Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Getting started help? USA

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joewillie318
    • Jul 2013

Getting started help? USA

Hello! I want to try FTA satellite -Im sick of cable and direct tv. I need a little help getting started from a USA person for north American TV --just some basics and Ill learn on my own . I did some satellite TV testing 10 years ago but this is totally different. Im not looking for all the answers just a little help Thanks!
  • pan1300
    Experienced Board Member
    • Apr 2012

Re: Getting started help? USA

hi joewillie318 and welcome

Although I'm not in the USA but in Europe, some info.
    When you're talking about fta, this means only free-to-air channels - I don't know the situation in the usa, but here (Europe) there are not much interesting channels fta ; most of them (movies, sports, nature) are encrypted. So, if you haven't bought a receiver yet, I suggest you do some reading here, there are some interesting threads about good/cheap receivers. All depends on your budget and wishes on the box (open linux: more possibilities, images, can work as a server, but more difficult -> linux aknowledge : or perhaps closed linux: easier, only client). Until now I still have a client box and it shows me all I need.
    I don't know what you really want to know and what you already know, but you'll need a dish (bigger = better), option is going motorised (more sats to receive) and one or more lnb's. Choice depends on how many sats you want to receive and if you want to watch and record at the same time (twin tuner or more then 1 receiver needed) and at least a twin lnb.
    For watching encrypted channels, I suggest you do some reading here, and test some free clines from satlover, they'll give you an idea of what's open/possible.

About what sats you can receive with which required dish, check eg the footprints on 'satbeams'. About which channels and kind of programs there are on the different sats, check eg king of sats or lyngsat.

Hope I helped you, if you want to know more, just ask.

Comment

• Arbiter
      • Dec 2012

There are only 2 satellites that you can receive from the usa, they are DirecTV and Dish Network:
      _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirecTV
      _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dish_Network

You will need a satellite dish, lnb, satellite cable and a set top box that suits your region in terms of tuners

you can read more about receivable channels in the usa from here:
      _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_television_in_the_United_States

Comment

• knap92

Is stronge for so a big country as USA you can just receivee 2 satelittes.....means that they have monopole on the markt of the satellites

Comment

• mahrkpat
          Experienced Board Member
          • Jun 2012

In most cases the satellite receiver doesn't make the difference it is where you point your
          dish, if you have motorised dish or multi lnb set up then the channels you can receive will
          increase, most of us are from Europe not too sure about USA but a bit more research needs
          to be done, I think a circular LNB is required for a certain satellite. To see what satellites
          you might be able to receive check here:__http://www.lyngsat.com/
          and also:__http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-States.html
          Liked my post then push the sigpic button.

Comment

• kostis
            Experienced Board Member
            • Nov 2012

As dear pan1100 the FTA channels are not so interesting. can say what satellites you can get from your location but you can find almost all info from this forum and many people are willing to help. just dont rush and go buy stuff that may not be good for yours needs.
            If my post was useful, please, use "Thanks" button

Comment

• paul.romsky
              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by joewillie318
              Hello! I want to try FTA satellite -Im sick of cable and direct tv. I need a little...
              Hi Pal!
              I think it's good decision to start satellite adventure but if you used cable network you may be disappointed of FTA offer in U.S.

To see what is possible to watch just look to .kingofsat.net or .satbeams.com an choose your localisation.

I suggest you a DVB-S card because you may always use it to watch pay tv as well.

Good luck!

Comment

• cannydo
                Board Senior Member
                • Sep 2011

The satellites that are normally viewable in North America are from 61.5°West to 148°West.

Comment

• rikksow
                  Board Senior Member
                  • Jul 2012

I know there is an american forum for the Amiko Alien and the guy has posted up various tutorials on you **** about all sorts of thing sat related (mainly regarding the alien) geared toward the US

Comment

• kontoni
                    • Aug 2012

in the past sat hobbyists were using mainly c band large dishes.

pay tv packages now use i think ku band.

but for free to air i wonder if they still use mainly c band equipment.

so our friend maybe should look for this also.

Comment

• fandm
                      Experienced Board Member
                      • Aug 2011

Hi try this it should explain the situation of sat in the US
                      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Satellite_television_in_the_United_States

Comment

• parsonline
                        • Feb 2013

you can check some sat in king of sat or flysat in your area
                        you can choose sats for free to air

Comment

• desert_rose
                          • Jul 2013

If you looking for a free-to-air channels only .... all you will need is a big dish, Lnb, cables and any receiver (receiver model will depend on you budget.

also you can check lyngsat or king of sat site to know which channels you can watch with which dish size.

Comment

• peremacedonia
                            Experienced Board Member
                            • Jun 2010

dont try to connect your dish yourself, its very hard process if you dont know how and where to put your dish dont start
                            Rule n.33 kid..... Concentrate

Comment

• fandm
                              Experienced Board Member
                              • Aug 2011

Its not rocket science to fit a dish, or there would be no people fitting them,
                              you cannot do any damage only to your self, and that is if you fall of the ladder.
                              You are not going to get electrocuted, it is all low power electrics, till you shove the power plug into the socket and I am sure people can manage that.
                              The main thing is not to cross the coax wire make sure you have no power when assembling so your LNB and box are safe, it will damage them but not you.
                              And if you are not sure about going up a ladder fit the dish in the garden if you have line of sight to the sats it is better there easier to adjust and maintain, and the 5 metres that you are away from the sat will not make any difference.
                              And if you read prior posts on how to line up the dish you can now sit down slap your self on the back and have a drink to celebrate

Comment

Working...