Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Offset dish with actuator motor?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mmoloch
    • Mar 2013

Re: Offset dish with actuator motor?

Looks like I still have to make some changes to the system, the mast now is taller than before and "shakes" a bit... so I'll make something like a tripod for the mast stay more stable, something like this:

57ºE:

've also catch a few more sats, now I'm getting all sats between 57ºE and 61ºW

Comment

• kalpikos
      Experienced Board Member
      • Sep 2011

I agree with you my friend, that you need something that can make stable the mast for the strong winds because it's a little larger than normal.

You need a dish tripod mount with center mast

I think you can easily find it at the market but the difficult is to find a tripod that can be fitted to the mast without take off the dish.

Another problem is the way that you will mount the tripod on the rooftop-tiles.
      I think it will not be an easy job.
      If You Like My Post..... Please Press the Thanks Button

Comment

• pan1300
        Experienced Board Member
        • Apr 2012

hi mmoloch

As you seem to be a bit handy, wouldn't it be easier&cheaper to make something yourself (I think of 3 bars, bolted or welded to a ring - that ring can be bolted around your pole). I believe the biggest problem would be making 3 extra holes through your roof (or will you kind of glue/stick them to your rooftiles -> won't be very stable).

Comment

• kalpikos
          Experienced Board Member
          • Sep 2011

Hi pan1100

I think it's very difficult for him to make by himself such a construction that needs welding, on a roof with angle.

Moreover, the pole can't be welded because usually it's very thin and it will melt or burn.

It's better for him to look for something ready made from a shop.
          I think he can find it for about 15-20€.

@mmoloch
          I was thinking about how to mount the tripod on the rooftiles and remember that I saw some wooden trusses under the tiles.

Maybe you can mount the tripod in these wooden trusses but in order to do that you have to mod the tripod to be long enough to reach the wooden trusses.

Comment

• mmoloch
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by pan1100
            hi mmoloch

As you seem to be a bit handy, wouldn't it be easier&cheaper to make something yourself (I think of 3 bars, bolted or welded to a ring - that ring can be bolted around your pole). I believe the biggest problem would be making 3 extra holes through your roof (or will you kind of glue/stick them to your rooftiles -> won't be very stable).

That was my idea from the beginning... I have the system very well aligned and not want to unmount it again so is easier and cheaper to make something myself.

I'll do 3 extra holes in the roof and weld the 3 bars to the mast.

@kalpikos, with that tripod I'll have the same problem I'm having now, if I put a 3 meters mast in that tripod the last meter will shake as is shaking now.

Comment

• kalpikos
              Experienced Board Member
              • Sep 2011

The tripod I was thinking about is placed on the roof, on the tiles and it will be added to everything you have until now.

Of course, if you can make a mount by yourself, it will be perfect.

I like your idea with the 3 bars and I wish you success in your project.
              Don't forget what I said, that the pole usually is thin and can be melted very easily if you aren't very careful.

Comment

• pan1300
                Experienced Board Member
                • Apr 2012

hi mmoloch

ok, but as @kalpikos and I suggested, best avoid welding on the pole (may disalign it and more difficutl afterwards if you want to make changes to it or disassemble) - best to use bolts (my humble opinion)

Comment

• Mobley3
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Jun 2012

There is a fitting you can get for attaching stay wires to a mast, it is a series of semi- circular clamps that go around the mast and are bolted together, you should be able to weld the support bars to these to save damaging the mast. I will see if I can find a photo to post.

Regards Mobley3

P.S hi mmoloch I was unable to copy photo but if you ****** " 3 Way Stay Hook" it will take you to a picture of it at Vanjak .com. Hope it may help.

Regards Mobley3

mobley3

Comment

• kalpikos
                    Experienced Board Member
                    • Sep 2011

The solution of @Mobley3 with the 3 Way Stay Hook is a very good solution with less money, without melting the mast and of course easier to be done.

In this case, you have to be careful to use strong metal wires that have to be stretched and have the same strain in order the mast doesn't lose its vertically.

Comment

• Mobley3
                      Experienced Board Member
                      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by kalpikos
                      The solution of @Mobley3 with the 3 Way Stay Hook is a very good solution with less money, without melting the mast and of course easier to be done.

In this case, you have to be careful to use strong metal wires that have to be stretched and have the same strain in order the mast doesn't lose its vertically.
                      I was actually suggesting that he would weld the rods to the brackets, but using stay wires will also work just as well. I used this method for many years with TV aerials as I am sure many did.

Regards Mobley3

mobley3

Comment

• mmoloch
                        • Mar 2013

The "stay wires" idea seems to be quite good because I think I will not have to do the 3 extra holes in the roof... I can pass the stay wires underneath the tiles.

The "3 Way Stay Hook" is also a good idea but do not know if I can find it for sale in my country.

Weld the bars to the pole is already out of the question because I do not have experience welding iron, I'm just used to solder copper.

I've been thinking about something like this:

... instead of welding the 3 bars I can use one or two clamps to hold the bars to the pole.

In recent weeks the weather has been mostly rain and windy but I have not had signal loss because of the pole shaking... so I guess I do not need to do anything too solid, the stay wires should be more than enough to stabilize the pole.

Now I just have to wait for good weather...

Comment

• Mobley3
                          Experienced Board Member
                          • Jun 2012

I would think that any suppliers dealing in TV Aerials should have something similar to this bracket, otherwise you could wrap the stay wire around the clamp you showed before tightening it on to the pole.

Regards Mobley3

mobley3

Comment

• kalpikos
                            Experienced Board Member
                            • Sep 2011

The solution with bracket and wires is very simple and easy to be done.

As Mobley3 said, you can find this bracket in a local shop with tv-antenna materials.
                            Put a curved nail under the tiles on the wooden trusses and fasten the wires.
                            Remember what I said to you about verticality.

Comment

Working...