Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

IPad Mini : size versus performance

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • findeciclo
    Experienced Board Member
    • Oct 2010

Re: IPad Mini : size versus performance

Originally posted by microchick
    So why do I need an iPad mini, if I can have a N7 for less and have my droid phone provide 4G LTE hotspot for it (wherever I choose to be).
    Why would I need to be at the mercy of iOS upgrades and expensive apple apps, if I can have my Android OS automatically upgrade itself on my N7 without me even noticing it? Why would I want to pay the extra for every iThing, so I can just look geekier?:-)
    I agree at all with you. Apple is "pay for use world". Android phones and tablets let you get the best apps. freeware. Expensive cables, and many more. I have a chinese 7 inches tablet with android 4.0 and works fine. The price less than 80 euros with capacitive screen multitouch.
    This is my opinion. I know performance of Ipad, similar to Galaxy or Galaxy note, but Galaxy is android device and Ipad doesn't.

Best regards.

Comment

• microchick
      Experienced Board Member
      • Apr 2012

Apple's decision to not include a Retina display with the Mini leaves the little tablet's screen outclassed by those of the Kindle Fire HD and the Nexus 7. But the Mini's biggest problem is its price. Apple may not like it, but ****** and Amazon have set the expectation that small tablets ought to cost about in between £150 and £250.
      If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• sweepym
        • Nov 2012

its a smaller version of the very successful ipad 2, which competes with other 7inch tablets but has the same resolution as the original ipad 2 so apps will work the same

Comment

• mahrkpat
          Experienced Board Member
          • Jun 2012

For comparison one should also take a look Blackberry playbook 64 GB the performance is Ipad beater only lack of 3rd party apps let it down but now android apps work on it.
          Price £125 to £150 check it out before buying Ipad mini.
          Liked my post then push the sigpic button.

Comment

• sweepym
            • Nov 2012

the playbook is well built but is a really poor tablet, it forgets your settings, drops off the wifi all the time and so on, dont waste your money, if you want something similar try the kindle fire hd

Comment

• bokkie
              Experienced Board Member
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by sweepym
              the playbook is well built but is a really poor tablet, it forgets your settings, drops off the wifi all the time and so on, dont waste your money, if you want something similar try the kindle fire hd
              My wife has had a playbook for 4 months now and has had none of these issues.
              Maybe sorted with the os update.
              Comfortably surfs the net upstairs and outside with no WiFi problems at all.
              Yes there is a lack of apps, but android apps are easily sideloaded with the ddpb installer.
              My only issue is the long startup time, which is a good minute, but that's a really small issue.
              £119 for a 64gb tablet. Bargain!

Comment

• microchick
                Experienced Board Member
                • Apr 2012

With the iPad mini screen featuring an iPad 2 copying, 1024 x 768p screen resolution, Apple’s stunningly designed, brushed aluminium beauty backs this up with a dual-core A5 processor. The Android 4.1 Jelly Bean running ****** Nexus 7, on the other hand, boasts a 1280 x 800p HD display and NVIDIA Tegra 3 quad-core processor, both of which are considerable upgrades.
                If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• thecrazybandit
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Jul 2012

The best think i like about the I pad mini is to be able to talk to other members of my family with face time the quality of this is great no lag no glitches and in high def

Comment

• sweepym
                    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by bokkie
                    My wife has had a playbook for 4 months now and has had none of these issues.
                    Maybe sorted with the os update.
                    Comfortably surfs the net upstairs and outside with no WiFi problems at all.
                    Yes there is a lack of apps, but android apps are easily sideloaded with the ddpb installer.
                    My only issue is the long startup time, which is a good minute, but that's a really small issue.
                    £119 for a 64gb tablet. Bargain!
                    The bootup time is really bad but I guess it doesn't matter as long as you keep it charged you dont really need to turn it off like a pc. The ipad has a magnetic cover which puts the device to sleep when closed, its a useful feature which is like closing a book.

Comment

• microchick
                      Experienced Board Member
                      • Apr 2012

As with virtually all Apple devices, the iPad mini is an undeniable beauty, combining sleek, seamless edges, a stunning brushed metal back and strong build quality that is unrivalled by anything else on the 7-inch tablet market.

Comment

• mahrkpat
                        Experienced Board Member
                        • Jun 2012

iPad Mini: how the specs compare to rival tablets

IPAD (RETINA) OS (current) iOS 6 Dimensions (in) 9.5 x 7.31 x 0.37 Weight 652g Display size 9.7in Display Resolution 2048 x 1536 Processor A6X (dual core); quad core GPU Front Camera 1.2MP Rear Camera 5 MP Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n Battery Life 10 (9 with 4G) hours

****** NEXUS 7 OS (current) Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Dimensions (in) 7.81 x 4.72 x 0.41 Weight 340g Display size 7in Display Resolution 1280 x 800 Process Nvidia 1.3 GHz Tegra 3 Quad-core CPU Front Camera 1.2MP Rear Camera non Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/norBattery Life 8 hours

AMAZON KINDLE FIRE HD 7IN OS (current) Android (forked version, Possibly 4.0) Dimensions (in) 7.6 x 5.4 x 0.4 Weight 395g Display size 7in Display Resolution 1280 x 800 Processor Dual-core, 1.2GHz OMAP4460 Front Camera “HD” Rear Camera non Wi-Fi Dual-band,dual-antenna Wi-Fi Battery Life 11 hours

Blackberry Play OS (current) Blackberry OS Dimensions (in) 7.6 x5.1 x0.4 Weight 425g Display size 7in Display Resolution 1024 x 600 Processor TI MAP4430(dual core) Front Camera 3MP Rear Camera 5 MP Wi-Fi O802.11 a/b/g/n Battery Life 10 hours

IPAD MINI OS (current) iOS 6 Dimensions (in) 7.87 x 5.3 x 0.28 Weight 308g Display size 7.9in Display Resolution 1024 x 768 Processor Dual-core A5 Front Camera 1.2MP Battery Life 10 (9 with 4G) hours
                        Liked my post then push the sigpic button.

Comment

• microchick
                          Experienced Board Member
                          • Apr 2012

Lining up at a 7.2mm thick and just 308g in weight, despite the iPad mini’s additional screen size, Apple’s first 7.9-inch tablet enters the market with a more solid and reassuring build than the competition. With no flex or creaking when putting the device under considerable amounts of pressure, the iPad mini puts your mind at ease and offers a strong yet lightweight form factor that is more than just easy on the eye and I really appreciate this.

Comment

• faz17
                            • Jul 2012

The only real problem of the ipad mini is the screen resolution. It's only a marketink move. The next ipad mini will be with retina display and then there is no history for the competitor tablet

Comment

• bonilla
                              Board Senior Member
                              • Aug 2012

iPad mini 2 specs

The story goes that the iPad mini 2 will have an even sharper display of 2,048 x 1,536 pixels packed into the same 7.9-inch space.
                              RBC Capital Markets analyst Doug Freedman - who was in China visiting chip companies in mid-December 2012 said: "iPad Mini Gen-2: Apple's gen-2 iPad mini is getting pulled-in, and is likely to have several new suppliers, with TXN gaining content."

Comment

• faz17
                                • Jul 2012

Originally posted by bonilla
                                iPad mini 2 specs

The story goes that the iPad mini 2 will have an even sharper display of 2,048 x 1,536 pixels packed into the same 7.9-inch space.
                                RBC Capital Markets analyst Doug Freedman - who was in China visiting chip companies in mid-December 2012 said: "iPad Mini Gen-2: Apple's gen-2 iPad mini is getting pulled-in, and is likely to have several new suppliers, with TXN gaining content."
                                I agree the next iPad will have an impressive resolution and probably will mount the chip of the ipad 4

Comment

Working...