Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

The evolution of Windows from its beginnings to date

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pan1300
    Experienced Board Member
    • Apr 2012

Re: The evolution of Windows from its beginnings to date

hi

Right now still using win 98 (less and less, bit still works on that old pentium 3), win xp and vista business 64 bit. Must say I use the vista for about 4 years now (I thinkà, and never had problems and very stable (updates keep still on coming, one thing I sometimes have is that an update fails to unstall - possibly because of the 64 bit-version).

So personally, can't call vista a flop ; also don't know why it's called like that - perhaps someone has a different opinion?

Comment

• locan
      • May 2012

[QUOTE=pan1100;219539]
      So personally, can't call vista a flop ; also don't know why it's called like that - perhaps someone has a different opinion?[/QUOTE]

it was called a flop because many many people complained about its new UI (it was soo different than XP :D) and there for every single bug was a huuuge problem :D But me personally had also no probs at all i liked it from the first time after switching from Xp.

Oh and my first computer was an amd Duron PC with win millenium but my first touch with an Pc/OS ever was a Atari (i loved the games it had :D)

Comment

• mahrkpat
        Experienced Board Member
        • Jun 2012

Windows 8 is on the horizon will it be a success ?:rolleyes:
        Windows 7 has been very successful for business and home users will anyone want to go for the new os I for one will be sticking to Windows 7 let microsoft iron out all the bugs and learn the the lessons for the next os Windows 9.:D
        Liked my post then push the sigpic button.

Comment

• bokkie
          Experienced Board Member
          • Feb 2012

I personally have a windows vista pc and a windows 7 home theatre pc.
          I have no problem with windows vista as I really like the UI.
          Windows 7 is a step up form it though.
          Think the biggest flop was windows Millenium edition or windows 2000.

Comment

• mahrkpat
            Experienced Board Member
            • Jun 2012

When I was at college we started with what was called EMMA computer, commands had to be translated into machine code it was simple computer that was used to switch LED's on and off.:D

Comment

• locan
              • May 2012

[QUOTE=mahrkpat;231955]Windows 8 is on the horizon will it be a success ?:rolleyes:
              Windows 7 has been very successful for business and home users will anyone want to go for the new os I for one will be sticking to Windows 7 let microsoft iron out all the bugs and learn the the lessons for the next os Windows 9.:D[/QUOTE]

I will definitely use a dualboot like i always do :) But i dont like the new metro UI, it just doesn't fit with keyboard and mice, i think like
              Windows 8 + Touchdisplay = Win / Windows 8 + Mice and keyboard = Fail ^^

Comment

• mahrkpat
                Experienced Board Member
                • Jun 2012

[QUOTE=locan;232283]I will definitely use a dualboot like i always do :) But i dont like the new metro UI, it just doesn't fit with keyboard and mice, i think like
                Windows 8 + Touchdisplay = Win / Windows 8 + Mice and keyboard = Fail ^^[/QUOTE]

Microsoft are also releasing a new tablet pc called Surface, Windows 8 may suit this platform but I have my doubts for desktops and laptops.

[QUOTE=the-inderffm;219402]Can anyone tell me why windows vista was a flop?
                Windows vista made windows 7 possible, right?[/QUOTE]

The main reason that Windows Vista flopped was its incompatibility with hardware and its use of the hated DRM.

It was also a pointless upgrade just like I think that Windows 8 is apart from the use for touch screen tablet pc's.

Comment

• microchick
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Apr 2012

According to Microsoft, Windows Vista was cheesy which was just right for a teens PC to impress their friends. Thats why the new version was out so quickly.
                  Windows Millenium was not a whole operating system itself. It was one step from Microsoft to remember the new mellinium they added some GUI to windows 98 and released it in 2000.
                  If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• ocram88

The absolute worst were Windows ME and Windows Vista. With windows me, the PC often hangs out and the blue screen error. Windows vista, however, was very slow and the computer found it difficult to run it. Now with Windows 7 is everything to perfection.

Comment

• microchick
                      Experienced Board Member
                      • Apr 2012

Microsoft held the market for a long long time. There were no real rivals in the market against microsoft. The real threat was from Apple. The share price was only £2 in the late 90's but today its over £606.
                      If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• locan
                        • May 2012

[QUOTE=mahrkpat;232316]Microsoft are also releasing a new tablet pc called Surface, Windows 8 may suit this platform but I have my doubts for desktops and laptops.

It was also a pointless upgrade just like I think that Windows 8 is apart from the use for touch screen tablet pc's.[/QUOTE]

ya i saw that tablet and i think it will work very good with it, windows 8 is just made for touch screen and for the future microsoft will do great on the tablet market but on desktop it will have many people complaining about it.

Comment

• microchick
                          Experienced Board Member
                          • Apr 2012

Appearently it looks like that windows 8 is just developed for touch screen but Microsoft has denied it. It will be compatible with any computer, laptop and desktop. Windows 7 phone was a great success so they kept the idea in mind to have the whole operating system in the similar style.

Comment

• locan
                            • May 2012

[QUOTE=microchick;232367]Appearently it looks like that windows 8 is just developed for touch screen but Microsoft has denied it. It will be compatible with any computer, laptop and desktop. Windows 7 phone was a great success so they kept the idea in mind to have the whole operating system in the similar style.[/QUOTE]

ya microchick you're right, but what i've said was the Metro UI is definitely made for Touchscreen, no doubt, i still can and use the normal Explorer instead of the Metro UI in Win 8 and without metro it is very good with Keyboard and mice, i also believe it can even be optimized for keyboard and mice but that's Microsoft's choice to do so.

Comment

• microchick
                              Experienced Board Member
                              • Apr 2012

Just found an interesting article in the PCworld magazine about Windows 8. There are a lot of FAQ and things you need to know Windows 8.
                              Here is the link
                              --http://www.pcworld.com/article/229285/windows_8_what_you_need_to_know.html

Comment

• locan
                                • May 2012

thx for the info, but i know that all :)

I've read many of these articles :)
                                but like they and i said, you can still use the normal Explorer (Explorer is the normal User Interface for windows since win95) but than its actually Windows 7 with some improvements. And On Windows 8 the New User Interface called Metro is the other part of win8 which is (no doubt) made for the touchscreen but now im asking my self why should i install windows 8 but then not going to use the new UI and its features, that just makes no sense for me :D so thats what i meant with even the metro UI can still be optimized so it can better fit for both sides like Apple did it with there new OS, they also added the features from there Mobile products into the Desktop and it fits with Both side Perfectly, But thats just my 2cent ;)

regards locan

Comment

Working...