Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Offset dish with actuator motor?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mmoloch
    • Mar 2013

Offset dish with actuator motor?

Hi,

I have a 125cm offset dish with a diseqc 1.2 motor... this winter has been several thunderstorms and every 10 days I have to re-tune my diseqc 1.2 motor... it is annoying.

I have read that the actuators motors are more stable and can withstand the wind better, is that true?

The offset dishes support actuators motores?

My 125cm offset dish weighs 16 kg, what is the actuator motor that I need for my dish?.. 10"? 12"? 18"? 24"?

I found two universal polarmounts with different measures:

. Size for mounting 16 cm (height) x 45 mm (diameter)
    . Size for mounting 32 cm (height) x 65 mm (diameter)

What is the best polarmount for a 125cm offset dish?

Best regards
  • digicon
    Experienced Board Member
    • Jun 2011

Re: Offset dish with actuator motor?

An Actuator is a far better solution to using a normal Diseqc motor on that size of dish especially if you live in or around an area with Wind/Storms.

Here is the problem what make is your dish as you may be able to get a purpose built polar mount for it and some of the universal mounts are very poor at best.

12,18,24 is the size of the actuator and just depends on what sort of an ARC you want to receive on mine i have an 18" that goes from around 53° east to 60° west

Also dont forget to factor in you will need 4 core cable and a VBoxII or similar to drive the actuator

Comment

• bokkie
      Experienced Board Member
      • Feb 2012

I'm no expert, but yes.an actuator is best, especially for that size dish. I think 1.2 m is the max dish size on a diseqc motor anyway, so you're probably pushing it a bit.

Comment

• peremacedonia
        Experienced Board Member
        • Jun 2010

I have 1.2 dish on diseq 5-6 years and i dont have problems with motor.When have strong wind turn the dish 5-6 mm left but you turn back and it ok again
        Rule n.33 kid..... Concentrate

Comment

• kalpikos
          Experienced Board Member
          • Sep 2011

For your dish size I think it's better to use an actuator motor.

You need:
          polar mount + actuator + diseqc vbox positioner

Take a look if there is a special polar mount for your dish.
          For example I know that there is a special polar mount for gibertini.
          If you can't find, buy a universal polar mount for 125 dish.

As about the actuator, if you want to receive satellites on the corners then it's better to buy an 24'' actuator.
          If you want just to receive the satellites around the center then use a 18''.
          If You Like My Post..... Please Press the Thanks Button

Comment

• skytec
            Experienced Board Member
            • Mar 2010

It is very important to have diseqc motor with Full Metal Gear.
            Cheaper models have a plastic gear motor.
            This is not good for the larger dish.
            Is my post useful for you? Please press sigpic

Comment

• thecrazybandit
              Experienced Board Member
              • Jul 2012

I use a stab motor on a channel master 1,25mtr and get not problems but it is covered from the wind

Comment

• Teranoz
                • May 2013

I used to have a 1.20m offset dish with actuator, but those actuators lasted for like 2 or 3 years and than they do not move anymore (so use loads of fat to prevent corrosion) and if you buy one make sure you have a handfull of spare reed relais because they break first. For the size I would suggest at least 18 inch. You want to use as less force as possible to move the dish. Pushing at a point that is close to the center of the dish takes more force than a bit more to the edges.

Comment

• digicon
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Jun 2011

You must have had some bad Luck with the reed switches because you can only blow these by messing about with the power supply or mixing the cables up behind the Vbox which most now have circuit protection to prevent reed switch failure.

As for the Actuators i agree about life span if you buy a Clone model like the powerjack brand i would always recommend you buy Official Superjack Branded equipment as it will last 10-15 years if looked after correctly

Comment

• MrEnrich
                    • Sep 2011

actuator is more stable and strongest against wind. I could suggest u a 24 inches superjack for a 125 (same dimension of mine).
                    U need a polarmount (have a look on internet: search for "gibertini polarmount") and a positioner (v-box) to move the actuator

Comment

• Teranoz
                      • May 2013

Originally posted by digicon
                      You must have had some bad Luck with the reed switches because you can only blow these by messing about with the power supply or mixing the cables up behind the Vbox which most now have circuit protection to prevent reed switch failure.
                      Could be. This was long time ago in the time D2MAC was still popular.
                      So the electric stuff must have improved a lot.

Comment

• mmoloch
                        • Mar 2013

I've been looking for polar mounts and have found 2 different models fitted to the same dish I have...

16cm (H) x 45mm (D) with 18"

I can get this one for 10€, also can get the same model with 32cm (H) x 65mm (D) for 35 euros.

This one looks like the polarmount of Gibertini but I didnt find it for sale.

Found another model that supports my dish:

... but I didnt find it for sale.

I'm from Portugal (38.6N, -9.2W) and I need to move my dish between 34.5°W and 42°E... what is the best actuator to do that arc?... 12", 18" or another one?

I use my motorized dish with a TBS6922 card... the TBS card will work with vbox?

I use this system just to watch sports feeds and when I have signal losses in a feed I can change the Longitude in DVBDream to get a good signal in the feeds... in a system with actuator and vbox will also be able to make these small adjustments to get good signal in the feeds?

Best regards

Comment

• MrEnrich
                          • Sep 2011

i also have a tbs card and i can say it works with vbox. obiuovsly i just did a bridge between vbox and tbs.
                          about actuator, as i ve said yesterday: 24 inches has been the best choice for me... long excursion, strongest against wind (i live in a windy place). But 18 could be ok.

about polarmount. the second one i can see in the pics (gibertini) is the best and the strongest for me.
                          you can find it here: _ww.sateuropa.co.uk/cart/catalog/dish-bracketsandfraslmounts/gibertini-polar-mount-for-1.2m-and-1.5m-dish-2417.html

but i am sure i will find a cheaper offer on the web.

regards

Comment

• mmoloch
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by MrEnrich
                            ... about polarmount. the second one i can see in the pics (gibertini) is the best and the strongest for me.
                            you can find it here: _ww.sateuropa.co.uk/cart/catalog/dish-bracketsandfraslmounts/gibertini-polar-mount-for-1.2m-and-1.5m-dish-2417.html

but i am sure i will find a cheaper offer on the web.

regards

I can get the Gibertini for 50 euros in Portugal but the second one is not the Gilbertini, it is similar... is done by Famaval for Famaval TRX 125cm dishes as my.

If I do not find the "second one" I'll probably buy the first one for 10 euros and before installing it I can reinforce it with some strong welds.

How many degrees in the arc an 24" actuator can do?... and an 18"?

In my country I can get these models:

. Geotrack/Jaeger SuperPowerJack TD18 - 39€
                            . Geotrack/Jaeger SuperPowerJack TD24 - 49€
                            . Superjack 18" HARL-3618 - 35€
                            . Superjack 24" HARL-3624 - 45€

I've read about Superjack clones... how do I know which are original?

I thought that V-Box was a brand but have found V-Box made ​​by various brands, in my country I can get these two:

. Moteck V-Box II - 43€
                            . Iberosat V-Box III - 40€

Which one is better?

Best regards

Comment

• mmoloch
                              • Mar 2013

I managed to find an Famaval polar mount for my Famaval dish and very cheap

I paid 16 euros for it and makes an arc of 160°, 80ºE + 80ºW, still have some doubts with the actuator but I think I'll choose a 18" Heavy Duty, I think it is more than enough for the 80º arc I need.

Also have some doubts to align the actuator... I use Nilesat to align my diseqc 1.2 motor, just need to move the diseqc motor from 0° to 2° then I just need to change elevation/ azimuth until I get maximum signal on Nilesat and the system is aligned with clark belt.

What I have to do to align the actuator?

Best regards

Comment

Working...