Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Total Noob URGENTLY needs your help in the right setup

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cs4me
    • Mar 2012

Total Noob URGENTLY needs your help in the right setup

hi guys,

this is my first post, so please accept my apologies if i don't make total sense or ask too many questions. i currently have a standard s?l?y box + mini dish, but i'm not subscribing - only freeview and don't have a card.

i want to get all the s?l?y package, but i'm not 100% sure what i additional equipment i need. As far as i have read, i need:-

1. A DVB-S receiver, for example a Dreambox with the necessary files/software on it
    2. A subscription to a server that provides the package. Will i also need my own card if i'm subscribing to a server????

My budget for the receiver is £150 MAX! The other questions i have are:-

1. Is the dreambox 800 HD the most highly recommended? If so, which one should i go for 800HD or SE? What is the difference?

2. Are DVB-S cards any good for CS if i got one for my media pc? Any downsides?

3. How can i avoid getting a faulty/fake/dodgy box? i.e what can you recommend that i watch out for? i.e. hardware or software version?

4. Who can you highly recommend i can buy the cheapest box from? Ebay? China? or someone else?

Thanks very much for all your help
  • mirny
    Experienced Board Member
    • Nov 2011

Re: Total Noob URGENTLY needs your help in the right setup

Originally posted by cs4me
    hi guys,

this is my first post, so please accept my apologies if i don't make total sense or ask too many questions. i currently have a standard s?l?y box + mini dish, but i'm not subscribing - only freeview and don't have a card.

i want to get all the s?l?y package, but i'm not 100% sure what i additional equipment i need. As far as i have read, i need:-

1. A DVB-S receiver, for example a Dreambox with the necessary files/software on it
    2. A subscription to a server that provides the package. Will i also need my own card if i'm subscribing to a server????

My budget for the receiver is £150 MAX! The other questions i have are:-

1. Is the dreambox 800 HD the most highly recommended? If so, which one should i go for 800HD or SE? What is the difference?

2. Are DVB-S cards any good for CS if i got one for my media pc? Any downsides?

3. How can i avoid getting a faulty/fake/dodgy box? i.e what can you recommend that i watch out for? i.e. hardware or software version?

4. Who can you highly recommend i can buy the cheapest box from? Ebay? China? or someone else?

Thanks very much for all your help
    you need linux based receiver, dm800se is a good choice
    then you need some plugin emulator like oscam, beware of cccam 2.3.0
    then you can put free c from this server, or you can, buy from some russian servers (it's cheap and stable ))

also for PC you can use a sat card, I can reccomend Sky Star HD2 USB CI
    with acamd or hadu plugin
    HD-BOX FS-9200,SkyStar HD2 USB CI, Skystar2 90Fe Motor, 85Al Multifeed

If you like my post, or was helpful, don't be shy and press the Thanks Button.

Comment

• bokkie
      Experienced Board Member
      • Feb 2012

Mate, if you want a twin tuner like a sky hd box, go for a vu+ duo clone.
      £190 from china, but it is a great receiver.
      You can also go motorised and broaden your options. Loads of free movies, sports, etc out there.

Comment

• toby69
        Experienced Board Member
        • Oct 2011

any fairly cheap box if you only want sky will do, as long as you can enter clines and nlines, then you can take a sub from numerous servers from souces, yes the dreamboxes and duo boxes are very good but you will need quite a bit of know how.
        Do not send me iptv/cline requests,

technical or iptv/cline server questions in PM!

I will not answer!

Comment

• bokkie
          Experienced Board Member
          • Feb 2012

£150 max. Easy stb to get used to.
          Blade 7000 fits the bill perfectly.

Comment

• sonc
            Experienced Board Member
            • Jun 2010

You can get a genuine GiGaBlue HD800 SE for £169 (do a ****** search for uk supplier).

Uses Linux Enigma 2, just like DMM, VU+ or Xtrend. At £169 its hardly worth looking at clones

This is the spec: -
            • HDTV Receiver MHEG-2 H 264
            • 333 MHz BCM MIPS Precessor Linux OS
            • Excellent sound quality in Dolby Digitally
            • 1x DVB-S Sat Tuner built-in
            • 1x Hybrid Tuner (DVB-C & DVB-T) Plug & Play (Optional)
            • HDMI Connection
            • Scart Connection
            • Component access
            • USB PVR Support of external HDD (HDD Optional)
            • 1xCommoninterface (CI)
            • 1xCardreader
            • 2 x USB 2.0
            • Ethernet access 10/100 Mbit
            • S/PDIF Optical access
            • 128 MB Flash / 256 MB RAM
            • USB Port for adding PVR funtions and more...
            • Timeshift
            • Program memory indefinitely
            • Program change-over less than 1 second
            • Electronic TV programmes ( EPG )
            • Videotext
            • Protection of minors
            • Plugin Service
            • OSD into many languages and graphics (Skins)
            • Webinterface, WEB Remotcontrol
            • Videoexits (HDMI, TV SCART (RGB, CVBS), Component (YPbPr)
            • DISEqC 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3
            • External power supply12V

Good luck

Comment

• cs4me
              • Mar 2012

Let me thank you guys for your great advice and suggestions.

Whilst i was awaiting your replies, i have found a Dreambox DM800 HD with Rev M Tuner for £140 inc delivery. It has enigma firmware on it and New Sim 2.10? I don't know if this box is any better than the SE model or if this is better than your blade or gigablue.

I know you've recommended the Blade or the Gigablue, but i haven't heard of these boxes...wherever i go, people say dream box, so my question is, do any of these boxes have strong support like the Dreamboxes in the event things go wrong???? What is the difference/features between the above mentioned boxes and the dm800?

Also what is like having a PC DVB-S card? is it reliable? stable? jerky? not worth it?

I've done dboxes in the past, so i do have a little idea of linux, so i'm not looking for something that is great now, but will be obsolete in the near future. Also i can't use a motorised dish, so the only dish i have is sky mini.

Comment

• bokkie
                Experienced Board Member
                • Feb 2012

Dreamboxes are great, but take a while to figure out.
                Blade is not open source like dreambox, vu+, etc, but it's 20 minutes from out the box to watching telly.
                DM800 se is a step up from dm800 hd. Faster processor, hdmi output, etc.
                Seriously mate, Blade, Vu+, Dreambox, spiderbox, etc, all have support. Just that the dreambox and vu+ take slightly longer to get used to.
                But well worth it in the long run.

Comment

• mirny
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Nov 2011

Also what is like having a PC DVB-S card? is it reliable? stable? jerky? not worth it?
                  I can say that PC dvbs cards are more stable than ordinary boxes.
                  I cant say a bad word on it!

Comment

• bokkie
                    Experienced Board Member
                    • Feb 2012

I looked into a pc dvbs card before t i got my vu+ duo.
                    problem i found was support. Just not enough out there for a noob.
                    Would like to give it a go though.

Comment

• cs4me
                      • Mar 2012

thanks bokkie and mirny.

@ bokkie - i don't mind learning mate...i'm sure since i've messed about with dbox2, the dreamboxes will be similar too.

Now I hope you won't mind me drifting a little here as after what Mirny has said, i'm very interested in the PC DVB cards. The reason is because i already have a media pc with XBMC running and if i can get a DVB card that does the job and costs less than half of a dreambox, then i'd rather go that way.

But my questions are:-

1. You said the DVB cards are stable, but do you get a smooth picture, i.e. no slowdowns or jerking? Any downsides at all?
                      2. What kind of support is there?
                      3. Will i be able to integrate XBMC with the DVB and Card Sharing?
                      4. I need a good stable card which can give me HD picture for S-l-y channels, so what can you recommend?
                      5. Where can i buy it from?

Thanks!

So my questions

Comment

• mirny
                        Experienced Board Member
                        • Nov 2011

I.m using Sky Star HD2 USB CI with DVB Viewer Pro 4.2.1.0.
                        Recording, EPG, plugins OSD menu, every works great without crashing.
                        It will cost you 15€. Dont use DVB Viewer TE2 wich is supplied with the card - it's not absolutelly stable, always crashing, not supported all functions...

For cardsharing you can use Hadu plugin [cccam protocol] or Acamd [newcamd, cccam, radegast, gbox and few other protocols] Vplug for softcam keys. I can say that this card have got better picture than my HD-Box 9200, but sure it depend wich codecs you use.

I bought it from alza.sk but i think that in UK you'll find some sat shop too.
                        I found it from 110€. support you can get at --http://www.dvbsupport.net/
                        Driversy ou can get at - technisat.com
                        At first check hardware requirements, if is your PC strong for this card, specially for HD channels.

Comment

• cs4me
                          • Mar 2012

thanks very much mirny, you said 15 euros for the card? then you said 110 euros? Can i talk to you on some realtime chat, such as msn, skype or irc? i can quickly ask the questions i need that way mate.

Thanks!

Comment

• mirny
                            Experienced Board Member
                            • Nov 2011

thanks very much mirny, you said 15 euros for the card? then you said 110 euros? Can i talk to you on some realtime chat, such as msn, skype or irc? i can quickly ask the questions i need that way mate.

Thanks!
                            I said 15€ for SW and 110€ for card.

Comment

• cs4me
                              • Mar 2012

oic...thanks for clarifying that mirny mate. I was looking at the wrong card all this time on ebay and thought the card you were talking about was only £50-£70, but in that case, i might as well buy a proper dedicated box. But thank you for clarifying again.

Right so now that i know its definately a box i need, i plan to have it for the long term. I'm worried that although the blade seems great for those who quickly want tv, its CLOSED-SOURCE. i don't mind getting my hands dirty, although i would need quite a bit of support to start off with. I definately need an OPEN-SOURCE box. So it seems like the Dreambox 800 HD SE is the way to go, although SONC mentioned the GiGaBlue HD800 SE too - what kind of support or software is there for the Gigablue??? i.e. will the same software from dreambox work on gigablue???....so confused, as far as i can find, the gigablue has very little support, whereas the DM800 SE has a massive support.

I can get the:-

1. gigablue 800 for £170 with DVB-S or £190 with DVB-S & DVB-C tuners
                              2. DREAMBOX DM800HD SE PVR - CONFIGURED - OEM (CPU 400mhz - Sim 2.10) for £190.

What shall i do????

Comment

Working...