Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Caution!!! VU+ Solo2 clones

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlueIsMyColor
    Experienced Member
    • Mar 2013

Re: Caution!!! VU+ Solo2 clones

Originally posted by rizwan
    No retail seller allow you to open the cover of Box to view Inside Components, even it is Original
    If you see the site, it's possible to view some differences "Outside the Box".

regards

Comment

• aplok
      Experienced Board Member
      • Jun 2013

Originally posted by kalpikos
      ... to flash .. after 16 Dec 2013 , ... will get HW error on the FPGA upgrade.
      hello,

so, their FPGA upgrade
      is able to detect non genuine hw
      and stop the process

btw
      do you know if

this test is destructive ( bomb, delayed bomb, rootkit informer ... )

--

i still wonder why their marketings
      still haven't had the simple idea
      to print on the packing a key code id
      ( number, word sequence, ... , QR Codes )

__http://aspireid.com/integrated-emarketing/17-creative-ways-to-use-qr-codes-for-marketing/

so to check it onto their secure site

-

my present conclusion is that :
      - this counter measure is against their interests and profit ...
      - their marketer do not want to make it

Comment

• rpl
        • Mar 2010

Sooner or later it have to happend. Older versions of vu+ were cloned alredy.
        The vu+ marketing is a bit ocourde, I can agree with that. They didn't react on prevoius clones, but surprisingly react on solo2 clones. DM learn from first clones and introduce an verification methode, clearly vu+ didn'st see it comming.

Comment

• kalpikos
          Experienced Board Member
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by aplok
          ... btw
          do you know if

this test is destructive ( bomb, delayed bomb, rootkit informer ... )...
          This update won't damage any vu+ clone.

Of course, all remember the time bomb in gemini images for dreambox clones, but this is something different.

A clone is unable to accept the drivers and the update will be ended with the HW error.
          After that, the user can flash again his box with an older image (before 16/12/2013) and everything is ok.
          The vu+ will works again without any problem.

In my opinion, these drivers won't harm the receiver and it's impossible for a file to be saved somewhere in the memory in order to be used as time bomb.
          If You Like My Post..... Please Press the Thanks Button

Comment

• gianni253
            Experienced Board Member
            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by kalpikos
            ... these drivers won't harm the receiver and it's impossible for a file to be saved somewhere in the memory in order to be used as time bomb.
            I agree on the first sentence, but not the second.
            Drivers can be easily designed to destroy bootloader (after negative check on hardware's authenticity) and, in this case, the only way out is jtagging.
            Luckily Blackhole team seems to be not so bad as Gemini team was ...

Comment

• bokkie
              Experienced Board Member
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by rpl
              Sooner or later it have to happend. Older versions of vu+ were cloned alredy.
              The vu+ marketing is a bit ocourde, I can agree with that. They didn't react on prevoius clones, but surprisingly react on solo2 clones. DM learn from first clones and introduce an verification methode, clearly vu+ didn'st see it comming.
              vu+ did have counter measures in place for previous models as well. My duo clone could not have latest images/drivers for many months, and still can't until it has a security chip upgrade.
              My vu+ duo clone is now sitting where it belongs. In a box in the loft.
              I will never buy a clone again!

Comment

• rizwan
                Experienced Board Member
                • Sep 2010

My point is, How to prevent some accidental purchase, without knowing, whether its original or clone, you may check it later about it is not accepting Driver, can't check it at the shop
                Vu+ Solo2
                Dream Box 800HD,
                Neotion 3000, Skystar2, PTCL IPTV
                HP LCD W2338h
                Samsung LED 40 C5000

Comment

• aplok
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Jun 2013

Originally posted by bokkie
                  My vu+ duo clone is now sitting where it belongs. In a box in the loft. ...
                  hi,

btw

is your 'vu+ duo' labelled 'vu+duo' ?

or

is your 'vu+ duo' not labelled 'vu+duo' but a labelled with a 'clone-name', like, for instance 'uv+ udo' ?

i mean, is it a regular copy of the genuine, (with an different label)
                  or is it a irregular copy of the genuine, (with the same label)

---

the underlying question is maybe the official clone (copy with another name) may perform better than smurgler clone (copy with the genuine name)

thx

Comment

• kalpikos
                    Experienced Board Member
                    • Sep 2011

My point is, How to prevent some accidental purchase, without knowing, whether its original or clone, you may check it later about it is not accepting Driver, can't check it at the shop
                    I see your point and you are right.

The only way to avoid a clone before buying is to be careful from where you are shopping.
                    Select only trusted shops and never buy from ebay or from shops that they are only on a block-page for few days with bargains.
                    I try to find a vu+ official retailers list but I found nothing.

Comment

• fandm
                      Experienced Board Member
                      • Aug 2011

Hi try the satellitesuperstore you should get a original from them just ******.

Comment

• gianni253
                        Experienced Board Member
                        • Nov 2012

My point is, How to prevent some accidental purchase, without knowing, whether its original or clone, ...
                        Also selling price will tell you a lot about authenticity

Comment

• bokkie
                          Experienced Board Member
                          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by aplok
                          hi,

btw

is your 'vu+ duo' labelled 'vu+duo' ?

or

is your 'vu+ duo' not labelled 'vu+duo' but a labelled with a 'clone-name', like, for instance 'uv+ udo' ?

i mean, is it a regular copy of the genuine, (with an different label)
                          or is it a irregular copy of the genuine, (with the same label)

---

the underlying question is maybe the official clone (copy with another name) may perform better than smurgler clone (copy with the genuine name)

thx
                          exact copy with same label. Differences are that clone comes with null modem cable, has a sticker with website where you can download clone safe images and it has a security chip on the main board.

Comment

• aplok
                            Experienced Board Member
                            • Jun 2013

Originally posted by bokkie
                            exact copy with same label. Differences are that clone comes with null modem cable, has a sticker with website where you can download clone safe images and it has a security chip on the main board.
                            exact copy with same label
                            > so, it is what i call a irregular copy of the hardware

this means fraud, an potential custom problem

Differences are that
                            - comes with null modem cable

welcomed if needed
                            is it need for flashing ?
                            can you also flash with network interface ?

has a sticker with website where you can download clone safe images

onlyfor offical clony image support,
                            so zero risk of bomb contamination by genuine official image

it has a security chip on the main board
                            what is it ?
                            is it related with the so called sim2.10 ? a8p ? ferari's stuf ?

--
                            btw

does if have on the rear side of the box,
                            the magic button miniflashup-button

__http://www.sl-forums.com/forum/dm-800-hd-se-files/48021-how-to-flash-estar-800se-with-miniflashup-button.html?highlight=magic+button

and last but not least,
                            what about the quality?: sound, image, speed, noise, connector

Comment

• bokkie
                              Experienced Board Member
                              • Feb 2012

Null modem cable is used.for recovery. Normal flashing is done via usb/network.
                              there has never been a bomb as such. The only thing that would happen if flashed with unsafe image is that the stb would get stuck on starting. Simply flashing with a safe image would get the stb working again.
                              yes the security chip has a similar purpose to those of dm clones,
                              Problems arose when vu+ introduced new drivers and the security chip was no longer fast enough.
                              The cloners overcame this by developing a faster security chip which you would need to solder to the main board in order to use latest images.
                              quality was shocking. Psu's were particularly bad with my stb going through 3 power supplies.
                              the second one that blew took my 1tb hdd with it.
                              my advise is to stay away from these clones. If you can't afford the genuine thing, rather get a cheaper genuine stb.

Comment

• kalpikos
                                Experienced Board Member
                                • Sep 2011

Just for information,

the biggest China's stores advertising the clone VU+ Solo2 as genuine and also they have pictures taken from the original receiver.

Moreover, I have read on the net for at least one clone which after the HW error (flashed with a new image) can't be recovered by flashing with an old image.
                                The clone box is stuck and it wont boot.

... so maybe we talk about either for a hardware malfunction or for a destructive image, a bomb.

Comment

Working...