Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Disk size - Diseqc or Actuator

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pan1300
    Experienced Board Member
    • Apr 2012

Disk size - Diseqc or Actuator

Hello guys

This following thread in continuation to my previous one about motorised dish.

With thoughts of future additional motorised dish I'm doubting about the following.
    I intended to install an old used 2m dish, but this motor/actuator need to be powered (my boxes can't do this) - I perhaps have the possibility to use an old echostar for this (think 7000). Someone I know (who also sells sats/dishes/setups) told me this dish wouldn't be better than a new dish of 1,2m, with the advantage here I can use my boxes to turn the Diseqc-motor. He gave as a reason that there must be sort of a frame in front of the bigger dish (which will block signal), while on the little one there's just a little arm to hold the lnb.

My feeling says the bigger dish must theoretically be better (stronger signal + more sats in reach), or am I wrong and wouldn't this mak a difference to a smaller (new) 1,2m dish.

So: ideas, suggestions and findings welcome!

Also general info between diseqcmotor and actuator welcome (speed, usage, durability, easy-to-use, ...)

thanks and best regards

pan
  • bokkie
    Experienced Board Member
    • Feb 2012

Re: Disk size - Diseqc or Actuator

I have the same feeling as you. As long as there is no damage to the 2 metre dish I can't really see a 1.2 metre dish having the same results.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but that is my thoughts on it.
    Do you know what brand the dish is?

Comment

• Mobley3
      Experienced Board Member
      • Jun 2012

Hi pan1100, I can only think your friend is talking about a C 120 Flange LNB, this would require a separate Feedhorn and certainly would be larger than what you would be using on an offset dish like the 1.20.M one would have, people have been using this arrangement for many many years as it only in relatively recent years that offset dishes have become the norm on smaller installations. I would certainly think the 2.0M dish would ultimately be a lot better,although it will probably cost you substantially more to get it all working, certainly if you are going to motorize it.

Regards Mobley3

mobley3

Comment

• toby69
        Experienced Board Member
        • Oct 2011

hi pan,
        sounds like the bigger dish you talking about pan is a c-band dish, not many off-sets over the size of 150cm, but i could be wrong, i had the same bit of disagreement sometime ago about my dish in avatar, this one is 270cm off-set, the disagreement was which is the better dish, (off-set, or c-band, both same size)
        result was off-set better as no interuptions of signal via lnb mount.
        dont know if this will help, there is a thread somewhere in english section, (dishes)
        perhaps a look might help.
        take care
        toby
        Do not send me iptv/cline requests,

technical or iptv/cline server questions in PM!

I will not answer!

Comment

• pan1300
          Experienced Board Member
          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by bokkie
          Do you know what brand the dish is?
          hi bokkie, no brand, just an old white dish, needs to be repainted and perhaps even polished ...

Originally posted by toby69
          hi pan,
          sounds like the bigger dish you talking about pan is a c-band dish
          hi toby

sorry, but ... what's the difference between off-set and c-band dish? + How can you see the difference? Or is it just the mounting of the lnb? Or perhaps the frame itself: 'pre-installed curve' on off-set?
          The big dish: well, this would be a 'project' to start: no arm yet, no lnb, no frame, ...

Comment

• toby69
            Experienced Board Member
            • Oct 2011

off-set is where the lnb is lower than the middle part off the dish, (no blockage from signal)
            c-band mainly for reception of 1 sat with lnb normally mounted in centre (slightly blocking signal) of dish by 3 struts.

-------------------
            why not post a pic here.
            Do not send me iptv/cline requests,

technical or iptv/cline server questions in PM!

I will not answer!

Comment

• bokkie
              Experienced Board Member
              • Feb 2012

From what I've read, he is correct about the diseqc motor.
              most people don't recommend larger than about 1.2 metre dish.
              probably a bit larger if it's a mesh dish as they are significantly lighter.
              Is there any particular package you are trying to get?

Comment

• digicon
                Experienced Board Member
                • Jun 2011

hi pan,
                sounds like the bigger dish you talking about pan is a c-band dish, not many off-sets over the size of 150cm, but i could be wrong, i had the same bit of disagreement sometime ago about my dish in avatar, this one is 270cm off-set, the disagreement was which is the better dish, (off-set, or c-band, both same size)
                result was off-set better as no interuptions of signal via lnb mount.
                dont know if this will help, there is a thread somewhere in english section, (dishes)
                perhaps a look might help.
                take care
                toby

Channel master made a 1.8m offset just for the record and can still be picked up secondhand if needed, A prime focus dish is not always used for C-Band mostly used for Ku Band with a suitable C120 and feedhorn, also on the subject of C120 and feedhorn to get the maxiumum benefit out of a CM 1.2m you should really use a C120 and CM matched feedhorn they make a big difference.

Comment

• pan1300
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Apr 2012

why not post a pic here.
                  dish isn't at my home right now

Originally posted by bokkie
                  Is there any particular package you are trying to get?
                  no, still searching and learning ; for me: as much as possible

Originally posted by digicon
                  Channel master made a 1.8m offset just for the record and can still be picked up secondhand if needed, A prime focus dish is not always used for C-Band mostly used for Ku Band with a suitable C120 and feedhorn, also on the subject of C120 and feedhorn to get the maxiumum benefit out of a CM 1.2m you should really use a C120 and CM matched feedhorn they make a big difference.
                  hi digicon,

any idea what dish would be better (better reception and more sats)??

TIA

Comment

• digicon
                    Experienced Board Member
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by pan1100
                    dish isn't at my home right now

no, still searching and learning ; for me: as much as possible

hi digicon,

any idea what dish would be better (better reception and more sats)??

TIA
                    Depends which satellite's you want to view, if you already have a 2m dish then maybe cleaning and restoring this will be more practical than buying another smaller one, You could always try a standard LNB first but i doubt it would illuminate the whole dish it may for instance only see the 2m as a 1.5m so a matched feedhorn and C120 LNBF would be better.

As for motor for a 2m or even as smallas a 1.2m you should be using an Actuator between 18" & 36" heavy duty on a 2m dish this will outlast any Diseqc motor by years with regular cleaning and maintenance ( Greasing Moving parts ).

The actuator can be powered by either your old Echostar if you so wish but if you want to get a Vbox II or a Gbox 3000 which are cheap these will connect into any receiver available today and control the motor via diseqc 1.2 commands.

Comment

• McrRed
                      • Jul 2012

C Band? Ku Band? Offsets? A bit technical for me.

My only contribution would be to say I was bowled over how easy it was getting a diseqc motor to work compared to my old actuator set up years back. Got to be worth factoring in ease of maintenance, surely?

Comment

• Satbeam
                        • Jul 2012

Powering the actuator for initial experimental purposes can be achieved with a 12v PSU and a rocker switch . I had success years ago with this method . I mounted the rocker switch in a tablet container . I switch channel on particular satellite before switching rocker . 12v instead of 36v meant slower movement which helped not to pass expected satellite . Using this method would help you decide from a signal strength point of view , if it's worthwhile investing more funds in setup .

Comment

• pan1300
                          Experienced Board Member
                          • Apr 2012

hi Satbeam

you're right ; did this this week at someone I know, power the motor by a 12V battery and a simple switch left/right, works fine ; the guy is pleased with this and won't use another powering method atm ...

Comment

• dmgp
                            • Sep 2011

As said DiSeqc motors are not suitable for larger dishes, I have found actuators last about 10 years with heavy use before the unit starts to get a bit of backlash and adjustments are necessary more and more frequently.
                            Getting the correct backplate or making one could be difficult as is getting the correct length of feedarm/lnb feedhorn mount to position the lnb at the right focal point. DiSeqc is slower to go from A to B, ( Only 14 or 18 volts ) I believe those receivers which drove actuators started at a few volts which slowly increased to a maximum of 36 volts, not sure about V boxes as I use a Superjack stand alone positioner and haven't measured the volts.

Comment

Working...