Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Upscaling quality of Sat-Receivers

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marian321
    Banned
    • Sep 2012

Upscaling quality of Sat-Receivers

How are your experiences with the upscaling picture quality of sat receivers?
    I have a skymaster dxh80 and its quality in upscaling normal sd-programs (resolution 720 * 576 by ~5 mb/s) to 720p or 1080i is average - not really brilliant.
    I've seen mutch better results with the same sd-material on other hardware.
  • Fireflyer
    Banned
    • Oct 2012

Re: Upscaling quality of Sat-Receivers

I use a Zehnder "HX7133". The quality is the same as you discribed.

What hardware do you mean for better results in upscaling?

Comment

• marian321
      Banned
      • Sep 2012

The "art of upscaling" a sd-picture to HD-resolution needs good grafic quality routines. There are some special processors in good homecinema-receivers which do this very well, e.g. reon hqv or faroudja dcdi...
      They do this job even better then the upscaling of some tv-providers, who sell their sd-material as hd-tv.
      Therefore this topic question, because I plan to buy a new hd-receiver with (I hope so) better upscaling quality.

Comment

• DirtyDonki
        • May 2011

Upscaling only resizes it does not improve the picture quality. How could it?

Comment

• thecrazybandit
          Experienced Board Member
          • Jul 2012

I have never noticed that much difference in a upscaling unit than standard sd picture

Comment

• marian321
            Banned
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DirtyDonki
            Upscaling only resizes it does not improve the picture quality. How could it?
            Ohh, it could!
            Reon hqv or Faroudja dcdi (and a view other) do not only strech the picture, they work with coulor and structur interpolation, sharpening etc.
            So they have exellent results on normal sd material.
            The skymaster only streches to 720p or 1080i. Another chance is to upscale extern. With my dbox2 and Humax5400 I get good results this way.
            How is the upscale result with a dreambox500 or 800?

Comment

• Fireflyer
              Banned
              • Oct 2012

What do you mean with "external upscale"?

I have a normal older receiver with only Scart-RGB? How can I upscale this one? Is this possible?

Comment

• thecrazybandit
                Experienced Board Member
                • Jul 2012

no not possible must have hdmi output

Comment

• marian321
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2012

Yes, it is possible with the help of e.g. a good dvd/hdd-recorder. They have a scart input (RGB-signals with 576i) and convert this signal to 720p, 1080i or 1080p. When you have one with good upscaling hardware (Sony, LG, Panasonic etc.) you will get a really good picture. HD-Sat Receivers and HD-TV Broadcasters do the same with their SD-Material.

Comment

• besit
                    Board Senior Member
                    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by marian321
                    Yes, it is possible with the help of e.g. a good dvd/hdd-recorder. They have a scart input (RGB-signals with 576i) and convert this signal to 720p, 1080i or 1080p. When you have one with good upscaling hardware (Sony, LG, Panasonic etc.) you will get a really good picture. HD-Sat Receivers and HD-TV Broadcasters do the same with their SD-Material.
                    I disagree
                    What you described is not upscaling, it's called digitizing.
                    Vintage receiver takes digital picture and preparing it to show on analog TV (composite, s-video), making PAL or NTSC signal. Recorder takes this analogue signal and digitizes it on it's algorithm.
                    Upscale procedure is like this
                    You have SD digital signal (480i or 576i, not pal/secam/ntsc)
                    To make it HD (720p, 1080i or p) you have multiply pixels with some algorythm (bilinear, trilinear,spline, Lanczos e t c)
                    Simplest way is just duplicate pixels
                    Hardest but best way is to compare two pixels and to place between them pixel with middle properties.

I haven't seen no receiver that could improve SD channel quality with upscaling.
                    On the other hand there are some providers broadcasting SD content with a high bitrate so the quality is very good. I mean it's kind early to say good bye to SD TV content.

Comment

• pan1300
                      Experienced Board Member
                      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by marian321
                      hi

me too, a bit critical, I have a dvd/hdd-recorder (sony) with such 'upscaling', as you say has scart input and hdmi output, but I never found the result very impressive ...

Comment

• marian321
                        Banned
                        • Sep 2012

This is quite philosophic. First digitalisation, then upscaling.
                        The method with extern upscale means you have a sd-signal and transfer it to hd. When you do this e.g. with an Onkyo 905 (Reon HQV) you can see exellent results. But I think that a sat reciever doesn't have such a solution.

Comment

• Satphoenix
                          Experienced Board Member
                          • Oct 2012

I've also heard that some receivers can lift up a sd picture to better quality in hd. But I think that this are the more expensive ones!?
                          If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans!

Comment

• marian321
                            Banned
                            • Sep 2012

Absolutly yes! A good example for upscaling is the ps3. It has a powerfull grafic hardware in which recorded sd-sat streams get nearly hd-quality in 720p, 1080i or 1080p scaling. I started this topic because perhaps a good hd-receiver can reach equal results in upscaling. I expect equal results if you use the ps3 as dvb-t receiver with playTV.

Comment

• runmo
                              Experienced Board Member
                              • Jun 2010

keep it to the topic of "udate qualitiy sat-receivers", thank you

Comment

Working...