Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

The evolution of Windows from its beginnings to date

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • microchick
    Experienced Board Member
    • Apr 2012

Re: The evolution of Windows from its beginnings to date

The other thing Microsoft did with windows 8 to get rid of the aero theme. Aero was popular in Windows vista but soon the user found out that it was one of the causes for Windows Vista to crash. They gave it a good touch in Windows 7 and its working fine but these things are really old now and Windows 8 has got the executive look without the aero theme.
    If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• PYO
      • Jul 2012

After WinXP switched to Win7 x64. Had minor problems with hardware drivers, but that was not much problem.
      But when I can't normally view HD movies without freezes I tried FreeBSD with Gnome desktop. And the same hardware with slower ffmpeg codec plays it fine. So I decide not to buy new computer and switched OS.
      There is always another way ;)

Comment

• mahrkpat
        Experienced Board Member
        • Jun 2012

[QUOTE=PYO;232458]After WinXP switched to Win7 x64. Had minor problems with hardware drivers, but that was not much problem.
        But when I can't normally view HD movies without freezes I tried FreeBSD with Gnome desktop. And the same hardware with slower ffmpeg codec plays it fine. So I decide not to buy new computer and switched OS.
        There is always another way ;)[/QUOTE]

Never a fan of MS and always tried to stay clear had a C64 then a Amiga and finally when forced to move to a windows platform it was ME and within a week switched the os to Gentoo a linux distro took a whole night to install from the internet with a dial up modem.

Was a fan of iMacs but they were always too expensive.

My wife a bought laptop for me with Windows 7 installed and was pleasantly surprised though from time to time still go back to a linux.:)
        Liked my post then push the sigpic button.

Comment

• besit
          Board Senior Member
          • Aug 2011

[QUOTE=PYO;232458]After WinXP switched to Win7 x64. Had minor problems with hardware drivers, but that was not much problem.
          There is always another way ;)[/QUOTE]
          I think that's what is waiting for me in the close future.
          XP is my last Windows.

Comment

• microchick
            Experienced Board Member
            • Apr 2012

I must say that I have never used a mac or a linux. Always preferred a Windows system may be it was the way I was brought up. Windows was always good for me with user friendly GUIs. In the past whenever I thought of linux, I saw a system like DOS with different commands. May be my wrong imagination.
            Yes the prices are always scary.
            If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• locan
              • May 2012

[QUOTE=mahrkpat;232485] within a week switched the os to Gentoo a linux distro took a whole night to install from the internet with a dial up modem.
              [/QUOTE]

Oh dear, the good old Dial Up Modems :D
              that was a great time using the AOL Free Advertisement CD's with 30 days of free web :D

Comment

• microchick
                Experienced Board Member
                • Apr 2012

[QUOTE=locan;232534]Oh dear, the good old Dial Up Modems :D
                that was a great time using the AOL Free Advertisement CD's with 30 days of free web :D[/QUOTE]

Yes, and the worse thing was that it would connect only in 56kbps which will give you a speed of around 30kbps depending on your copper wire and the clumsy microfilters. Downloading a software was a nightmare. You had to wait the whole night to download a 50mb.

Comment

• pan1300
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Apr 2012

[QUOTE=microchick;232579]Yes, and the worse thing was that it would connect only in 56kbps which will give you a speed of around 30kbps depending on your copper wire and the clumsy microfilters. Downloading a software was a nightmare. You had to wait the whole night to download a 50mb.[/QUOTE]

50MB? Until about 4 years ago same here, got mostly about 6kbps (dial up), so 1 mp3 (3-4 MB) file took me more than an hour ;).

Comment

• mahrkpat
                    Experienced Board Member
                    • Jun 2012

[QUOTE=microchick;232505]I must say that I have never used a mac or a linux. Always preferred a Windows system may be it was the way I was brought up. Windows was always good for me with user friendly GUIs. In the past whenever I thought of linux, I saw a system like DOS with different commands. May be my wrong imagination.
                    Yes the prices are always scary.[/QUOTE]

The thing with windows was it was so so slow the timer cursor would come up and you would be waiting for ages to complete a simple task, you are right in the early days it was a bit like DOS and being open source you had to find drivers for your hardware not a lot of companies supported linux.

But now days you can get GUI's that look and feel like Windows or Macs and you can customise from complex to simple what ever you feel comfortable with and linux's bring life back to old PC's.:D

Comment

• microchick
                      Experienced Board Member
                      • Apr 2012

I have got an old Windows XP laptop kicking around somewhere. I might give it a try and see how it goes.This way I will be able to compare both systems. I might be a bit old like my laptop to try Linux now but we learn everyday something new. .I just don't know where to start from though. Will have o do lots of reading.

Comment

• mahrkpat
                        Experienced Board Member
                        • Jun 2012

[QUOTE=microchick;232623]I have got an old Windows XP laptop kicking around somewhere. I might give it a try and see how it goes.This way I will be able to compare both systems. I might be a bit old like my laptop to try Linux now but we learn everyday something new. .I just don't know where to start from though. Will have o do lots of reading.[/QUOTE]

Just look at linux section post people were favouring Ubuntu also look at the various GUI's KDE, Gnome etc., think also about what you want your computer do I'm sure you will something to suit you.

Comment

• locan
                          • May 2012

[QUOTE=microchick;232623]I have got an old Windows XP laptop kicking around somewhere. I might give it a try and see how it goes.This way I will be able to compare both systems. I might be a bit old like my laptop to try Linux now but we learn everyday something new. .I just don't know where to start from though. Will have o do lots of reading.[/QUOTE]

Hey i got a good linux distro for you it is called "Zorin OS" it is also based on ubuntu and just made for windows user's, just check it out with google and you will find it directly but also try some several distro's, check them out they are all free ;) and play with it^^. Hope this Helps GL & HF :)

Comment

• Satbeam
                            • Jul 2012

DSL (damnsmalllinux) or Puppy run quite well on older hardware . Both have a nice GUI and a doddle to install or run from live cd .

Comment

• faz17
                              • Jul 2012

Ubuntu is the mire similar to windows but the last version is too slow for an old hardware

Comment

• diabolikoo
                                • Aug 2012

I've an athlon64 2.0ghz single core, 2gb ram, and ubuntu is ok. GNOME is a perfect UI but
                                I prefer windows7 for daily use..;)

Comment

Working...