Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Offset dish with actuator motor?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrEnrich
    • Sep 2011

Re: Offset dish with actuator motor?

plug the actuator to the vbox (u need a 4 poles cable).
    which is ur reference satellite? 30w i suppose, isn't it? so u would like to create polar arch from 45w to 28e or more?

Comment

• mmoloch
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by MrEnrich
      plug the actuator to the vbox (u need a 4 poles cable).
      which is ur reference satellite? 30w i suppose, isn't it? so u would like to create polar arch from 45w to 28e or more?

My reference sat is Nilesat 7.3ºW (my longitude is -9.2ºW) and I need to create a polar arch at least from 34.5ºW to 42ºE (the arc I have with the diseqc 1.2 motor).

I do not know if it helps but I already have the true south marked on the pole.

Another thing that is making me confused is the side where I have to install the actuator... on the east side or west side?... and why?!

I'll have to pass the 4 poles cable in the same place that I already have 3 coax cables passing... will not I have interferences because of it?

Comment

• Teranoz
        • May 2013

Coax is shielded to avoid interference.
        As long as you do not push an extreme high amount of AC power through the cables to your motor it should not have any problems.
        The only thing you do have to take care of is to put the cables and coax next to each other and not twist them around each other.

Comment

• digicon
          Experienced Board Member
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by mmoloch
          My reference sat is Nilesat 7.3ºW (my longitude is -9.2ºW) and I need to create a polar arch at least from 34.5ºW to 42ºE (the arc I have with the diseqc 1.2 motor).

I do not know if it helps but I already have the true south marked on the pole.

Another thing that is making me confused is the side where I have to install the actuator... on the east side or west side?... and why?!

I'll have to pass the 4 poles cable in the same place that I already have 3 coax cables passing... will not I have interferences because of it?

You position the Actuator on your east side as this is where most of the Arm will travel as your west side is a shorter distance, as for the Cable for the actuator itself as above you need what we call in the UK 4 Core and it must be at least a minimum of 0.75mm thick.

Personally on mine the 4 core each one is 1.0mm thick, and as for the answer on the power cable and Coax nect to each other mine are along a 30m distance i have Zero interference on the Coax.

Its pretty much like anything in life if you buy cheap rubbish then expect problems if you buy high grade full copper coax and a decent shielded 4 core cable you wont have any problems

Comment

• MrEnrich
            • Sep 2011

mmoloch plug the cable to the actuator before putting it on the polarmount.
            hold the top of the outgoing pipe(the ring) and rotate to left or right with the vbox till the outgoing pipe arrives to the half size.
            Now, put the actuator on the east side of dish so un can have more excursione through east. regulate it with the azimuth elevation on the dish. and plug the screws.

let me know.

Comment

• mmoloch
              • Mar 2013

Hi,

I'll opt for a system with two actuators, 18" for AZ and 8" for dish elevation, as the system is just to watch feeds I want to be able to make adjustments in the dish elevation.

The "problem" is to control two actuators with one positioner, my idea is to use an ON-ON switch to be able to switch between the two actuators and save different positions for each actuator...

... my idea will work or will I need two positioners?

Comment

• digicon
                Experienced Board Member
                • Jun 2011

You could use one positioner but you would have to memorise the Numbers stored for each satellite around the ARC and then the corresponding number for dish declination.

It would be easier have 2 separate Positioners one for each actuator

Comment

• pan1300
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Apr 2012

hi mmoloch

I agree with @digicon

using 2 positioners will be more comfortable, also they're not that expensive (I've bought one some months ago to help someone out, costed incl. shipping about 50-60 EUR I believe), works perfect and relatively fast.

Comment

• mmoloch
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by digicon
                    You could use one positioner but you would have to memorise the Numbers stored for each satellite around the ARC and then the corresponding number for dish declination.

It would be easier have 2 separate Positioners one for each actuator

The idea is to store just one position number for the dish declination, the position that is aligned with the full arc.

When watching a feed with signal failures I can make some up/down adjustments but after the feed end always return to the stored position... for now I'll test it like this, later if I find that the system is "limited" I buy the second Positioner.

I'm having trouble finding the 4 cores cable with 0.75mm, the shop where I bought the actuator recommend me a cable with 2 x 0.5mm and 2 x 0.22mm, this measure is enough?

Best regards

Comment

• digicon
                      Experienced Board Member
                      • Jun 2011

Yes that grade should be fine use the 0.5mm for the power + & - and the 0.22mm for the reed switch sensor

Comment

• mmoloch
                        • Mar 2013

My dish can not move after 42ºE because of a wall... what is the best way to install the actuator?

mmoloch plug the cable to the actuator before putting it on the polarmount.
                        hold the top of the outgoing pipe(the ring) and rotate to left or right with the vbox till the outgoing pipe arrives to the half size.
                        Now, put the actuator on the east side of dish so un can have more excursione through east. regulate it with the azimuth elevation on the dish. and plug the screws.

let me know.

... or after being aligned with the reference sat move the dish by hand to 42ºE and then install the actuator?... like this the dish will never move after the 42ºE

Comment

• Teranoz
                          • May 2013

Most of those positioners have a limit you can set, but if you do anything wrong .. they are strong and will push the dish anyway.
                          On the other hand, having the inner arm move to the hardware limit might even let if go too far so it cannot go back.

So maybe you should us a combination of those. First move the arm as far as you think it might be wise and set the software limit to just a few millimeters less. After that attach the arm to the dish.

Maybe you should as well check if your positioner has some other kind of hardware limit (limiter screw near the reed relais or so)

Comment

• mmoloch
                            • Mar 2013

Already got the cable, 2 x 0.5mm and 2 x 0.22 mm:

I'm having doubts on the electrical connections and the manual does not help...

I have a Vbox 3 with:

Motor + (red)
                            Motor - (black)

Sensor - (black)
                            Sensor + (red)

I read online that the reed sensor can burn if I connect the wrong cables...

M1 is positive or negative ?
                            Which one is the sensor positive?

I think that the spacers that came with the actuator are defective...

Comment

• MrEnrich
                              • Sep 2011

is it a 5 poles cable?
                              if i remember it's for quartz actuators.

Comment

• mmoloch
                                • Mar 2013

is it a 5 poles cable?
                                if i remember it's for quartz actuators.

The cable has 4 poles, 2x 0.5mm (black and red) and 2x 0.22mm (green and yellow) then have 7 thin copper wires without any protection, at the site where I bought the cable, they told me that the 7 thin copper wires are the cable guide, this cable is used in alarm installations.

Comment

Working...