Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Risks of cardsharing

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • duhoki
    Experienced Board Member
    • Aug 2011

Re: Risks of cardsharing

I dont think he ment that it is legal just as an example to make the chance of getting caught minimal. But true i dont think any provider will allow there subscriber to share the card in a local network. What is the border for local network....? etc.etc

Comment

• bokkie
      Experienced Board Member
      • Feb 2012

I do agree that the server is more at risk than the client, but I still want to take every measure I can to stay safe.
      At the moment cs is not widely known to most people, so I think they would rather not go around busting everyone, as this would give it more publicity and make it more known.
      The time will come when they'll have had enough and make an example by busting a load of people. Servers, clients, etc.
      When that time comes I want to be as safe as possible.
      But this is just my opinion.

Comment

• microchick
        Experienced Board Member
        • Apr 2012

when the company want to earn money, they change the card after few years. Subscriber get them for free and the rest of the world pay for the card. Makes it difficult for cs for few months but can't really stop it completely.
        If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• pan1300
          Experienced Board Member
          • Apr 2012

some comments from my side on your posts:
          - about risk: think the risk for using a local (home) network is small
          - it's normal that people try with local networks, as there are no alternatives if you have more tv's (here in belgium there's a paid alternative for a second card with a few channels, but that's really not good enough) - so people are some kind of forced to be 'creative' - but pretty sure this is nowhere allowed
          - as said: there sadly are some relative effective countermeaseures against CS (eg max. number of channels or changing cards/encryption as microchick said).
          - Further keep on positive

Comment

• gauloises1
            • May 2012

risk in your house:very small,provider can't see how many channel do you watch simultaneously and how many receivers do you have
            still remains the problem with multiple connections to multiple networks simultaneously---sharing!
            As I read the first searched(wanted) is those people who make money from it payservers, like dc + + or p2p (torrent)

Comment

• pan1300
              Experienced Board Member
              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by gauloises1
              risk in your house:very small,provider can't see how many channel do you watch simultaneously and how many receivers do you have ...
              True, but been struggling here (with in meantime I think 4 providers French+Dutch) with the anti-CS measure to allow max 4 different channels on 1 card at the same time, ok that they can't see how many channels you watch, but technical restriction - has in fact nothing to with the risk, just for info.

Comment

• microchick
                Experienced Board Member
                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by gauloises1
                i think local share(in your home network) they cannot see
                Sly Uk has about 8 millions customers. How are they going to control everyone's home network. I think its out of their control to keep a check on home network. If they find anyone doing this on their local network, all they will do to send a kind of warning.
                If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• besit
                  Board Senior Member
                  • Aug 2011

I'm just curious, are there some law in Europe against CS? The law where is written "Cardsharing is illegal"? Here in Russia only thing they can incriminate is copyright law violation. I heard it was a process where some card sharers were charged for having an internet site selling CS services, but not for providing DCWords. As a CS customer you don't break no law at all - you always can say "I just bought this box in the e-market and I don't have no idea why it works".

Comment

• microchick
                    Experienced Board Member
                    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by besit
                    I'm just curious, are there some law in Europe against CS? The law where is written "Cardsharing is illegal"? Here in Russia only thing they can incriminate is copyright law violation. I heard it was a process where some card sharers were charged for having an internet site selling CS services, but not for providing DCWords. As a CS customer you don't break no law at all - you always can say "I just bought this box in the e-market and I don't have no idea why it works".
                    That's true there is no law about CS. All they can implement is the copyright law. In England if they get suspicion then they will check every single thing. Like all your emails, Your computer hard drive and your bank accounts. It just the way they do the investigation here. I have seen it on Watch Dog. They can retreive all your IP record from your ISP so I think just to say "I just bought this box in the e-market and I don't have no idea why it works?" wont be enough. This is really scary but the chances are minimal.

Comment

• bokkie
                      Experienced Board Member
                      • Feb 2012

I think I am going to try using a 3g router and buy a payg 3g data sim.
                      I am curious to see how it would work.
                      Theoretically it should as mobile broadband has download speeds of up to 8 Mbps. Just not sure of the ping.

Comment

• microchick
                        Experienced Board Member
                        • Apr 2012

I wouldn't waste my money on a 3g router and broadband bokkie. As the mobile broadband companies promise 8mb speed but they never acheive it. The maximum speed acheiveable is 7.3MB, depending on your area. The Ping time varies in between 60ms and 1100ms which is really erratic. I dont think it will make a good connection at all. I would wait till 4G launches and then give it a go.

Comment

• bokkie
                          Experienced Board Member
                          • Feb 2012

I tried a few days ago on my tablet, tethered to my mobile phone and I was receiving just under 8 Mbps. Can't remember exactly what the ping time was but it wasn't that bad.
                          I need a 3g sim for my tablet anyway and a 3g router is only about £ 20 on ebay. Worth a try I think.

Comment

• duhoki
                            Experienced Board Member
                            • Aug 2011

If you have the time to do it i think it will be great thing to test and see how it will work with cs. So i vote for yes

Comment

• bokkie
                              Experienced Board Member
                              • Feb 2012

Well it should work as long as I have a decent ping. As the 3g sim won't be registered it should be an anonymous i.p.
                              Lets hope it works.

Comment

• duhoki
                                Experienced Board Member
                                • Aug 2011

True you will be more anonymos, but dont forget the sim provider can track you if they want.

Comment

Working...