Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Should I shut down/Power off my Genuine Dm800 at night

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GerB68
    • Apr 2011

Should I shut down/Power off my Genuine Dm800 at night

Is it advised to shut down and power off my DM800 at night. If I leave it on standby, Does the fan still run? Is it harmful to leave it on continuously?

This is a genuine Dreambox but the reason I ask is that I went through two clones and powering on and off killed the motherboards.
    I know the Genuine box is of much better quality.

Does anybody else shutdown and power off at night?
  • crooky
    • Aug 2011

Re: Should I shut down/Power off my Genuine Dm800 at night

A dream should be on all day long , never stop
    One reboot a day eventually

Comment

• alfred_1
      Banned
      • Dec 2010

Let me tell you my version. I have/had 3 Dreamboxes. 800hd> (sold) - 8000hd - 800HDse all Originals. And I always power them down at night....Deep standby and switch mains plug Off and I never had any problems. With clones it a different story since since these might have have inferior components.....Remember that the more the units are 'On' the more the components age with time, besides switching 'On' and 'Off one time during the Day is not something out of the ordinary. This is my personal opinion which I have verified throughout the years.

Comment

• tibsom
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by GerB68
        Is it advised to shut down and power off my DM800 at night. If I leave it on standby, Does the fan still run? Is it harmful to leave it on continuously?

This is a genuine Dreambox but the reason I ask is that I went through two clones and powering on and off killed the motherboards.
        I know the Genuine box is of much better quality.

Does anybody else shutdown and power off at night?
        I don't see any problem on power off your DM800 over the night. It will positively reflect on your electrics bills as any electrical device on standby consumes 5% electricity to compare with when they are on. So you don't need it on while you are sleeping.

Comment

• skytec
          Experienced Board Member
          • Mar 2010

I switch off my Dreambox every night. I think it saves energy and power supply....
          Is my post useful for you? Please press sigpic

Comment

• digicon
            Experienced Board Member
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by tibsom
            I don't see any problem on power off your DM800 over the night. It will positively reflect on your electrics bills as any electrical device on standby consumes 5% electricity to compare with when they are on. So you don't need it on while you are sleeping.
            Thats fine advice for people on the continent who have great weather compared to the british isles, But over here in wintertime it is not advisable you need at least some current going to the LNB so that if we have a bad frost 1 night you dont come down in the morning to find you cant watch any channels due to the LNB getting frost damaged.

That advice is just if you live in the UK

Comment

• GerB68
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by alfred_1
              .....Remember that the more the units are 'On' the more the components age with time...
              This is my main concern although saving on bills is also a plus. I was wondering which wears out components more. Leaving it on or powering it on/off.

Thanx for the replies.

Comment

• jochen7575
                Board Senior Member
                • Mar 2011

For the bill and the ecectronic parts of the dream it is better to shut it down over night.
                Specially the power supply is often very lousy cheap construction who become very hot. the capacitors lost their value and the power supply dies.

Today the thermic load is the biggest problem in modern electronics.

I know them all, but my receivers run all day and night because it s faster to start them

Comment

• rraja83
                  • May 2011

Well in standby power consumption is usually less than 1 watt so wouldn't have much effect on power bill...as far as long life of the box is concerned ...most power supply dies at start up because of inrush of current at cold start...inside the box low voltage components wouldn't be affected much whether unit is shutdown or running all the time...
                  anyways even if you can get a good couple of years out of box that is all u would need ..since technology is changing all the time.. in comming years everything would be 3D or so on...so u will need new box anyways..

Comment

• Ditcha
                    • Aug 2011

I have 2 Dreamboxes one a Dm800 the other 500 and a spiderbox I never switch them off my 800 has never been switched off for 2 years apart when im on hoilday

Comment

• GerB68
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Ditcha
                      I have 2 Dreamboxes one a Dm800 the other 500 and a spiderbox I never switch them off my 800 has never been switched off for 2 years apart when im on hoilday
                      But I assume you put it in deep standboy at night?
                      Does Deep standby stiil add wear and tear to components? As someone said earlier, heat is the enemy in modern devices.

Comment

• marty2810
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2011

I wondered similar thing as fan is constantly on with my dm800 pvr but seems apart from noise no real issues , thanks

Marty

Comment

• 123bipper
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by marty2810
                          I wondered similar thing as fan is constantly on with my dm800 pvr but seems apart from noise no real issues , thanks

Marty
                          I'd personally change it. When fans get too noisy, it's not a good sign. Also, if you see the device too hot, it's another sign to change the fan.

If the device is ok and the fan is just too noisy, you can choose if to replace it or just keep it. Anyway, these fans are not too hard to replace.

Comment

• whinpo
                            • Jul 2011

there is a way adding some transistor and var. resistor to silence the fan while running and to stop it when the dbox is in standby. everything is connected on pin8 of the scart

if wanted I'll try to get back the information

Comment

• whinpo
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Apples
                              you can add a potentiometer and regulate manually
                              indeed, it can be an easier solution...

Comment

Working...