Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

moving dish from 28.2°E to 19.2°E, lowcost

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neocid38
    • Apr 2013

moving dish from 28.2°E to 19.2°E, lowcost

Hi,
    I plan to move my Sky dish to get the 19.2°E Spanish and French channels.
    my dish is really small, you think it will work? It's the typical Sky dish you see everywhere... don't know the size...
    I don't have access to it so I didn't tried to move it yet, will have to get a ladder and just want to know if its worth buying one....

If you think it would work, what advice would you give me? any useful software to help me finding the right position? I have an iPhone that have a compass, maybe it can help.
    Just don't want to buy anything if possible. (Already paying too much things)

thanks!
  • mirny
    Experienced Board Member
    • Nov 2011

Re: moving dish from 28.2°E to 19.2°E, lowcost

maybe you can get some SD channels, but for HD channels with 8PSK modulation, you surely need bigger dish 80+
    for astra 1KR is recommended 90cm, check beam strenght on kingofsat
    HD-BOX FS-9200,SkyStar HD2 USB CI, Skystar2 90Fe Motor, 85Al Multifeed

If you like my post, or was helpful, don't be shy and press the Thanks Button.

Comment

• rikksow
      Board Senior Member
      • Jul 2012

If you want an app for your iphone try dishpointer I used this and it helps you find where to point your dish.

and something like dreaMote Lite will communicate with your dreambox while you are up the ladder and let you know the signal strength. Not ideal everyone will tell you but without having to buy meters it does the job. I used to pick up 19.2 e & 13e using a monoblock lnb on a 60cm dish in East Anglia & this is how i set mine up.

Comment

• pjmuk
        • Sep 2011

A lot of it depends whereabouts in the UK you are.

The further south the smaller the dish you need for 19e.

If you are in London or South East England a $ly mini dish will work fine.

You will not be able to get any channels on 19e on an official UK $ly box though.

Comment

• neocid38
          • Apr 2013

I'm actuall in London. So I believe I will give a try with the same dish and skybox f5.
          Will try the iPhone apps!
          Will give some feedback after trying it!

Comment

• pjmuk
            • Sep 2011

OK, it will help if you or a friend are within shouting distance/on the other end of the phone and can see the TV.

Tune box to a transponder unique to 19e from 28e like 11597 where BBC World News is.

I suggest permanent marker on the dish/arm to indicate current position before moving.

Raise the elevation of the mini dish very slightly.

Nudge the dish very slowly to the left as you are looking at it. It will not be very far, less than 1cm and you should see signal/quality strength shoot up - you should have found 19e.

Comment

• kalpikos
              Experienced Board Member
              • Sep 2011

Dear @neocid38

I think that your dish is very small and don't worth to move it.
              Buy a new one, bigger (90-100 cm) and I'm sure that you will not have any problem.
              For the installation , you need a satfinder (10-15E) a compass, some tools for the dish align, a friend and 2 phones.
              If You Like My Post..... Please Press the Thanks Button

Comment

• bokkie
                Experienced Board Member
                • Feb 2012

The best bet is to buy an 80-90 cm dish to be honest. They are not very expensive and you could either stick a motor on it, or you could make a multi lnb setup and get a couple more sats.
                You could do the lot for less than £100 if you do it yourself.

Comment

• Satphoenix
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by neocid38
                  Hi,
                  I plan to move my Sky dish...

...Just don't want to buy anything if possible. (Already paying too much things)

thanks!
                  It's absolutly necessary to watch the signal strength while you are moving the dish. Without it won't work!

And it sounds that you have another dish. How do you watch 28,2° after moving the dish? Perhaps there's a better solution for your "project"?!
                  If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans!

Comment

• neocid38
                    • Apr 2013

The issue is that I plan to move in Spain soon, so I prefer to buy the less things possible.
                    I can easily take my skybox on the plane, but not a dish. I plan to move next january, then I would invest more once there. I can watch Uk channels without sat so it would be ok to me. Don't watch much appart from football and documentaries.
                    I think I will try it and if it doesn't work I will put it back 28.2e.

Comment

• KVF1966
                      Board Senior Member
                      • Dec 2012

if we look at the coverage map satellite Astra 19.2 degrees East, in Spain you have enough of the size of the satellite dish 60 cm, but for the reception of television channels more suitable size of 90 cm and you will not have any problems with reception.

Comment

• neocid38
                        • Apr 2013

In Spain it will be another story, will probably invest in motorized dish.
                        He I have a small dish but it's from the flat, wont take it with me.
                        I checked the map on kingsofsat to see the size of dish I need in London to get 19.2e and I see that there is many Astra 19.2e sats (1B, 1H etc...) is it the same? any of these will give me the Spanish and French channels?
                        Thanks

Comment

• thecrazybandit
                          Experienced Board Member
                          • Jul 2012

If cost is a issue try to find a used dish there loads around on the net but i would not go any smaller than 80cm for astra 19 east

Comment

• luk4asz
                            Experienced Board Member
                            • Feb 2011

I would have tried with the dish of 60 cm. I myself have an dish 60 cm set on 13E and 19E. There are no problems with the reception of SD and HD channels. Loss of signal is five times a year when are heavy clouds in the sky.

Comment

• pjmuk
                              • Sep 2011

Hi Neocid38,

You will have absolutely no problem getting 19e on a mini dish in London.

I have helped friends do the same for 19e, 13e and 9e with excellent results.

Once you are on 19e you will get all the sats that are in that position 1H, 2B, 2C etc. French, Spanish, German, etc.

If this is the first time you have moved a dish just be patient and don't give up trying to find it. If you have marked the original dish position it is easy to move back and try again.

Comment

Working...