Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Streaming over the WAN

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mauropiazza
    • Sep 2012

Streaming over the WAN

I still need your help about streaming over the WAN.

In local everything works using the WebInterface, both with WebTV or by selecting the channel and opening the stream with VLC.

So I tried to do it on the WAN: I opened the door (for now the standard) 443 for webif in https and 8001 for streaming (both TCP and UDP).

From WAN I reach my DM and visualize the webif but when I select a channel to stream VLC responds with the error "the ULR can not be opened ..." and of course the WebTV with "nothing to display".

I also tried to see the recording of a program stored on the hard disk of the dreambox but the message is the same, although in this case, does not use the port 8001 but always 443.

I have to open other doors or wrong in some other setting?

Thanks in advance

(DM7025-v Newnigma2. 3.2.1)
  • skytec
    Experienced Board Member
    • Mar 2010

Re: Streaming over the WAN

Do you have public IP address?
    Is my post useful for you? Please press sigpic

Comment

• duhoki
      Experienced Board Member
      • Aug 2011

Hmm... A quick way to just confirm that there is no network problem, do a clean vlc stream and try reaching it on wan. Btw, do you use Dynamic dns adress (dyn-dns\no-ip) or just your static adress?

Comment

• saterno
        • Aug 2012

Hi,

You need to open also port 21 any 80 in your router.
        It works fine.
        but the internet must by fast.

Greatings.

Comment

• mauropiazza
          • Sep 2012

Meanwhile, thanks to everyone for the answers.
          I am back after a day off from work
          - Yes, I have a public ip and join him correctly: in fact, I see the page WebInterface without problems.
          - Now try to open the doors 21 and 80 and will let you know if it works ... but because I have to open these ports?
          If I use the https protocol should not have put everything on 443? And 21 is not for FTP?

I'm going to do the tests
          bye

... I'm sorry. I forgot: I have to open the doors for both the protocol TCP and UDP?

Comment

• gpaolobvt
            • Jan 2012

I 've experienced the same problem.
            Using LAN the streaming was OK.
            But with WAN I gotted the same error.

My problem was that my decoder was connected to the router with a power plug adaptor ethernet.

This power plug adatptor was very slow, and introduce slower connection when used together with WIFI connection.

After connecting the DM to the router using a 200Mbit Power plug, i was able to get the streaming from DM to WAN.

It may be strange, I do not have any explanation of this, but now it works without any other changes.

Ciao

Comment

• mauropiazza
              • Sep 2012

My DM is connected to the LAN via plug.
              So from this point of view I do not have big problems.
              I tried to open ports 21 and 80, but my router does not allow me (maybe a bug) to open port 80 on my DM. To do a quick test I opened them all (and closed shortly after) and so I can do streaming.
              In addition to trying to change the router, the bad surprise was the cha band is too narrow for upload.
              But what is the minimum to have a good flow?
              thanks

Comment

• bokkie
                Experienced Board Member
                • Feb 2012

I have 3 mb upload speed, and that isn't enough. I've been advised that around 5 mb upload is needed to stream outside your lan.
                I get the same as you. I can see openweb interface, but am not able to view the stream.

Comment

• mauropiazza
                  • Sep 2012

Sad news!
                  I will try to ask for an upgrade of the ADSL line (not at my house but at my office ) even though I do not know if it will be okay .
                  Otherwise I will try to organize a pc x the restreaming a lower bitrate.
                  Any idea about it?

Comment

• bokkie
                    Experienced Board Member
                    • Feb 2012

Think you need to stream through vlc player on pc. I never really looked into it because I didn't want to leave my stb and pc on over my 2 week holiday

Comment

• mauropiazza
                      • Sep 2012

I had read that I should use vlc for restreaming.
                      But what I do not know, in addition to the settings for a stream suitable for the available bandwidth, is how to select the channel to see. Or you can see only the channel that you set on the PC with "vlc-server" before you leave?

Comment

• bokkie
                        Experienced Board Member
                        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by mauropiazza
                        I had read that I should use vlc for restreaming.
                        But what I do not know, in addition to the settings for a stream suitable for the available bandwidth, is how to select the channel to see. Or you can see only the channel that you set on the PC with "vlc-server" before you leave?
                        Your questions got me interested in trying this again.
                        From what i've read you need to paste the m3u stream in vlc, so would have to choose channel before you leave home.
                        if you could control your pc remotely with remote desktop software, maybe you could change channels that way.
                        The other method would be a slingbox, but they're not cheap!

Comment

• uttnls

For those having this error:

Code:
                          the ULR can not be opened ...
                          You first have to zapp (by clicking on the channel name) to a channel from webinterface and than to download and open the m3u for that channel

Regarding the ports, 8001 is mandatory, you can choose to open:

- port 80 and your url will be http://x.x.x.x
                          - port 443 and your url will be https://x.x.x.x or http://x.x.x.x:443

Regarding the speed:

You must have at least 3MB/s upload on your DM800 line and at least 4MB/s download on the remote side.

Streaming triggers the REC mode, so remote control will not work (webremote, iphone or android remote or the classic IR remote) while streaming with the standard webinterface feature

Comment

• mauropiazza
                            • Sep 2012

The download bandwidth is greater than 4MB. The problem is that the upload is too low; I should still be able to get an upgrade.
                            Ok for the 8001 which is mandatory.
                            I thought, however, that by choosing to use the 443 for https, was enough to open only one.
                            Instead, in the test I did worked only when I open them all (I have yet to change the router to see if it opens only 80, see a few posts above).
                            However then I will change the port in the configuration of stantard WebInterface plugins not to open the 80 or 443.
                            If it works then the WebTV interface for me is even better.
                            Tomorrow, if I can do some other test.

Comment

• gpaolobvt
                              • Jan 2012

Consider also that streaming HD channel need more band respect streaming channel with low resolution.

Of course, streaming HD channel let the band to be stressed more then streaming normal channel.

I can see normal channel on streaming... I can also see two channels on streaming simulaneusly, of course in the case they are in the same mux, but it is very hard to me to se a HD channel on streaming.

Let's think about it ...

Ciao

Comment

Working...