Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

ipv6 once again

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • p1ngb4ck
    • Apr 2013

ipv6 once again

Hi all !

what is ipv6 at all :

The simple answer is : I have to hassle with this, since my ips (UnityMedia in Germany), provides me with native ipv6 global address and subnet. I do get outgoing IPv4 via a so called "Ds-Lite"-Tunnel, but I have no "own" dynamic ipv4-wan-address. Thats why "normal" nat (Portforwarding and so on) does not work for me, even dyndns didnt work out of the box with standard dyndns-providers.

Unlike the user gauloises1, I couldnt make my ISP give me an ipv4 address, since there simply are no more free addresses. Thats also the reason, why this thread will get interesting more and more in the future. (.. which is why I`d like to have this thread reopened ). I can`t switch providers also. UnityMedia provides me with 50MBit downstream and 2,5MBit Upstream via cable, no other cable-provider available and max speed via telephone-dsl is max 2MBit/s downstream. I am working as an IT-professional, I am sure you can understand the dilemma.

- Why should you bother ?

Well .. you needn`t bother at all .. the second reason why I wanted to restart this thread is that I also have additional solutions and workarounds, which I wanted to share with you.

1) Dyndns

The most easy thing to do, was getting up a working ipv6-dyndns.

As dyndns provider, the freedns of afraid*dot*org supports ipv6 addresses. Even a standard Fritz!Box or other provider can work with it, using "custom" settings with a specified update-url. You can simply use the link "Direct Update" in the webinterface of that dyndns-provider (in the dyndns--section of course) and copy it as the updateurl. Afterwards only append "&address=<ip6addr>" in case of a FritzBox to that URL and things should work fine. If you have a different router thats able to do custom dyndns, make sure you provide the ipv6-address explicitly (append the specific key thats being replaced with your current ipv6-address, in the mentioned Fritz!Box-case it`s <ip6addr>). Even though my Fritz!Box tells me "Status : Unknown", my IP gets updated fine.

2.) *Do I need IPv4 ? Can I switch to IPv6 completely if I have a similar case?*

- If you can host your services at home via IPv6 completely (without IPv4-WAN-IP) depends on the clients you will have and the services you want to host : If your clients are all able to do ipv6 and your services support ipv6, you can simply switch to ipv6 connection-type completely.

But : thats rarely the case. Most embedded devices with older (or sometimes even up2date) firmwares, mobile devices like smartphones via 3g/umts/hspda often get no ipv6-support (due to mobile-isps) and so on.
    Also, not every software has ipv6 support at all or enabled by default.

*What do I do, if I need to host IPv4 services and dont have my own IPv4-wan-address ?*

Then you`re in the same bad situation as me. You have 3 choices :

1. choice : Wait until the so called "pcp" (noo nothing to do wit`drugs man), the "Port Control Protocol" which is in developement and shall be supported by those providers that use DS-Lite techniques. When this will be ? *Nooo idea man*.

2. choice : Go mad at your provider until they give you an ipv4 address. Doesn`t always work out.

3. choice : use a vpn connection to a friend or your own vps/dedicated server and forward the required ports from that host to your own. This is what I did, by using a vpn between two freetzed Fritz!Box-es : The one of a friend of mine with 5 MBit upstream and another very old one, Fonwlan 7050, attached to my own "main" Fritz!Box which isnt supported by Freetz.
    If someone has problems setting up a similar connection, pm me for further details. Note that the "standard" vpn by Fritz!Box and other router is not Openvpn and not able to work with IPv6 on most router firmwares (some expensive business routers support this only, until now), which is why this solution works with freetz only.

I would love to hear from your experiences regarding ipv6. Also if theres a "pro" that has a mipsel-cccam-binary (ideally 2.3.0) with ipv6 - support that works in a chroot on freetz, pm me please =) (want to attach those clients that are able to do ipv6 directly, so that I dont use the upstream of the other vpn host as much.

regards, p1ngb4ck

Dear runmo : IF (emphasized!) I put a single word in full-capital-letters, it` s a name (!) or a box-type in general. a FRITZ!Box FonWlan 7050 is being written that exact way. thank you. Also "PCP" has been capital because it makes clear its a technical abbreviation. I like mods a lot that care for a clean board, we do all profit from that (having a "clean" forum). But please, don`t exaggerate.
  • MolaMola
    • Apr 2013

Re: ipv6 once again

A "DS-Lite"-Tunnel, doesn't that basically mean that you are behind a nat router hosted by your isp? So basically you share an external IPv4 address with a lot of other customers. Of course having your own IPv4 address would be ideal. But if you can't get your own couldn't you try to at least ask for a few IPv4 ports with a fixed port forward to your IPv6 address? Just a couple of ports could already enable you to run a few services.

I am not sure if this is at all possible. Just thinking out loud here.

I knew that v4-addresses are running out but that there are actual ISP's out there only handing out IPv6-addresses now is new for me. Do they tell their customers before they subscribe to their service?

Comment

• MolaMola
      • Apr 2013

I start to understand your first post better now. Amazing that ISP's use such exotic ways to deliver their product. Maybe a simple NAT service with a short network mask would have been better. Still not ideal but at least not as crippled as what they offer now (working port forwards). Then again I'm no professional so there might be other considerations behind their choice of technique here.

IPv6 adoption in general is way too slow. Too many consumer routers still don't support it and too many ISP's still don't provide native connections. Tunnels work but create extra overhead. Ironic that you are facing quite the opposite problem here. Aren't there any IPv4-in-IPv6 tunnels available out there? Some parties actually still have lots of v4-addresses available, back from the time when they handed out huge blocks as if addresses could never run out. Best of luck mate!

Comment

• p1ngb4ck
        • Apr 2013

There are several providers, that enable you to do the exact "other way round" : a so called "6to4 - tunnel". This enables people to have IPv6 connectivity if their provider doesn`t provide you with ipv6 yet.

hxxp://www*dot*sixxs*.net is such a free 6to4-tunnel-provider.

For my case (having no own ipv4-wan-address), there is no other solution (I currently know about) than vpn.

Comment

• MolaMola
          • Apr 2013

My guess is that subscribing to a VPN service provider is your best option. ******d a bit more but all I can find are IPv6-tunnels and 4to6 translation 'hacks' for the transition period. Sorry mate, seems you really have a unique problem here.

Comment

• p1ngb4ck
            • Apr 2013

Hey, as I already wrote in my first post, I solved it nicely with 2 freetzed routers and openvpn^^ so dont worry, this all was supposed to be info for others that might run into similar problems in the future.

Comment

Working...