Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

TM 500 Super - FEC issue?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • odysseas1991
    Experienced Board Member
    • Jan 2011

TM 500 Super - FEC issue?

So, I have encountered a TM500 super box.

For eutelsat 3.1 there is a transponder 12548 H 13960 with 3/5 FEC...

I cannot get a signal from this transponder when I put FEC to AUTO but there is no option for 3/5...

My question is, is this box not capable of receiving such a transponder or am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks for your help!
  • bakfitty
    • May 2013

Re: TM 500 Super - FEC issue?

Originally posted by odysseas1991
    So, I have encountered a TM500 super box.

For eutelsat 3.1 there is a transponder 12548 H 13960 with 3/5 FEC...

I cannot get a signal from this transponder when I put FEC to AUTO but there is no option for 3/5...

My question is, is this box not capable of receiving such a transponder or am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks for your help!
    Hi,

The transponder you want to scan is using mpeg-4 but tm500 super is only mpeg-2 compliant so this is why you experienced such problem. To conclude, there is only dvb-s tuner in your box but dvb-s2 tuner is needed to receive that transponder.

If my post was useful to you, please push 'thanks' button.

Comment

• odysseas1991
      Experienced Board Member
      • Jan 2011

Thanks for the answer

To clarify, there is no way of fixing this through software, only physical hardware, ie a new stb?

It is incredible that a box has limitations on a FEC setting!

Comment

• skytec
        Experienced Board Member
        • Mar 2010

Thanks for the answer

To clarify, there is no way of fixing this through software, only physical hardware, ie a new stb?

It is incredible that a box has limitations on a FEC setting!
        Unfortunately this is not possible. You need a HD receiver.
        Is my post useful for you? Please press sigpic

Comment

• pan1300
          Experienced Board Member
          • Apr 2012

hi odysseas1991

as @bakfitty said: has nothing to do with the FEC, but this transponder uses mpeg4 (dvb-s2), while you only have a sd receiver (mpeg2 - dvb-s). Anyway, more and more channels and transponders are changing into dvb-s2, so in my opinion really time to get a hd receiver- hope you didn't buy it new, or perhaps you can still change it (just a suggestion).

Comment

• odysseas1991
            Experienced Board Member
            • Jan 2011

Excellent information, thank you everyone.

I did not buy this box thankfully! It just came into my hands and it is my first linux experience, so it took me an hour to figure out how to add a satellite that was not already preset before I realised you had to download it from a blue button panel! So I thought I was doing something wrong when I couldn't get a signal from this transponder! Many thanks to all for the information, I will be buying yet another TM5402HD tomorrow to replace it!

Comment

• aplok
              Experienced Board Member
              • Jun 2013

... I will be buying yet another TM5402HD ...
              hi,

i just had a quick look at

__tp://www.technomate.com/products/TM%252d5402-HD-M2.html

it appears to me like being a closed system

do you know it and are you happy with it ?

Comment

• kalpikos
                Experienced Board Member
                • Sep 2011

Hi mate

Using a HD receiver for this frequency you want, you will not have any problem.
                The box that you tested is a SD box and it can't get signal from channels in HD.
                Buy a good quality linux based receiver HD with good support.
                I suggest you to look for a Vu+.
                Of course, all depends on the money you want to spend and your needs.
                If You Like My Post..... Please Press the Thanks Button

Comment

• aplok
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Jun 2013

... there is no way of fixing this through software, only physical hardware, ...
                  ... It is incredible that a box has limitations on a FEC setting! ..
                  i just had a look about the so-called FEC

here is a abstract

Forward error correction

__http://www.satlover.eu/forum/installation/18459-satellite-tv-glossary.html
                  FEC : Forward Error Correction. The component of a digital receiver that can correct significant corruption in a digital signal.

__tps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_error_correction

... In telecommunication, information theory, and coding theory, forward error correction (FEC) or channel coding[1] is a technique used for controlling errors in data transmission over unreliable or noisy communication channels.

... FEC is therefore applied in situations where retransmissions are costly or impossible, such as one-way communication links and when transmitting to multiple receivers in multicast.

and

here we can read this
                  Code rate
                  __tps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_rate
                  ... In telecommunication and information theory, the code rate (or information rate[1]) of a forward error correction code is the proportion of the data-stream that is useful (non-redundant).

... For example: The code rate of a convolutional code may typically be 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, etc., corresponding to that one redundant bit is inserted after every single, second, third, etc., bit

... The code rate of the Reed Solomon block code denoted RS(204,188) is 188/204, corresponding to that 204 - 188 = 16 redundant bytes are added to each block of 188 byte of useful information.

so with a fec or 2/3, i have 66 % net data, and 33 % redundant data, used for error correction

and

with a fec = 3/4: 75 % net data and 25 % redundancy
                  with a fec = 7/8: 87 % net data and 12 % redundancy

-> higher the fec, higher the net data and lower the redundancy,
                  -> lower the fec, lower the net data and higher the redundancy

conclusion
                  a 3/5 fec is a specific code rate proposed by eutelsat 3.1

Comment

• odysseas1991
                    Experienced Board Member
                    • Jan 2011

Aplok, many thanks for your research into FEC. I have myself a TM5402HD and I am very happy with it as it is the best budget+quality+features+ simplicity for its price range on the market I think! (Unless I am missing something and someone can recommend another?)

Kalpikos, thanks for your information and confirmation. I am not really looking to spend the money that a Vu+ duo/solo demands for now even though the solo is not that much different, I prefer the simplicity of the TM5402HD, everything is easy access and not too many options going on, so it is easy to teach to a new user as well!

Comment

• digicon
                      Experienced Board Member
                      • Jun 2011

The TM500 Super is an Enigma1 satellite receiver so as stated DVB-S and no S2 (MPEG4) as for the satellites while you have the box tinker with it, no need to add satellites just upload an E1 channel list to the box Vhannibal still maintains Enigma1 channel lists so try one of those then no need to scan for anything

Comment

Working...