Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Is it end of 3D technology in tv?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paul.romsky
    • Apr 2013

Is it end of 3D technology in tv?

Just heard that 23rd of November 2013 BBC will broadcast last programme in 3D technology which will be the last episode of Doctor Who.

Kim Shillinglaw, responsible for 3D project in BBC said that it's quite difficult to watch tv in glasses because you have to find them before the watching.
    BBC will not continue this project for now.

I didn't know that ESPN also finished 3D project. To be honest I didn't know they had any

What you guys think, is it really the beginning of the endof 3D at home tv? What's next, UHDTV?
  • digicon
    Experienced Board Member
    • Jun 2011

Re: Is it end of 3D technology in tv?

Thats just one Channel and they rarely showed much in 3D maybe one or two programs, Sky 3D on the other hand apparently do quite well on Viewing figures due to the fact that all programs are in 3D all of the time like many other dedicated 3D satellite channels

Comment

• kalpikos
      Experienced Board Member
      • Sep 2011

Personally I don't like 3D.
      It's very difficult to watch tv with special glasses and always I have headache after watching.
      Moreover, in order to watch 3D you need a realy big screen (more than 55'") and of course a 3D receiver, but I don't have money for these
      If You Like My Post..... Please Press the Thanks Button

Comment

• bokkie
        Experienced Board Member
        • Feb 2012

I think that the next generarion of 3d Tv's, which don't require glasses, will be more popular. The biggest problem with current 3d tv's is wearing the glasses, take that away and it will be much more appealing.

Comment

• KVF1966
          Board Senior Member
          • Dec 2012

most likely that the technology of 3d tv will not receive mass distribution and gradually tv operators will use technology uhdtv. I have a tv with 3d technology, but 3d look very rarely, inconvenient to watch glasses and your eyes get tired, although programs about nature and wildlife sometimes impress by its 3d picture.

Comment

• bakfitty
            • May 2013

Originally posted by paul.romsky
            Just heard that 23rd of November 2013 BBC will broadcast last programme in 3D technology which will be the last episode of Doctor Who.

Kim Shillinglaw, responsible for 3D project in BBC said that it's quite difficult to watch tv in glasses because you have to find them before the watching.
            BBC will not continue this project for now.

I didn't know that ESPN also finished 3D project. To be honest I didn't know they had any

What you guys think, is it really the beginning of the endof 3D at home tv? What's next, UHDTV?
            In my opinion, 3d televisions are not well spreaded. Maybe the manufacturers should have made bigger marketing to it then the technology would be more known. I think 'ultra hd' has greater future. I heard that uhdtv technology is tested but the receivers with those features are way to expensive.

If my post was useful to you, please push 'thanks' button.

Comment

• Mobley3
              Experienced Board Member
              • Jun 2012

Never watched it and never had any interest in it, as someone who has to wear glasses for reading the last thing I want to do is put glasses on when I am watching TV. Maybe the glasses free technology will change this but I believe everything will have moved on by then to HDTv.

Regards Mobley3

mobley3

Comment

• findeciclo
                Experienced Board Member
                • Oct 2010

Nowday, 3D system is not really well devolped. Most of people watching 3D broadcastings have dizziness and headache. So on, 3D without glasses technology is not ready, you can test Nintendo 3D and you can realice that is not perfect and headache is the most common problem to all the people using this console.
                I think the manufactures are developing ultra High HD TV, instead 3D.
                So on, the 3D channels are few and broadcastings certain times, not all the day.
                The problem with ultra High HD TV is compatibility with today 1080p tv`s. Is not possible changing TV set every year to have the last technology. It is very expensive and you can't expend so much money each time a new system appears.
                For me 3D is very amazing but not developed at all and channels are not betting for this technology nowday.
                Best regards.

Comment

• Triad
                  Experienced Member
                  • Jan 2012

One thing that is enough to say is that 3D TV is only acceptable on big screens like Movie theaters IMAX or alike. Seeing Avatar on those screens is magnificent experience as all of you know already probably. And in no case can it be compared to LCD TV with any refresh rate or diagonal.

Comment

• herrr
                    Experienced Board Member
                    • Jan 2012

I've heard since last year about an agreement between broadcasters to prefer further developments in HD, instead of 3D.
                    I completely agreed with it.
                    American ESPN will also soon stop its 3d programs.

Comment

• besit
                      Board Senior Member
                      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by kalpikos
                      Moreover, in order to watch 3D you need...... a 3D receiver, but I don't have money for these
                      You don't need special receiver to watch 3d. Except 3d TV set. Stereopair goes directly to TV set from receiver and if one knows what to do with it - it build 3d pic for it's 3d-viewing system, in not - shows the stereo pair.
                      Me myself don't treat 3d TV as a normal TV program, it's just like a circus performance. But it's a good enetertaintment.
                      Once I was on a rock concert, where they shoot 3d video. And then I watched that show on a NTV+ 3D channel (36E). I even recorded. And on that video I have me and my wife catched in the fan zone.
                      And I'm real sure that 3d TV will be developed further more, either we like it or not.

Comment

• Satphoenix
                        Experienced Board Member
                        • Oct 2012

Only if you have tvs which don't use glasses (perhaps in a few years) 3d will have a real chance to grow up.
                        Unless then there are only test-channels which cost more than they give use to the providers. So they will not expand their 3d programs untill then, perhaps they keep it as it is now.
                        If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans!

Comment

• mahrkpat
                          Experienced Board Member
                          • Jun 2012

Even with all the advances in technology the actual wearing of glasses makes it a clunky,
                          even in cinema's (figures for u.k) the people opting for 3d enhanced movies is dropping the
                          main fact for this is the glasses, many find them uncomfortable and I have noticed that my
                          daughter took hers off and preferred to watch without them even though the picture was
                          blurry and now when we go to see movies we go for the normal screenings.
                          Liked my post then push the sigpic button.

Comment

• Arbiter
                            • Dec 2012

3D was cool when it first came out, but now i dont even see tv companies incorporate 3d, there aren't that many channels, and the glasses simply exhaust your eye + many people wear medical glasses, and yes there are 3d glasses for people with medical glasses but that simply kills your eye.

Comment

• BlueIsMyColor
                              Experienced Member
                              • Mar 2013

The 3D technology have many years but the biggest problem is the companies to not bet in transmissions, specially in the broadcastings over the satellite. When big events are realized (like Euro Football Champioships, World Cups...) we have a big publicity of 3D but after that there does not exists regular transmissions, with the exception of the cinema. The 3D technology will die and will be forgotten.

regards

Comment

Working...