Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Warning scam

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mahrkpat
    Experienced Board Member
    • Jun 2012

Warning scam

I'm sure most people are familiar with this scam:

Got a cold call this afternoon from someone saying that my computer is infected with trojans and sending out spam emails and if I allow them access to my computer they will clean it free of charge.:rolleyes:

You can guess what my reply was.:D

Be careful lot of scammers about never trust anyone cold calling even if they seem to know some of your details.:)
    Liked my post then push the sigpic button.
  • bokkie
    Experienced Board Member
    • Feb 2012

Re: Warning scam

Did you get their telephone number, or was it withheld?

Comment

• mahrkpat
      Experienced Board Member
      • Jun 2012

[QUOTE=bokkie;230913]Did you get their telephone number, or was it withheld?[/QUOTE]

The telephone number was withheld.

Comment

• ocram88

I recommend you immediately call the police post in the city.

Comment

• duhoki
          Experienced Board Member
          • Aug 2011

This is a well known scam that have got up in the last months. Here in Norway there is almost weekly reports about people who gets call from some one speaking indian english and tell them they are calling from microsoft and theirs pc are infected blablabla..... But thank you for informing mahrkpat:)

Comment

• locan
            • May 2012

wow that is a new type of scam im reading right now, but i would also recommend to call the police and ask your telephone provider for the phone number they might be able to get the number.

Comment

• bokkie
              Experienced Board Member
              • Feb 2012

Or call your telephone provider and ask if they can give any info on the phonecall.
              Country of origin, if this has been reported before, etc.

Comment

• pan1300
                Experienced Board Member
                • Apr 2012

never heard of this here (belgium), but here you'll never get any info from the provider (against the law) - reporting the police = ok, but I'm afraid that won't help much ...

If this happens, think it's best to hang up and eventually shut down the internet (or be sure you have antivirus+firewall - you can't be too sure).

Comment

• mahrkpat
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Jun 2012

The police know about this scam but can't do anything but warn people.
                  It seems the scam has been going on for years.

_http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/18/phone-scam-india-call-centres

[QUOTE]How to protect yourself from phone scams
                  So what should you do if you’re called by one of these phone scammers? Hanging up would be best, but certainly don’t let them remote in to your computer, and definitely don’t give them any money. If you have been targeted, change your passwords, do an antivirus scan and check for remote access software in the ‘Add or Remove Programs’ section of your Control Panel.

Another family member of mine said the scammer alleged that there were ‘computer viruses going around their area’. Firstly, they can’t know if there’s something wrong with your computer. And secondly, viruses do not travel geographically!

Finally, Which? Convo commenter Kermit has had lots of these scammers calling him, so I’ll leave you with his advice:

‘The best thing to do with these people is waste their time because the longer you keep them on the line, the fewer other potential suckers get called.

‘And you can indulge your creative talents in all sorts of ways to prolong their agony – “This machine takes forever to boot up”, “Hold on a sec, there’s someone at the door”, “Oops, I pressed the wrong button” etc.’

Almost makes you feel sorry for them. Almost.[/QUOTE]

Source:_http://conversation.which.co.uk/technology/microsoft-phone-scam-cold-calling-protect-yourself/

Comment

• duhoki
                    Experienced Board Member
                    • Aug 2011

hehe, my best advice for you all is to record it and post it here so we can se they get owned:D google for it and you will find many recorded events on this. funy when they get mad bevouse you dont find controlpanel hehehe.

Comment

• locan
                      • May 2012

:D

__www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjYgx167ac4

Comment

• spannersmanner
                        • Jun 2012

also a lot of scams coming from Nigera via email,

one below is 100% fake

Dear PayPal Customer,

You have added [email]grahamscobie@hotmail.co.uk[/email] as a new email address for
                        your Paypalaccount.
                        If you did not authorize this change, check with family members and
                        others who may have access toyour account first. If you still feel that
                        an unauthorized person has changed your email, click on restore account
                        PayPal and followthe next steps.
                        Restore Account PayPal
                        NOTE: For security reasons, we will record your ip-address, the date
                        and time, Deliberate wronginputs are criminallypursued and indicated.
                        Please understand that this is a security measureintended to help
                        protect you and your account. We apologize for anyinconvenience.
                        If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us nochoice but to
                        temporary suspend your account.

Sincerely, PayPal Account Review Department.
                        ------------------------------------------------------------
                        Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to thisaddress cannot be
                        answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account andchoose the
                        "Help" link in the footer of any page.

Copyright © 1999-2012 PayPal. All rights reserved.

Comment

• microchick
                          Experienced Board Member
                          • Apr 2012

A 72 years old person I know got a phone call. They said that they were calling from the local council. She is paying more council tax than other people pay and therefore she is due for a refund since 1992. They wanted her credit card details. Poor lady was so happy that she even didnt ask that why they need credit card instead of bank account. She gave them all the details and a few days later she found out that £7500 were gone from her credit card as she has a limit of £10000. She reported to the ploice and her credit card company and they are still dealing with it. It happened last year in November.
                          If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• iiizootiii
                            • Sep 2012

i live in essex and lots of older people have recently had the phone calls saying their non-existent computers have viruses and for a yearly fee of £150 they will take control of it and fix it for them

unfortunatley a neighbour of mine who has a laptop thought it was an official microsoft call and gave them his credit card details - luckily he called me while it was happening so i got him to disconnect and to phone his bank. They refunded the payment

I have a theory on this, i believe the information has been got from the NHS records which were lost/stolen a while ago, they said no personal information was taken but if they have the age and phone number of patients, they can target the elderly

[QUOTE=microchick;231432]A 72 years old person I know got a phone call. They said that they were calling from the local council. She is paying more council tax than other people pay and therefore she is due for a refund since 1992. They wanted her credit card details. Poor lady was so happy that she even didnt ask that why they need credit card instead of bank account. She gave them all the details and a few days later she found out that £7500 were gone from her credit card as she has a limit of £10000. She reported to the ploice and her credit card company and they are still dealing with it. It happened last year in November.[/QUOTE]

something similar happened to my mother, they said a payment had been missed and she would have to go to the council offices to make the missing payment unless........ she had a credit card, she did not so she walked down to the council to find out it was all a scam

Comment

• odysseas1991
                              Experienced Board Member
                              • Jan 2011

This is common, I have had one to answer. What I did was, I played along to waste his time, then when it came to the point of giving money details, I told him that I knew exactly how a computer works and that I was just wasting his time because I was bored haha. Needless to say, he hang up after he realised he was taken for a mug.

Avoid these people as soon as they say they can fix your computer... After all, how did they know it was broken in the first place? They lie to target innocent people that have not got the competency in IT.

Comment

Working...