Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Too many users

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dasc101
    • Apr 2011

Re: Too many users

I just want to add one more thing.
    If it wasn't for the clines posted in other site I would have not known that Satlover exist.
    I found the cline , I checked the site ,
    and now I am here a happy member.
    As I said in one of my previous posts, I have learnt more in few months on this site than in the previous 5 years ...when in other sites they thought that cardsharing was just a privilege of few, and it was very hard for a beginner...
    In a few words ...Let's keep the site it was meant to be run.

Comment

• rickbell
      • Feb 2011

I agree with you dasc101. It's normal that in the first few days or weeks we only watch and learn, but I think that when you like, you support, and when you support you do posts.

That is why I said that in my first post in this thread. I needed only a few visits to realize that Satlover was an amazing forum and community. And then I wanted to get involved and started posting.

Please note that I don't want any member to be banned or anything like that, I just gave a suggestion that I think would be helpful to this forum. Satlover is already a great forum, but I think as members we should get involved to make this forum even better.

Hope I don't get misunderstood.

Comment

• tibsom
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by dasc101
        I just want to add one more thing.
        If it wasn't for the clines posted in other site I would have not known that Satlover exist.
        I found the cline , I checked the site ,
        and now I am here a happy member.
        As I said in one of my previous posts, I have learnt more in few months on this site than in the previous 5 years ...when in other sites they thought that cardsharing was just a privilege of few, and it was very hard for a beginner...
        In a few words ...Let's keep the site it was meant to be run.
        Nice one, that makes me think about become premium member as well, do you still going well with your cline?

I do not think it would be fair to delete users for not logging in in 1 month time. not even in 3 months time. I agree that the forum should be carefully monitored and members that stay away for quite long time (time to be carefully decided by Satlover) should be notified at least 3 times and then deleted if non response. However, Deleted user should have the opportunity to become member again if they had a very good contribution before banned. The reason I say that is that sometimes you are not here to comment because you are busy working, in hospital, or doing some other important things and not able to support the forum at the time, but it doesn't mean you abandoned the boat.

Comment

• dasc101
          • Apr 2011

I am fine with my clines , they work well, and have once in while the same problems as mentioned in other
          posts. It is not a real problem when this happens Satlover works to fix the problem as soon as he can. When this happens is not for all providers , and you have a variety to chose from.

Regarding the deleting account, we know that might be several reason that could not allow a member to log in , or might log in and not be able to post,
          My thought is that for how long he could stay away from the site , he should just be welcome when he is back and told that he was just missed by the community here.

Comment

• whinpo
            • Jul 2011

I run a forum dedicated to a well know luxuous sport cars brand. (nearly 10.000 different visitors a day) and I begin to be quite old on Internet now

when you think about it you notice there are so many types of users (as there are different schoolmates in a class or players in a team..) :
            * the ones willing to actively participate and who can really help, or at least try to
            * the ones willing to actively participate and who have really no knowledge for the moment and need time
            * the ones willing only to follow the community but too shy to say something
            * the ones willing only to take profit (and sometimes even on a financial way...), working underground proposing services....
            * the ones who don't care at all about the community
            and so on and so on...

So people belonging to what we could call the "willing to help and enjoying the place group" will often try to close the door to prevent others to enter...

I believe that's a normal human behaviour, once you fell well in a place, you try to secure it and just want to be with the others you consider as friends...(same as a house, a club...)

for me that's an error... the more people you allow to join the better community quality you get. And there is always some kind of darwinism in the life of a forum...some users appear, others who were considered as very important disapear and nobody remember them 3 months later...

that's only like in real life

I will add that the way the Satlover servers access are managed is clever and is incitative to keep the community alive...

So keep it this way and thanks everybody for this great forum

Comment

• mochaart
              • Oct 2010

I totally agree with whinpo.
              Satlover forum is a kind of model of society/world we live everyday. So, maybe it's no ideal one but ... there's lots of good things to find for everybody. :-)

Comment

• MR Download
                • Jul 2011

for my mind it should always be free for everyone

Comment

• dasc101
                  • Apr 2011

Whinpo
                  you made a great analisys of the various type of members
                  and I recognize myself in the various type but not in the ones tending to close the door.
                  this behaviour is just selfish

Comment

• whinpo
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by dasc101
                    Whinpo
                    you made a great analisys of the various type of members
                    and I recognize myself in the various type but not in the ones tending to close the door.
                    this behaviour is just selfish
                    i agree with you that's why I didn't say that ALL users were trying to close the doors...
                    And I'll add the problem is that the selfish users often speak more loudly and are more organized than the normal users. when they request it , whatever happens, it creates noise and a bad ambiance between members...

that's not so easy to manage from an site owner/adminsitrator/moderator point of view...

Comment

• euroslob
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Apples
                      Yes it's in general refered to the big number of users in the forum and a little analisys of the situation and possible, if exists, solutions
                      I know of other forums that use this software which I think is either hosted in the states or Canada, I have experienced them to be a lot slower than this one with far less users!

What can be a problem and doesn't help download speeds is all the poxy adverts that load when you open the site on your browser, the more the adds the slower the site, to be truthful I haven't experienced the problem yet that people here are griping about.

But I guess these sites do need the revenue from adds to keep going.

Comment

• housy01
                        • May 2011

I guess ads should stay but it's the problem of all websites that are growing up, they needs a compromise between ads, number of members and hosting server performance.
                        It seems that Satlover works great for now, but maybe in the future it will slow down...

Comment

• euroslob
                          • Jul 2011

What I have noticed housy01 is that the Vodafone advert could be the main culprit, I'm a mod on a sat uk forum and since they started hosting it seams to have slowed things down considerably, in fact if you hadn't known any different you would have thought your browser had a problem!

I didn't realise that an ad with flash could suck up so much!

Comment

• peter100
                            • Aug 2011

I guess as long as each ad is checked for server stability and speed you can add them to almost any site. Always a good idea to carefully pick you ad placement and then check their server speeds before adding their content. During editing you can select to leave the ad so that they load at the end of page load activities as to put your content in front of everyone before add placement.

Pete

Comment

Working...