Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Spare Router

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • browser5296
    • Nov 2011

Spare Router

Hi Guys, relatively new to the forum but think i'm putting this question in the right section. I have my dm500 wired to my router in the front room. I have my Ariva combo 120 upstairs in the bedroom. Is or would it be possible to use my old router in the bedroom in order to add my Ariva to my network. The old router is an eircom zyxel. I like to do this without running any cable. The house is wired for phone in bedroom and frontroom. Or another way of asking this is how do you guys add more than on STB to your network?
  • pjmuk
    • Sep 2011

Re: Spare Router

Hi Browser5296,

You should be able to turn your old router into an access point/bridge and then connect wireless to your network.

I have tried this myself with varying degrees of success. However I find it is always best to run long cables, these can be hidden when you next decorate.

You can also use homeplugs, discussion on them here:

Comment

• rikksow
      Board Senior Member
      • Jul 2012

You can also try DDWRT which is a free program. I haven't tried it yet (had too many other projects on the go lately but plan to have a go at some point as i have an old wifi router) anyway take a look here

h**p://lifehacker.com/5563196/turn-your-old-router-into-a-range+boosting-wi+fi-repeater

*=t

Comment

• microchick
        Experienced Board Member
        • Apr 2012

Yes I have heard of turning your router to a signal repeater/booster. Don't know how it works as I get good signal across the house except the kitchen.
        Personally I would go for home plugs. They are hassel free and give you good signal like a wired network. They cost only about £30 a pair.
        If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• gcms
          Board Senior Member
          • Aug 2012

yes mr microchik u r right that router can be turened as signal repeater and signal booster but all only those router can be turned as signal repeator which ve the option like tp link linksys etc i do not know as browser5296 old router has this option or not the easiest way is that just go for home plug like microchick ve a good luck

Comment

• microchick
            Experienced Board Member
            • Apr 2012

Hi Browser, I have been searching the internet and some geek websites to see if I can find any links to turn your router into a signal booster. I found a couple of links which might be helpful to you. here they are

--http://www.howtogeek.com/56810/how-to-extend-your-wireless-network-with-dd-wrt/

and

--http://www.fansoftech.com/2008/09/09/convert-old-router-and-switch-into-wireless-repeater-bridge/

and

--http://www.ehow.com/how_5076684_use-range-booster-access-point.html
            If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• Satbeam
              • Jul 2012

Simplest solution for you to try is usb wlan stick for £5 on fleabay . I've tested it on Ariva 102e .

Comment

• browser5296
                • Nov 2011

Thanks everyone for all the help. I reckon home plugs or usb wlan stick might be the way to go. Just thought i could get a bit of use from my old router before throwing it out

Comment

• bokkie
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Feb 2012

I have solwise homeplugs connecting my pc, htpc, xbox and vu+ duo to my network and it is faultless.
                  just plug them in and forget about them.

Comment

• pan1300
                    Experienced Board Member
                    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by browser5296
                    Thanks everyone for all the help. I reckon home plugs or usb wlan stick might be the way to go. Just thought i could get a bit of use from my old router before throwing it out
                    tip: don't throw it out ; I know someone who bought a new one (think because it was faster), new one worked for about 6 months ; afterwards couldn't connect to his stb anymore and replaced again with his old router - result: working fine until now. I never found out what happened, both routers still work, only thing the internetprovider told is that they had changed something, but never told me what. So, strange but solved.
                    Lesson: if the old one still works: keep it!

Comment

• toby69
                      Experienced Board Member
                      • Oct 2011

--------------------------------

get rid of it, you always want to move foward in tecnology game, (i can see your point pan11 ) but hoarding not for me, enough of those on the bio channel
                      homeplugs, house neat, no cables.
                      Do not send me iptv/cline requests,

technical or iptv/cline server questions in PM!

I will not answer!

Comment

• browser5296
                        • Nov 2011

Gave up on it. I'll get a pair of homeplugs and save all the hassle

Comment

• microchick
                          Experienced Board Member
                          • Apr 2012

Good decision. I just had a look and you can buy a decent pair for about £30. If you shop around or buy the 2nd hand then they will be a lot cheaper. I think it will be good investment.

Comment

• cisko
                            Banned
                            • Sep 2012

Gave up on it. I'll get a pair of homeplugs and save all the hassle
                            If your homeplug has QoS (Quality of Service) function enable it and set up high priority for MAC address of your STB and Highest (!!!) priority for MACs addresses of your Gaming Console. With this you can reduce packet loss or reception of packet with high delay.
                            Obviously you can add a cheap router (better) or a switch on the room where you have your "Ariva" decoder in order to expand your network and connect all devices.

Comment

• microchick
                              Experienced Board Member
                              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by cisko
                              If your homeplug has QoS (Quality of Service) function enable it and set up high priority for MAC address of your STB and Highest (!!!) priority for MACs addresses of your Gaming Console. With this you can reduce packet loss or reception of packet with high delay.
                              Obviously you can add a cheap router (better) or a switch on the room where you have your "Ariva" decoder in order to expand your network and connect all devices.
                              QoS can be enabled from the router. A network or protocol that supports QoS may agree on a traffic contract with the application software and reserve capacity in the network nodes.

Comment

Working...