Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

cardsharing over GPRS. Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PBX_g33k
    • Oct 2010

cardsharing over GPRS. Is it possible?

Hi,

I'm on the road alot and like to watch tv whenever possible.
    There are some mobile satelite packages available with satelite dishes on mini platforms.

What i was thinking of is. Seting up a small (probably a mini-itx) computer consuming 12 volt to use as a GPRS modem running on a linux distro. Connecting a dreambox to this box and use cccam or another cam to get codes for providers. If the coverage is good, which is the case in the Netherlands it's theoreticaly possible to receive codes on the road.
    The only downside i can think of is latency. Since all packets needs to detour through your mobile operators SMSC this will add up to the distance and time the packets need to bridge.
    Does anyone have any experience with this?

I would like to setup a small system to test this and share knowledge on this subject.
    If someone wonders why in godsname i want to do this, the answer is simple. Because i can

I'm a tweaker, i like to try things out. A valid reason isn't always required.
  • anacondama
    Banned
    • Jul 2010

Re: cardsharing over GPRS. Is it possible?

if i well understand:
    i think that some people did this experience with a cellphone running under gprs network and worked great with cardsharing (i think all protocoles) because as i know that sharing don't need lot of bandwidth to work ... 10 kby/s is enough !!!

Comment

• PBX_g33k
      • Oct 2010

Bandwith isn't an issue, but the delay and timing on some networks like Sky UK.

I've already found some embedded GPRS modems running on Linux. If i can get some schematics i could build a dedicated modem. This would make my work much more pleasent

There are some days that i need to wait a couple of hours on location without someting to do. To have a mobile sat. ready in the back of the card would be great.

Comment

• skytec
        Experienced Board Member
        • Mar 2010

I think its not possible watch NDS crypted channels without interupt. GPRS latency is to high.
        Is my post useful for you? Please press sigpic

Comment

• odysseas1991
          Experienced Board Member
          • Jan 2011

How did this experiment go? If you have a 3G connection on the mobile, that would be the highest speed possible from a mobile provider, even a mobile broadband dongle will suffice. The problem being though is the latency since it varies depending on the mobile network signal strength. You can have a signal in one area but not 3G and then move a few metres and the 3G signal is picked up enhancing it. To be honest, I dont see it working that well unless you got a dedicated c line becuase the server will need to be good to help you get a smooth connection. Let us know how it went...

Regards
          Odysseas

Comment

• kursum1
            • Dec 2010

I think you will have latency issues. the ping will be to high to watch most of the channels without freezing.

Comment

• ivorbegun
              • Jul 2010

payg wifi donge and wifi bridge would do it ok but its $29 for a wifi bridge and $60 for a wifi dongle so its not cheap

Comment

• cabledude21
                • Jan 2011

i can confirm that sky uk works perfect on a 3g dongle from three as ive tested on a dreambox 500s using a cat5 to usb bridge

but if the connection changes to edge network you will expeiriance some blocking and loss of service

Comment

• odysseas1991
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Jan 2011

Guys, the ping varies though depending on the connection type, quality, strength and mobile network. If he managed to get a strong 3G signal the ping will be quite high, but these hotspot areas are rare, mainly London recieves this signal the best from experience.

The pay and go dongles wont cost much because the data stream is not alot to decrypt channels. Im curious to see if he managed to make it work to a sufficient standard.

Comment

• os2222
                    • Jan 2011

i think this depends on the time the provider renews the key. with gprs your respones times are very high so i dont think this will be running freeze free

Comment

• odysseas1991
                      Experienced Board Member
                      • Jan 2011

Conax2, did you use a GPRS or a 3G connection? If so, what were the download/upload speeds and ping that you got. I ask this before 2 days ago I bought a T-Mobile 3G broadband with speeds of 0.50mb download 1.9mb upload and a ping of 87. Im wondering if this will suffice in achieving what you did.

Comment

• os2222
                        • Jan 2011

so it`s possible as long as you do not want to decrypt nds? nice. but providers are more and more switching to nds, arent they?

@osysseas1991: i`m wondering that you get such good ping results for your gprs connection. if i`m trying it with my notebook connected to my mobile phone i get pings > 120ms

Comment

• odysseas1991
                          Experienced Board Member
                          • Jan 2011

Its because I live in London, i get a signal quality strength of 99% hence I get the fastest possible connection stream over a mobile network. The T-mobile broadband dongle allows you up to 7.2mbps which is ridiculously fast. Its a 3G connection which is faster than a GPRS even though it uses the same principle...

Comment

• sathya1
                            Banned
                            • May 2011

hai everybody i think freezing mostly depend card sharing c line because i have bradband connection this speed is 200 kbps and satlover free server is freezing on 10 seconds one time pl any one solve this problems

Comment

• skytec
                              Experienced Board Member
                              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by sathya1
                              hai everybody i think freezing mostly depend card sharing c line because i have bradband connection this speed is 200 kbps and satlover free server is freezing on 10 seconds one time pl any one solve this problems
                              If you use the server number 3 is very often overloaded and it is possible that more users are connected to the same c-line simultaneously. It can cause freezing the image.
                              Is my post useful for you? Please press sigpic

Comment

Working...