Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

dishes

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toby69
    Experienced Board Member
    • Oct 2011

Re: dishes

my dish in uk is 120cm which i bought second hand and has been in garden now for about five years, now approx 10 years old and now showing wear and tear, rust etc. i receive 45e/30w and would not go for smaller dish, if to purchase new dish which make would give best performance, or is there not a lot of difference between makes.
    Do not send me iptv/cline requests,

technical or iptv/cline server questions in PM!

I will not answer!

Comment

• BM300
      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by toby69
      my dish in uk is 120cm which i bought second hand and has been in garden now for about five years, now approx 10 years old and now showing wear and tear, rust etc. i receive 45e/30w and would not go for smaller dish, if to purchase new dish which make would give best performance, or is there not a lot of difference between makes.
      I would go for a fiberglass (rather heavy) or Aluminum dish.
      The coated Steel dishes ar cheaper but have a shorter life.

You have a cheaper option of removing rust from your existing dish and coating it with silver based paint.
      I am told that the silver based paint imroves the dish performance.

Comment

• toby69
        Experienced Board Member
        • Oct 2011

after a good inspection today the dish i have is not to bad, its only got to last a few more years and presto, im off abroad to sunnier climes to live, in avatar is my bigger dish (note, dish is aluminium) frame at rear is steel.

I will not answer!

Comment

• digicon
          Experienced Board Member
          • Jun 2011

If your looking for another 1.2m for over here in Sunny UK LOL then there are only 2 choices a channel master around £350 inclusive of normal a/z ezel mount but extra if you want a polar mount probably shoves it up to around £400 or a Gibertini 1.25m aluminium around £200 + Postage.

My choice would be the Gibertini especially being ground mounted and its a lot lighter than the andrews & arnold channel master, Given the price difference the Gibby will hold nearer its value when you come to sell and move on where as the CM will depreciate by a 3rd.

Comment

• toby69
            Experienced Board Member
            • Oct 2011

also digicon the gibertina was also doing a 150cm dish sometime back for around £300 at some sat retailers claiming to receive nilesat 7w? own opinions on that thou, yes they good looking dish and to even buy on fleabay still expensive.
            i have a 120cm here paid £30 for it, adequate thou.

I will not answer!

Comment

• digicon
              Experienced Board Member
              • Jun 2011

I get my Gibertini's imported from german supplier for my customers far cheaper than buying in the UK averaging around £30 saving including postage on the 1m.

Comment

• toby69
                Experienced Board Member
                • Oct 2011

yes that always seems the best way, go to the manufactures, if i need a biger dish in the future, just in case sky narows there footprint more for beam 2d uk for bbc chns will probably get a 4mtr dish from germany. while there have holiday.

I will not answer!

Comment

• rbonchev
                  Board Senior Member
                  • Jul 2011

In my experience parabolic dishes are beter because they have more reflector surface than offset one.

Comment

• fandm
                    Experienced Board Member
                    • Aug 2011

I would have to agree with you rbonchev the deflected angle on a off set equals loss of surface area, more than is lost by the shadow caused by the c mount lnb

Comment

• toby69
                      Experienced Board Member
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by rbonchev
                      In my experience parabolic dishes are beter because they have more reflector surface than offset one.
                      rbonchev, if you read this thread from the start which i started, that was the reason for starting it, offset dish, parabolic dish, both 270cms, which one best
                      as fandm says no signal blockage from lnb/focal arms on offset, that one in thumb nail is actually my dish. i know off set dishes are slightly oval but believe me they better dish, have you tested both?.

I will not answer!

Comment

• toby69
                        Experienced Board Member
                        • Oct 2011

a bit of info to off-set dishes.
                        An offset dish antenna is a type of parabolic antenna. It is so called because the antenna feed is offset to the side of the reflector, in contrast to a typical axial-fed parabolic antenna where the feed is in front of the dish, on its axis. As in an axial-fed parabolic dish, the feed is located at the focal point of the reflector, but the reflector is an asymmetric segment of a paraboloid, so the focus is located to the side.

The purpose of this design is to avoid the feed blocking the beam. In an ordinary axial-fed dish antenna, the feed structure and its supports are located in the path of the beam of radio waves, partially obstructing them. In the offset design, the feed is positioned outside the area of the beam. It is used for small parabolic antennas or "mini-dishes", such as the Ku band direct-broadcast satellite dishes used for satellite television, where the feed structure is large enough in relation to the dish to block a significant proportion of the signal.

offset better dish, no signal blockage.

I will not answer!

Comment

• fandm
                          Experienced Board Member
                          • Aug 2011

Have to agree with you on scrawny little dishes, that is why they are usualy a funny shape to make up the surface area,
                          with the c mount lnb on a little dish it covers more percentage of the whole area of the dish,
                          so with a bigger dish these percentages fall, to where the offset loss is greater than the c mount loss, and if you try to fit a off set lnb on a large dish you then get signal loss with the lnb arm moving in the wind

Comment

• toby69
                            Experienced Board Member
                            • Oct 2011

fandm, i think, quote me if wrong, that parabolic dishes are really produced to mainly receive the ultimate maximan signal strengh reception from one bird only, i remember docking at port said egypt and just like numerous sky dishes on apartment blocks in uk, accomodation blocks there which were masive, and nothing but large parabolic dishes consuming every bit of roof space.

I will not answer!

Comment

• fandm
                              Experienced Board Member
                              • Aug 2011

That is correct very ggood for low level transmiter signals, i would say that once they get upto a metre in size they become equal, I have a 1.5 not really big to what some people have mounted on a horizon to horizon mount run by a old drake esr 250 reciever so i still have control over skew for tuneing the polarity and sat positions.

Comment

• toby69
                                Experienced Board Member
                                • Oct 2011

thats quite a big dish for uk standards, the bigger the dish the better i always think.
                                can you receive the hbo chns on amos-2europe beam 4west, i used to get a couple of chn off that bird, think they were sport1/2 telespazio hungray, had to change the seca next month key,every month, also a chn called megasport.

I will not answer!

Comment

Working...