Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Is it end of 3D technology in tv?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • digicon
    Experienced Board Member
    • Jun 2011

Re: Is it end of 3D technology in tv?

Originally posted by BlueIsMyColor
    The 3D technology have many years but the biggest problem is the companies to not bet in transmissions, specially in the broadcastings over the satellite. When big events are realized (like Euro Football Champioships, World Cups...) we have a big publicity of 3D but after that there does not exists regular transmissions, with the exception of the cinema. The 3D technology will die and will be forgotten.

regards

Not sure where that statement came from but there are at present around 15 3D channels broadcasting 3D programs most 24 hours a day spread across quite a few of the european satellites

Comment

• thecrazybandit
      Experienced Board Member
      • Jul 2012

I watched the tennis on BBC HD in 3D on freeview and i thought it was very good but after a short time we started to get a headache so i turned it off if they ever get the 3D to work without glasses and no side effects it would be great

Comment

• nml52
        Board Senior Member
        • Nov 2011

Had it for a while now on a LG 3d set, I must admit we have only watched it once in 6 mths. Maybe if more content arrives it could be good but think at the moment it is a bit gimmicky.

nml

Comment

• BlueIsMyColor
          Experienced Member
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by digicon
          Not sure where that statement came from but there are at present around 15 3D channels broadcasting 3D programs most 24 hours a day spread across quite a few of the european satellites
          Do you think "around 15 3D channels broadcasting 3D programs most 24 hours a day" is enough to attract spectators and investors/producers? I don't think so. If they don't do a massive investment the technology will die.

regards

Comment

• mahrkpat
            Experienced Board Member
            • Jun 2012

This quote IMO shows why 3D television will strugle to get viewers.

Film and sound editor Walter Murch, who worked on such legendary films as Godfather Part II and Apocalypse Now (for which he won an Oscar) has an explanation that has so far stood the test of time.

He points out that during a 3D film, the audience has to focus at a constant distance — from their eyes to the screen. In a movie theater this may be 80 feet; at home this might be 10. But the convergence of the 3D image on the film will move quickly between depths, farther and closer than the screen. So we’re required to focus at one distance and converge — recognize something — at another.

“And 600 million years of evolution has never presented this problem before,” he says. “All living things with eyes have always focused and converged at the same point.”

Shillinglaw echoes the sentiment: “I think when people watch TV they concentrate in a different way.”

Of course, our eyes have the ability to refocus on things from 10 to 40 to 140 feet away, but the problem is that 3D requires that transition to be near instantaneous. In real life we take a second or two to make that change — looking from your keyboard to something out the window — but when a scene or camera angle switch, our eyes suddenly have to find the new focus. And if we do that constantly — especially when keeping up in a movie — our eye muscles begin to tire and get sore. Many people get headaches or nauseated.

With that explanation, one possible solution would be for movies to stay from one perspective for long stretches of time. And keep the transitions slow, fading and deliberate, giving the eyes time. But that would start to greatly restrict movies, especially action flicks.

The question is: how long will it take people to realize and get fed up?”
            Liked my post then push the sigpic button.

Comment

• bokkie
              Experienced Board Member
              • Feb 2012

Hd started out the same way, with people saying it's a waste and will die a death. Now look at it.
              If 3d tv gets the proper investment (3d tv without glasses ) I think it will grow in popularity and be here to stay.
              But it is all up to the Big players in Television. If they want it to survive, it will.

Comment

• paul.romsky
                • Apr 2013

And we've got another 3D demo channel at Astra 1KR, 11009 V 23500 DVB-S2 8PSK

Comment

• digicon
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Jun 2011

Originally posted by BlueIsMyColor
                  Do you think "around 15 3D channels broadcasting 3D programs most 24 hours a day" is enough to attract spectators and investors/producers? I don't think so. If they don't do a massive investment the technology will die.

regards

And it wont be going anywhere Fast just because one broadcaster namely the BBC that have shown maybe 3-4 programs in 3D in one year are giving it a miss does not mean every other broadcaster will, its been around now for 4 years thats when i bought my first one 2009 and its still here and is built into mainly medium to top end range of LCD/LED/Plasma.

Personally i dont watch the crap 3D channels i use mine with Blu ray 3D which is still outselling its 2D counterpart everytime.

3D TV channels may die off but the technology wont not while it still has a large percentage share in the Blu ray market

Comment

• sossenheim-ffm
                    • Oct 2012

3D Tv channels are till now relly crap, because there are too less.
                    I watched football in 3d and I started getting headache.
                    3d tv channels are also not popular till now. First thing is that there are not many people who are able to watch it.
                    There is still much work to do till it works perfectly and will take at least 5-10 years to make it to a standard in our tv life
                    If I helped you please press thanks button!

Comment

• odysseas1991
                      Experienced Board Member
                      • Jan 2011

I remember in another thread, a few years ago I said that I didn't think 3D will become so popular that it became essential during the next few years and it seems the case. Firstly, it is a slight inconvenience, and sometimes you cannot be bothered to set it up. Secondly, there it doesn't really offer that much in terms of viewing and just tires you. Although it is quite unique especially for sports, the novelty wears off quickly. The BBC didn't want to invest further to produce their main programmes in 3D which is probably why they are pulling out for now. I do think that if TVs in the future do not require glasses then it will gain some sort of dominance...

Comment

• aplok
                        Experienced Board Member
                        • Jun 2013

hi,

3d uhdtv 16:9 is obsolete !

true real 3d tv is 64:9 !

Comment

• Gogoli1
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2012

I think it is the start of 3d because alot of packages with add 3d channels in the feature

Comment

• sataday
                            Board Senior Member
                            • Dec 2011

I think broadcasters should forget about 3D and concentrate on making all their channels HD, and phasing out SD channels.

Comment

• kalpikos
                              Experienced Board Member
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by sataday
                              I think broadcasters should forget about 3D and concentrate on making all their channels HD, and phasing out SD channels.
                              I agree with you mate
                              Broadcasters should make some steps forward in HD techlonogy and improve the quality of the picture and generally improve the quality of the given services leaving behind 3D technology.
                              If You Like My Post..... Please Press the Thanks Button

Comment

• pan1300
                                Experienced Board Member
                                • Apr 2012

hi guys

I couldn't agree more with @sataday and @kalpikos - best first to get rid of very bad sd channels (here in Belgium) and get the HD's working well and stable. As said (think in another thread some months ago): really not convinced on the 3D (not at home, not in cinemas) - really doesn't seem natural and gives a headache. Perhaps later, who knows, but it'll really difficult to convince me and my family.

Comment

Working...