Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Risks of cardsharing

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gianni253
    Experienced Board Member
    • Nov 2012

Re: Risks of cardsharing

Originally posted by vanbasten
    are you sure that with vpn we are safe and by vpn i mean i have vpn on my computer but not sure how to even connect my satellite receiever through vpn to internet, is there a way?
    Yes, I am sure, I know what I'm talking about.
    A vpn, by definition, is something that you build up with "friends" and it's impossible to establish a vpn with a public cs server (always by definition).
    A vpn is a private network where a unique system administrator has the control over all the hosts, their network config, their traffic etc. etc.
    Internet of course is the network infrastructure that binds all that, but no one can enter this private network unless admin gives him the required credentials.
    It a kind of "private club" !
    Naturally, if you have a "spy" inside your vpn, security is broken and there is nothing you can do.

Comment

• vanbasten
      • Jun 2012

thanks giann253, but does having vpn on my laptop also protect my connection from my receiver? if not is there a way to make that connection anonymous

thx

Comment

• mahrkpat
        Experienced Board Member
        • Jun 2012

As an individual on your home network the only way to protect your anonymity
        would be to subscribe to a proxy server. In cs VPN would only work among a
        group of friends, the server and the clients would become invisible to the WAN
        as to what they were doing.
        Liked my post then push the sigpic button.

Comment

• duhoki
          Experienced Board Member
          • Aug 2011

thanks giann253, but does having vpn on my laptop also protect my connection from my receiver? if not is there a way to make that connection anonymous

thx
          If your router support VPN then it will be for all your network, if not you have to connect your receiver to internet through your pc.

Comment

• vanbasten
            • Jun 2012

ok but only your laptop is protected if you are using a vpn correct? what about your satellite receiver? mine is connected via cable to wireless router and my laptop is connected to wifi. so i think i am exposed here even though i am using a vpn server for my internet connection

Originally posted by duhoki
            If your router support VPN then it will be for all your network, if not you have to connect your receiver to internet through your pc.
            duhoki what do you mean if my router supports vpn? you mean to adjust things on the dns webpage?

Comment

• gianni253
              Experienced Board Member
              • Nov 2012

Except mahrkpat who has cought well the thing, I think you all are missing a detail: if cs server is not an host taking part of "your" vpn (and a public cs server can't be, obviously), you can have a vpn router, you can have a vpn network, whatever you want, but when you connect to a public cs server you can only do it using public internet, so you are trackable.

Comment

• mahrkpat
                Experienced Board Member
                • Jun 2012

VPN stands for virtual private network, so if the server is on a vpn then all
                individuals have to be on the same vpn to get access to the server if you are
                not then the you can't access the server.
                Now if you create a vpn for your home then all the devices in your home become
                invisible to the outside world but as soon as you access a server that is outside
                this network say satlover for example to communicate with their server you
                would have to become visible again and therefore you reveal your i.p
                Liked my post then push the sigpic button.

Comment

• Satphoenix
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Oct 2012

When you use cs you are defenitly trackable, but who cares?
                  In germany we have a law against bypassing a protection system, but they search for the uploading (in case of cs the decrypted cw) and not for the downloading (request-ecm).
                  But I can calm all cccam-users, the cccam protocol is encrypted so that the sniffing of the traffic is useless. The cccam on both sides change a crypt-word and the traffic only starts if the encryption works.
                  If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans!

Comment

• vanbasten
                    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Satphoenix
                    When you use cs you are defenitly trackable, but who cares?
                    In germany we have a law against bypassing a protection system, but they search for the uploading (in case of cs the decrypted cw) and not for the downloading (request-ecm).
                    But I can calm all cccam-users, the cccam protocol is encrypted so that the sniffing of the traffic is useless. The cccam on both sides change a crypt-word and the traffic only starts if the encryption works.
                    if i understand you accurately, what you are saying is that we, the cccams users, need not worry about being traced and there is no need to use a vpn to try to hide ourselves, if that is the case i will stop using vpn since it decreases my internet speed considerably

Comment

• pan1300
                      Experienced Board Member
                      • Apr 2012

if i understand you accurately, what you are saying is that we, the cccams users, need not worry about being traced and there is no need to use a vpn to try to hide ourselves, if that is the case i will stop using vpn since it decreases my internet speed considerably
                      hi again vanbasten

I agree with Satphoenix: also here (Belgium) the uploads are seareched after, and less the downloads. As I've already said somewhere and sometime before: I don't say you don't need to worry (but hey: no risk no fun , but it isn't that easy to track all 'cccam-client' users down - needs some big cooperation between the providers and the government, which isn't that easy, also there are soms laws about privacy ...

And I admit vpn slows everything down a lot (personal experience).

Comment

Working...