Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Is it better DVB-T or satellite? ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • findeciclo
    Experienced Board Member
    • Oct 2010

Is it better DVB-T or satellite? ...

Is it better to DVB-T or satellite? ...

In the vast majority of times we talk about the different problems that caused the transition from analogue to digital television using DVB-T as support to send us the new digital signals, states would have been better to use the signals satellite for this purpose, but is this really true? Is it better to use the satellite compared to DVB-T signals broadcast?

We will try to analyze the advantages and disadvantages to both systems provide important seen from several aspects: The reception or signal acquisition, signal distribution to the user and finally the different devices that process the signals.

In the end, we can draw our own conclusions and see which system wins: the satellite or DVB-T.

We begin by analyzing the advantages and disadvantages seen from the most fundamental part of our system is, the signal reception:

Signal reception is the main advantage with playing the satellite and its obvious advantage. The signal is received by a simple dish that is dependent on the satellite signal is given us, but if we consider that, Astra or Hispasat possibly the elect would we be satisfied with a simple antenna of 60 cm. The satellite signal is emitted from a point on the Earth's orbit, so basically, the signal "drops" of heaven and it is therefore difficult recepcionar can not. Except for some specific problem miss having some obstacle like trees or tall buildings nearby, it would be difficult not to receive the signal with our dish. In the case of DVB-T, this is its weakest point numbers because there are known problems in receiving signal repeaters ranging from not properly adapted spelling difficulties of the terrain, obstacles to signal reception, signal overlap between different relays, the effects produced in the reception signal by the different environmental conditions that may occur, etc. ..

As we see, the satellite signal is very easy for us to properly get to where we stand, but we must consider and look: the fact that to receive the satellite signal, first we have to find a place to ride our satellite dish. The antenna must be aimed at a point in the space at 35,000 miles away and this makes your pointing has to be perfect, with no possibility of diversion. Many homes now have a simple antenna on their balconies, may not have the correct orientation for mounting your satellite dish so you would have to choose to raise the antenna to the roof. Because many houses roofs are not designed nor intended for that purpose, to find a place to mount the antenna or support for it can be somewhat complicated leading to that house, ran out to receive the signal via satellite. To receive the DVB-T signal, the antenna must also be directed to the repeater but generally have a tolerance that although not 100% can be targeted or some obstacle in the way, we can still receive sufficient signal run smoothly. Even if the conditions are right, a simple horn antenna in our house, we could enjoy the DVB-T signal.

It is common to talk about problems with DVB-T signal when the weather is adverse but satellite dishes are not entirely immune to the problem. The function of the dish of the parabolic mirror is the received signal from the satellite to the LNB. If for any reason the plate (heavy rain, snow accumulation, wind, etc ...), do not perform this function, we will lose the signal temporarily until you restore operation.

Another great advantage is that the satellite is its ability to emit a large number of signals which results in a greater capacity for receiving data by the user.

A higher rate of data received that benefit us and would not require that the images or sound, they were so compressed as with DVB-T signal so that, not only would gain in image quality SD channels but also, would win HD quality channels. We could have surround sound smooth or more issues with the audio in the original.

To clarify that the benefits discussed in this last paragraph, is always talking about having the capacity to transmit satellite signals, but these signals are conditioned as always are provided by different operators. If operators have no intention to improve the services provided, it will not matter if we use DVB-T or satellite images will still fake HD (rescaled SD), normal sound and in rare cases, with possibility to listen to the original etc. ...

A major problem that has arisen with the entry of DVB-T is miss not being able to receive the signal of regional channels outside the autonomous community in which we find ourselves as with analog TV. In some cases and by proximity to other communities, such signals can be received by overflow but, if we used the satellite, would easily be able to reach the entire country, each and every one of the regional channels available can enjoy any channel autonomic, at any time, independently of the autonomous community in which we are located at the time.

For the DVB-T, radio spectrum available is quite limited and because over time, it is using some other services, available capacity is reduced. This means that in order to optimize the radio spectrum available, the content of the signals have to be over-compress, reduce the number of available channels and channels "HD" really do not have the quality that is expected of them and are mostly a mere rescaling of the SD image. That gives limited spectrum turn the problem of finding a clear frequency channel or where to locate new muxes, either to provide new services as may be new HD channels or simply improve existing ones. With the satellite, it is easy to enable new signals and thus, we can enjoy more and better content but also their radio spectrum is limited, this is much more extensive than that available for DVB-T. An example is that an individual antenna oriented Astra 19.2 ° can get to get in our house about 1000 TV stations (free + coded) and many other radio, something that for DVB-T is totally unthinkable.

As mentioned above, the main signal reception is a dish so in individual homes, the cost of installation would be a very even the installation of an antenna DVB-T. It is in collective antenna installations where the satellite signal reception, the system also takes advantage of TDT. For a satellite antenna system, enough to add a simple amplifier installation, while for DVB-T in the vast majority of cases, you opt for single-channel amplifiers or programmable core, both of which are more expensive than an amplifier for satellite signals. Furthermore, we must have that if signal reception problems DVB-T should mount the turrets for that, if a considerable height, the total cost of the installation of an antenna DVB-T fires. In DVB-T collective facilities, the amplifiers have systems designed to amplify a certain frequency, makes any changes in the emission of signals will lead to a corresponding change in these amplifiers in order to empower the new signals and this, in turn, an additional cost on to the end user. For satellite signals, this is not a problem because they are often used amplifiers amplify all the available bandwidth so any variation in the signals, users receive them without any problems and resintonizando the receiver, the problem would already be solved. Just in case the satellite signals polarity change would require a small adjustment in the dish installation or modification to solve the problem.

Finally, although it is something very important because we will rely greatly on the satellite that could be used to deliver the DVB-T signal, we have a small incentive can receive Freeview also available on satellite.

As discussed throughout this article, the satellite signal has many advantages over the DVB-T signal is true that also have their drawbacks but overall, these minor inconveniences are highly likely to be solved in some way while the disadvantages of using DVB-T signal, in many cases are difficult to solve or even no chance of solving them.

Best regards.
    • Apr 2012

Re: Is it better DVB-T or satellite? ...

fyi guys: see also recent topic: _hxxp://***.satlover.eu/forum/satellite-discussion-english/44434-differences-dvb-t-to-dvb-s-2.html

Comment

• findeciclo
      Experienced Board Member
      • Oct 2010

It is a complementary information. Either way I had not seen the post that you mentioned, it is impossible to have knowledge of all the posts that are published in this forum.
      This is more a report than an argument in itself, but again can be considered complementary, of course I thank you for referring the other post.
      Best regards.

Comment

• microchick
        Experienced Board Member
        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by findeciclo
        It is a complementary information. Either way I had not seen the post that you mentioned, it is impossible to have knowledge of all the posts that are published in this forum.
        This is more a report than an argument in itself, but again can be considered complementary, of course I thank you for referring the other post.
        Best regards.
        DVB-T is something you can watch Freeview with. I got one from Hauppage and take it with me when i go to France to watch French Freeview on my Laptop. The signal is good and the picture quality is really superb with lots of other options like subtitles and audio options.

Sattelite TV is something I wouldn't watch on my computer. If I want satellite TV i would buy a cheap box and watch it on my telly. PC are not made for the purpose of TV. So whatever the picture quality is, they can't beat a good Big telly.
        If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• cisko
          Banned
          • Sep 2012

Is better to have both systems. DVB-T has many local TVs that satellite hasn't.
          But dvb-t televisions are cheaper than dvb-s (dvb-s2 better) tvs, and, in some case a dvb-t tv with an external dvb-s2 stb is also more cheaper than a twin system television, so i prefer dvb-t to satellite reception because I can use only one device and only one remote without spending a lot.

Comment

• sonc
            Experienced Board Member
            • Jun 2010

As mentioned above we have a recent thread on the merits of dvb-t and dvb-s, so don't need to repeat it all here.

Comment

Working...