Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Offset dish with actuator motor?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • digicon
    Experienced Board Member
    • Jun 2011

Re: Offset dish with actuator motor?

Use the Black and Red for the Power and the Green and yellow for the reed switch sensor as long as you dont get mixed up in the back of your Vbox the wires with the reed sensor it will not blow

Comment

• mmoloch
      • Mar 2013

Started the installation today but have not finished, already lined up with my reference sat with maximum signal and did the support for the second actuator

Tomorrow I will install the actuator and align it with the arc, or try to align it lol

Comment

• mmoloch
        • Mar 2013

I have already installed the actuator but have not had time to align well...

My reference sat is the Nilesat 7ºW (179.5º) and my true south is 183.0º...

... after achieving maximum signal on Nilesat I moved the system on the pole about 3mm to west to align with the true south (183º)... for now I'm getting all satellites between 30ºW and 19ºE.

In the west side sats I have very high signal but on the east side have very weak signal and not catch all sats

Comment

• MrEnrich
          • Sep 2011

you should try to regulate elevation

Comment

• fandm
            Experienced Board Member
            • Aug 2011

It sounds like the mast is not 100% vertical so when you move the dish it goes out of tune. make sure that the mast is vertical ie: at 0 degrees and 90 degrees

Comment

• mmoloch
              • Mar 2013

The weather has been bad and I still have not tried to align, just did some changes to get a bigger arch.

When I installed the mast at the beginning and the same dish with the diseqc motor the mast was 100% vertical in all directions, I was picking up everything between 34.5ºW and 39ºE, I was not picking up more on the east side because of physical limitations... so I believe that the mast is 100% vertical but I'll check.

If the mast is not 100% vertical can I use two or three of these clamps?...

... my mast has 94cm on the outside of the roof, my idea is to use two or three clamps to hold the mast to another mast with 110cm.

The changes I made today

Now the dish moves from 70°E to 60ºW on the azimuth scale.

Best regards

Comment

• Teranoz
                • May 2013

If the whole thing is running ok do not forget to put some grease on the moving parts. Otherwise it will be rusty in a few years.

Comment

• kalpikos
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Sep 2011

I think that you can use these clamps that you said above and even with bigger holder for the mast in order to be more stable.
                  If you search on the net you'll find better clamps for this job that can clamp more surface of the mast.

If you need to correct the mast for a little, I think you will make it,
                  but if you need a lot cm in order the mast to be vertical , I think is very difficult because the masts are parallels and it will not be able to move to other direction.
                  If You Like My Post..... Please Press the Thanks Button

Comment

• mmoloch
                    • Mar 2013

I checked the mast and the top is not 100% vertical, there is a difference of 4mm, probably because of the storm Stephanie... that day happened a few damages around my house.

The good news is that I have insurance against bad weather and I will take advantage of the situation to buy a few extras for "free" lol

Today I already bought a new LNB to replace my Inverto Twin Black Ultra, bought a Invacom Twin TWH-031, I read online that are the best for feeds.

I will also change the mast but it will be complicated and I don't know what and how to do it...

The mast have two meters inside the loft and one meter outside and 50mm thick.

The mast I saw today have 60mm thick, it is the maximum that the polar mount clamp support, just do not know how to install it...

Comment

• kalpikos
                      Experienced Board Member
                      • Sep 2011

An other solution to your problem is to buy a brand new satellite mount , maybe a tripod mount with center mast which can be aligned from the begining for 100% vertical mast in order to have the best signal.
                      If You Like My Post..... Please Press the Thanks Button

Comment

• mmoloch
                        • Mar 2013

Already have the new mast installed, is galvanized iron, have 60mm in diameter and 3.8mm thick and more important, is 100% vertical in all directions.

I've also installed the dish, just need to align it, I'll try tomorrow but I have some questions...

With the diseqc motor and USALS I always knew that the dish ran to the right location of each satellite, how do I know that with an actuator motor? What type of transponder should I use to store each satellite?

Best regards

Comment

• Teranoz
                          • May 2013

Did you take action to avoid water from rain getting inside the house by following the cables (adhesion/cohesion stuff)?

Comment

• mmoloch
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Teranoz
                            Did you take action to avoid water from rain getting inside the house by following the cables (adhesion/cohesion stuff)?

I have not done anything but I've been testing and no water enters following the cables but I have water getting in near the mast. I will protect everything with a roof membrane.

I'm with some difficulties to align the dish, my reference sat is Nilesat 7ºW and I can only pick up sats between 30ºW and 28.2ºE and with very low signal in the east side sats.

What I'm doing is:

1 - in the polar mount scale I put my latitude, 38º

2 - with 0° azimuth I put maximum signal on my reference sat, Nilesat 7ºW 180.0º mag

3 - then is just to rotate the system in the mast to align it with the true south, 183.0º mag

What am I doing wrong?!

Yesterday I read in a forum that installing an offset dish in a polar mount is different because of the offset angle of the dish and that I have to do some calculations to get the correct value for the scale of the polar mount...

Does anyone can tell me what is the calculation I have to do?

Comment

• fandm
                              Experienced Board Member
                              • Aug 2011

Hi try this explanation it may help you

.satsig.net/22-deg-offset-dish.htm[/url]
                              Don't forget to add the extra http://www

Comment

• mmoloch
                                • Mar 2013

After spending six days on the roof I managed to align the system : I'm getting all sats between 57ºE and 30ºW, I thought it was not possible to catch anything after the 42ºE.

The polar mount and the dish "elevation" ended up with strange values, my latitude is 38.64º but the polar mount "elevation" ended up with 52º, the elevation scale on the dish starts with 0º and goes to 60º but ended up with -4º lol... but what matters is that I have the whole arc!

Thank you all for all the help you have given me throughout this topic!

Originally posted by MrEnrich
                                ... i also have a tbs card and i can say it works with vbox. obiuovsly i just did a bridge between vbox and tbs...
                                What DVB Player are you using?
                                I'm using dvbdream v2.4b and this is not moving the actuator or storing positions, I also did the necessary bridge between vbox and tbs card...

Edit: problem solved with DVBDream v2.5a

Comment

Working...