Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Upscaling quality of Sat-Receivers

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • besit
    Board Senior Member
    • Aug 2011

Re: Upscaling quality of Sat-Receivers

Originally posted by marian321
    This is quite philosophic. First digitalisation, then upscaling.
    The method with extern upscale means you have a sd-signal and transfer it to hd. When you do this e.g. with an Onkyo 905 (Reon HQV) you can see exellent results. But I think that a sat reciever doesn't have such a solution.
    I think pure digital content like 576i it's better to keep unchanged then transform it to PAL, digitize and upscale to 1080p.

Real upscale feature must be in the receiver. Also there are some smart upscalers making conversions between hdmi-vga-component. But I don't think you'll see some picture improvements with such equipment.

About receiver ability to upscal.
    Set your receiver output to 576i and try to check the difference with 1080i (On SD content for sure). If no difference - your receiver just make a simple field duplicate.

And at last. Me myself use Windows based PC to watch SAT broadcasting. App is DVBViewer. In my case there will be absolutely no difference if I set 640x480 or 1280x768 resolution in TV picture quality. If there would be a good software upscaler, I'd know about it.

Resume: An upscale feature is made only for sending different content to HD monitor without changing real resolution, nothing else.

Comment

• marian321
      Banned
      • Sep 2012

Denon, Onkyo etc. use in their better DVD-players special processors (Reon, Faroudja, ...) to get get a much better HD picture from sd-material. The source is a normal dvd which has the same resolution as sat-sd (720 * 576). This are special hardware solutions which cost about 100-300 Euros extra. You can ****** for this and the test-results for this upscaling. They "win" picture-information out of a view pixels by interpolation and "create" HD pictures from sd-resulution which I have never seen before.
      A cheap hd-receiver like Skymaster doesn't have these processors, but perhaps a better receiver?

Comment

• besit
        Board Senior Member
        • Aug 2011

Ok Ok, you are right
        I have seen sony blueray player playing upscaled dvd content on sony HD display with a better-for-eye quality. But
        - I have seen how it's going on GI8120 - not impressed
        - DVD content may be different like DVB content; just try to compare for example 1TVRUS (13E 12597 V) and something like Arab Girls TV (13E 11604H); First will look good enough without upscale, second - you won't save with upscale

Comment

• marian321
          Banned
          • Sep 2012

What about the upscaling quality of a dreambox500 or 800? My prefered target...

Comment

• mirny
            Experienced Board Member
            • Nov 2011

i'm using 720p for SD and HD aswell, bitrate 4M/bit and above is nice from 2meters on 37" TV
            HD-BOX FS-9200,SkyStar HD2 USB CI, Skystar2 90Fe Motor, 85Al Multifeed

If you like my post, or was helpful, don't be shy and press the Thanks Button.

Comment

Working...