Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Ultra-HD: First satellite transmitter to start in 2014

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Satphoenix
    Experienced Board Member
    • Oct 2012

Ultra-HD: First satellite transmitter to start in 2014

Ultra-HD has been sent untill now via satellite only as test-transmissions. In 2014 this should change, however - the first satellite operator has announced the launch of an ultra-HD station for the next year.

The satellite operator "KT Skyline" wants to start a first transmitter in Ultra-HD resolution. The news agency, "Yonhap" reported that the South Korean company has announced on Friday the launch of a pilot channel in Ultra-HD for the next year. So KT Skyline would be the world's first satellite operator offering an ultra-HD channels.

South Korea seems to be in a hurry with the introduction of Ultra HD. In July 2013 the cable industry started in the home country of Samsung and LG a first pilot station in Ultra-HD resolution. But untill now only selected households can receive the Ultra-High-Resolution signals over the cable network.

Source: digitalfernsehen_de

My opinion: From technical view surely an innovation or a further step, but whether this will push through series production at affordable prices in the near future remains to be seen once. Similar to 3D it all sounds a bit like activism. We have wait and see ...

@findeciclo: translation correct?

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans!
  • findeciclo
    Experienced Board Member
    • Oct 2010

Re: Ultra-HD: First satellite transmitter to start in 2014

In my opinion, I don't like every year a new technology is launched on the market, so we must change all our last year new buyed devices.
    We can't not changing, buying a new TV set, a new HD complementary device, (Sat receiver, BlueRay player, 3D TV HD, etc...) because we will became crazy.
    I.e., last year apple launched 2 different Ipad tablets, at the begin of 2012 and at the end of the same year. This is not fair, we can not buy a new device and some months later, there is a new and better device.
    Always we are updateless.
    I like, I enjoy, I'm a technician lover, but this is too much.
    In my country there are people with old TV crt devices, they are buying DVB-T receivers too. So..... How is possible to implement a new 4K Ultra HD technology?
    This is a crazy world.
    Best regards and thanks about your english translation.

Comment

• Mobley3
      Experienced Board Member
      • Jun 2012

I think it will need a major re-hash of compression techniques in order for any real take off of Ultra HD. The amount of bandwidth it will take up will be enormous, not to mention completely new receivers/TV's to make use of the technology. The price of TV's currently capable of using this technology is way beyond the average person.

Regards Mobley3

mobley3

Comment

• Satphoenix
        Experienced Board Member
        • Oct 2012

I've heard from ultra-hd test in japan (nhk tested) and the test persons got headache from viewing after ~30 minutes.
        Especially when you reach the resolution of the human eye, every resolution above this is useless.
        Mobley, you're right, with the actual codecs ultra-hd is not really usefull for normal sat-transponders.

Comment

• findeciclo
          Experienced Board Member
          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Satphoenix
          I've heard from ultra-hd test in japan (nhk tested) and the test persons got headache from viewing after ~30 minutes.
          Especially when you reach the resolution of the human eye, every resolution above this is useless.
          Mobley, you're right, with the actual codecs ultra-hd is not really usefull for normal sat-transponders.
          Ok, is clear that it will be the nearly future of tv. But we can not changing our tv devices every year.
          And so on, usually when a new technology is launched there is a lot of bugs. And as its happens with 3D technology, headache and tired vision are commons symptoms.

And another factor to be considered is bandwidth comsuption, highly, so I think this world is became crazy.

Best regards, friends.

Comment

• motor25
            • Jul 2013

My opinion is that the technology is good news, however I think for the consumer to see this afternoon near our house.

Comment

• kontoni
              • Aug 2012

Very interesting future evolution but still premature to become publicly tested.

korea wants to lead for the prestige on the industry.

it will take lots of years before technicaly will be ready for mass spread as simple hd still exists together with sd.

Comment

• thecrazybandit
                Experienced Board Member
                • Jul 2012

i think we need new technology hd has been around for years now but still millions of people still have sd satellite units 3d still not that popular so the buy the time ultra hd is in everyone house we could be looking at ten years if not more

Comment

• sideralgr
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Satphoenix
                  Ultra-HD has been sent untill now via satellite only as test-transmissions. In 2014 this should change, however - the first satellite operator has announced the launch of an ultra-HD station for the next year.

The satellite operator "KT Skyline" wants to start a first transmitter in Ultra-HD resolution. The news agency, "Yonhap" reported that the South Korean company has announced on Friday the launch of a pilot channel in Ultra-HD for the next year. So KT Skyline would be the world's first satellite operator offering an ultra-HD channels.

South Korea seems to be in a hurry with the introduction of Ultra HD. In July 2013 the cable industry started in the home country of Samsung and LG a first pilot station in Ultra-HD resolution. But untill now only selected households can receive the Ultra-High-Resolution signals over the cable network.

Source: digitalfernsehen_de

My opinion: From technical view surely an innovation or a further step, but whether this will push through series production at affordable prices in the near future remains to be seen once. Similar to 3D it all sounds a bit like activism. We have wait and see ...

@findeciclo: translation correct?

Are any Ultra HD TV set now on the market?
                  What is the difference between HD and Ultra HD?

Comment

• skytec
                    Experienced Board Member
                    • Mar 2010

Unfortunately, this new Technolgie is not compatible with current TVs and recivers. High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) is needed.
                    Is my post useful for you? Please press sigpic

Comment

• Satphoenix
                      Experienced Board Member
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by skytec
                      ...High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) is needed.
                      With Ultra-hd you have double resolution in both directions, which means ~four times more data in the same codec as hd-tv. HEVC (h265) is two times more efficient than h264 so you will have the double data rata and if you will really realise the difference in picture quality on a normal tv-resolution?

Comment

• pan1300
                        Experienced Board Member
                        • Apr 2012

hi guys

As previously stated in another thread: indeed, technology is moving a bit to fast now. Fact is most channels are still in (and even very poor!!) sd, next steps are hd, then 3D, ultra HD, what's next? As long as our 'normal' channels aren't even transmitted in hd, why bother with even something else? HD: ok, but 3D really isn't my stuff, ultra HD: will anyone see the difference (or will or eyes also become sort of 'ultravision)?

So, a bit critical on all this ; also won't see it happen very soon a lot of people will buy new tv's/decoders/...

Ony personal opinion

Comment

• aplok
                          Experienced Board Member
                          • Jun 2013

Originally posted by thecrazybandit
                          ...we could be looking at ten years if not more
                          ... anyway sony is ready today:

__http://www.sony.it/hub/4k-tv?campaignId=12003139&s_kwcid=tv%20ultra%20hd%20s ony|24323145746

Code:
                          [I]KD-55X9005A[/I]
                          TV Ultra HD 4K con 4K X-Reality PRO, casse Magnetic Fluid e display Triluminos
                              164 cm 65"
                          € 4.499,00  

[I]KD-84X9005[/I]
                          TV 3D da 214 cm/84" con risoluzione 4K (3.840 x 2.160 px) e X-Reality PRO, Wi-Fi® e audio surround virtuale 5.1
                          € NA

[I]STR-DA5800ES[/I]
                          € 2.499,00  *

Comment

• Satphoenix
                            Experienced Board Member
                            • Oct 2012

For me a new tv-standard (if ultra-hd will get such a new standard) has two reasons.

First: Technological as an upgrade for users (like the step from sd to hd). If this is really necessary - I don't believe in this hd-times.

Second: Economical for the industries. New receivers, tvs... for customers. Technical upgrade has it's price.

Comment

• aplok
                              Experienced Board Member
                              • Jun 2013

i wonder if the

VU+ DUO 2 Full HD Twin Linux Sat Receiver 2x DVB-S2 PVR Vu Plus NEU 1080p WLAN

priced 499 € here

__http://www.ebay.de/itm/VU-DUO-2-Full-HD-Twin-Linux-Sat-Receiver-2x-DVB-S2-PVR-Vu-Plus-NEU-1080p-WLAN-/271235226030?pt=Sat_Anlagen&hash=item3f26e119ae

is somewhat uhd-ready ?

maybe somewhat overpriced for an nearly-already-outdated nec plus ultra satbox

Comment

Working...