the box is really good and affordable.

I am on the search to understand this reboot issue more, but if anyone has any advice, please post it! I've tried clearing the channels and rescanning, switching it off for a while and back on.

Comment

• ricouskim
                            • Aug 2011

Is it rebooting only watching hd channels maybe?

Comment

• darkbus
                              • Oct 2011

No it is happening on both SD channels and HD channels.

Comment

• ricouskim
                                • Aug 2011

It's strange... I hope you'll sort out of this problem I just received mine and i'm scanning my satellites. It's a bit special to select diseqc options for a monobloc dishes Astra/hotbird...

Comment

Working...