Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

The evolution of Windows from its beginnings to date

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sossenheim-ffm
    • Oct 2012

Re: The evolution of Windows from its beginnings to date

Yeah, but i don't think that win 8 will conquer the users like win 7
    Win 7 is more popular and spread out more faster than win 8.
    Companys and private persons prefer win 7 more and 8 is only good for tablet users.
    For tablet users it is fine but for the rest win 7 is much better.
    Especially using the win8 metro design with the mouse is not nice.
    So win7 is better
    If I helped you please press thanks button!

Comment

• kostis
      Experienced Board Member
      • Nov 2012

Win8 will win this fight so easy within 2 years. Microsoft lower the price to a point that every pc will go for the win8 upgrade before 2014 (if it can run the WIN8). especially all the pcs with win xp that will need the upgrade no one will go for the win7. when win8 will get a piece of the pie (its too soon now) all the developers will focus on then and make them so much better.
      If my post was useful, please, use "Thanks" button

Comment

• bonilla
        Board Senior Member
        • Aug 2012

The next evolution :windows blue
        Microsoft is moving away from the big-bang Windows release schedule to which it typically has adhered, and is now attempting to move toward something more like what Apple does, with point releases. I'll be curious if Blue eventually gets a version number, like Windows 8.1 or 8.5 or something. And if we'll see Blue materializes in the summer of 2013.

What's interesting about "Blue" as a codename is that it deviates from the city-name pattern that is used by many Microsoft divisions. (The corporate-codename thinking, supposedly, is city names are less likely to be something for which Microsoft will/can get in naming trouble, though that isn't always true.) That said, the Windows team has for the past couple of releases used numbers (7, 8) rather than city names as codenames.
        If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• mahrkpat
          Experienced Board Member
          • Jun 2012

The boot up time of windows 8 is quicker than windows 7 but when it comes to
          running apps or playing games there is not much difference and in case of games
          some games run quicker on windows 7, this is not surprising if you think about
          it, if you have new pc running windows 7 the hardware it is running on will be
          the same as the one running windows 8 and the games have been optimised to
          run on windows 7.
          The advantage that windows 8 might have is that it is trying to integrate all
          your social media for ease of use and to use cloud services eg the release of
          Office 365. But will you want to personally or as a business pay a annual fee
          for the privilege of using Office when so many free and open source alternatives
          are available?
          I still think it is still a wait and see game whether to upgrade or not at the
          moment there at too many advantages of upgrading.
          Liked my post then push the sigpic button.

Comment

• thecrazybandit
            Experienced Board Member
            • Jul 2012

Will windows 8 run on a older machine like windows 7 does or does it need higher spec to run smoothly

Comment

• sossenheim-ffm
              • Oct 2012

As I know it works on the same spechs but I got a laptop which is quite old and win 7 wasn't running smoothly and now on win 8 it works fine.
              I think it depends but I think you sould need at least the spechs which you need for win 7.
              I think I mentioned it before but I would say using win 8 with a mouse isn't that much fun.
              I mean with it the metro look with the apps is ok but on a desktop I wouldn't be happy with it.
              Good to hear that win8 is much faster (boot time) but what will they update?
              Bonilla you said they will make updates like apple.
              We all are used to new windows like vista, win 7 and win8.
              Massive changes. And with small updates we need to see what they will change.

Comment

• mahrkpat
                Experienced Board Member
                • Jun 2012

From MS site:

Windows 8 requirements
                Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2
                RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
                Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
                Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

Windows 7 requirements
                Processor:1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64)
                RAM:1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
                Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
                Graphics card: DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

From this you can see not much difference in the requirements.
                Liked my post then push the sigpic button.

Comment

• kostis
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Nov 2012

[QUOTE=thecrazybandit;264656]Will windows 8 run on a older machine like windows 7 does or does it need higher spec to run smoothly[/QUOTE]

as far as we saw untill today almost all pc-laptops with win7 jump to win8 without problems. on the microsoft site you can see the pc specs before upgrade to win8.
                  If my post was useful, please, use "Thanks" button

Comment

• sossenheim-ffm
                    • Oct 2012

I just can just agree that all pc's which run windows 7 fluently can run win 8 also nice.
                    The chooise is yours which windows you want to use 7 or 8.
                    You could buy win8 till end of january for 15 € now the price rised a lot.
                    I think the win8 idea is very nice but they still can improve it a lot and they will.
                    I will stick to win7 now for few months and when they optimize a bit more then I will install it to.

Comment

• runmo
                      Experienced Board Member
                      • Jun 2010

No discussion about hardware, this is thread about evolution windows software, thank you

Comment

• bonilla
                        Board Senior Member
                        • Aug 2012

Windows blue is going to be with a native excel ? (seen on Cnet : Excel MX) ?

[QUOTE]there's also a reference to "Excel MX" in that job post. Excel MX is likely a not-yet-delivered, fully touch-optimized and Metro Style/Windows Store version of Excel -- similar to the OneNote MX and Lync MX versions of two of Microsoft's Office apps that are in the Windows Store now.[/QUOTE]
                        If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• joseram2000
                          Board Senior Member
                          • Nov 2010

How many people are going back to Windows 7 after its first steps in windows 8?, I mean especially in desktop pc, which is where it is being a bit desajustable especially in offices, with programs that were perfectly in windows 7

Comment

• luk4asz
                            Experienced Board Member
                            • Feb 2011

I'm using Windows 7 and Windows 8 For me, the biggest advantage of Windows 8 is a very fast start, even on an old laptop. I push the power button and for 10-15 seconds I had ready system. The rest is similar to the windows 7. Most important thing is to know the basic keyboard shortcuts and everything is clear.

Comment

• bonilla
                              Board Senior Member
                              • Aug 2012

[QUOTE=luk4asz;270027]I'm using Windows 7 and Windows 8 For me, the biggest advantage of Windows 8 is a very fast start, even on an old laptop. I push the power button and for 10-15 seconds I had ready system. The rest is similar to the windows 7. Most important thing is to know the basic keyboard shortcuts and everything is clear.[/QUOTE]

With start8 you can also have the benefit of windows 7 ,with a proper Start Menu and a desktop from the start (Metro on the right).
                              Very intuitive application ! :)

Comment

• pan1300
                                Experienced Board Member
                                • Apr 2012

hi

Not sure if this belongs here, but didn't want to start a new thread.

Just read Win will stop supporting xp (still on the one I'm typing right now) from beginning of April 2014 :(

Shame, don,'t know if it's worth buying a new OS for this old machine ...

Comment

Working...