Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

fat32 size limit

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alankellyeire
    • Jan 2013

fat32 size limit

hey guys

got a vu duo and got my hard drive formatted to fat32 because my vu duo couldn't recognize my 2tb hard drive in nfts.
    the problem i have is that fat32 has a file size limit of 4gb and that only allows u to record an program of sd for about a max of 2 hours or a hd progam for about an hour. is there an plugin or something like that that will create a new file after it reaches the 4gb file size so the program can still record?

thanks for any help
  • Satphoenix
    Experienced Board Member
    • Oct 2012

Re: fat32 size limit

Did you test this?
    I have a cheap hd-receiver with pvr function and it records as long as I want with a fat32 hdd. It splits the files after 2gb and plays it afterwards without any glitch, althogh the recording has several 2gb parts.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans!

Comment

• pan1300
      Experienced Board Member
      • Apr 2012

hi alankellyeire

Did you try recording more than 4TB? Other boxes I know of (sorry, not open linux), automatically create new files (each file is about 1,5GB and a .ts file). With the boxes they play the full recording, on pc or with other players, they must be renamed and merged first.

About the VU+ I remember having read something about initialising + connecting by the VU+ itself.

Comment

• kostis
        Experienced Board Member
        • Nov 2012

i also advise you to try it and let it record until it stop. im 100% that another member had the same problem with you the last few days so if you still cannot record after 4gb then you can search inside the forum and find the answer.
        If my post was useful, please, use "Thanks" button

Comment

• alankellyeire
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by pan1100
          hi alankellyeire

Did you try recording more than 4TB? Other boxes I know of (sorry, not open linux), automatically create new files (each file is about 1,5GB and a .ts file). With the boxes they play the full recording, on pc or with other players, they must be renamed and merged first.

About the VU+ I remember having read something about initialising + connecting by the VU+ itself.
          i did try already recording it but it comes up disk is full when there is over 1.5tb free on the drive when it reaches the 4gb. when it comes up drive is full it then stops recording as it has reached the 4tb limit.

i tried initializing the drive but afterwards the vu duo doesn't recognize it.
          i tried formatting it using my mac but it was not able to recognize it either. but when i formatted it to fat32 it recognizes the drive and it 2tb size.

Comment

• kostis
            Experienced Board Member
            • Nov 2012

maybe you can split your hard disk in 2 or 3 parts like i do on windows were i place the windows installation on one part and on the other i place my files movies etc. when i like to format i erase only the one part. if you can do it then your receiver will may be able to read it as it will be less than 2tb each. if it works let us know.
            If my post was useful, please, use "Thanks" button

Comment

• alankellyeire
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by kostis
              maybe you can split your hard disk in 2 or 3 parts like i do on windows were i place the windows installation on one part and on the other i place my files movies etc. when i like to format i erase only the one part. if you can do it then your receiver will may be able to read it as it will be less than 2tb each. if it works let us know.
              i tried partitioning the drive on my mac but the vu duo still couldn't recognize it. it may be the mac formatting it to nfts why its not able to read it.

Originally posted by kostis
              i also advise you to try it and let it record until it stop. im 100% that another member had the same problem with you the last few days so if you still cannot record after 4gb then you can search inside the forum and find the answer.

i tried searching for the thread but couldn't find it. do u know the title of it so it would narrow down the results i get when searching??

thanks

why do i receive notification that there is a response and then come to the thread and there is no response

Comment

• vimmers
                Experienced Board Member
                • Jun 2010

you receive mail when someone response
                but the 2 last responses are deleted

it can happens that your harddrive are not compatible with your box
                have you tried to format it as a Linux partition

Comment

• mahrkpat
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Jun 2012

Originally posted by alankellyeire
                  i tried partitioning the drive on my mac but the vu duo still couldn't recognize it. it may be the mac formatting it to nfts why its not able to read it.
                  You must choose fat32 option and not ntfs when you format your hard drive the
                  box will not recognise the ntfs.
                  Once you get your vu duo to recognise the drive, use it to reformat your drive
                  see if that helps.
                  Liked my post then push the sigpic button.

Comment

• alankellyeire
                    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by vimmers
                    you receive mail when someone response
                    but the 2 last responses are deleted

thanks

it can happens that your harddrive are not compatible with your box
                    have you tried to format it as a Linux partition

what format is linux

Originally posted by mahrkpat
                    You must choose fat32 option and not ntfs when you format your hard drive the
                    box will not recognise the ntfs.
                    Once you get your vu duo to recognise the drive, use it to reformat your drive
                    see if that helps.
                    i did that but after i initialized the drive on the vu it didn't recognize it afterwards

thanks. i'd say the drive is too big

thanks

Comment

• valrug
                      Board Senior Member
                      • Nov 2011

You cannot format a volume larger than 32 gigabytes (GB) in size using the FAT32 file system during the Windows XP installation process. Windows XP can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB (subject to the other limits), but you cannot create a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB by using the Format tool during Setup. If you need to format a volume that is larger than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system to format it. Another option is to start from a Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) Startup disk and use the Format tool included on the disk

Comment

• zoran89
                        Experienced Board Member
                        • Mar 2010

You may try to use another image.

Is it clone or original?

Comment

• alankellyeire
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by valrug
                          You cannot format a volume larger than 32 gigabytes (GB) in size using the FAT32 file system during the Windows XP installation process. Windows XP can mount and support FAT32 volumes larger than 32 GB (subject to the other limits), but you cannot create a FAT32 volume larger than 32 GB by using the Format tool during Setup. If you need to format a volume that is larger than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system to format it. Another option is to start from a Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) Startup disk and use the Format tool included on the disk
                          i have a mac.

hi

zoran

its a clone i would say judging by the price i paid for it.

which is the best image around for the vu duo and also which is the easiest to use. i have open pli at the moment.

Comment

• maxsatp
                            • Jan 2013

Sorry I did not read the problem well.
                            However, it can be a guide for spellings to format a fat32 usb stick with a mac ......

If you format a usb stick in fat32 with a mac try this:
                            Enter key to format the USB port of your Mac
                            Open the Disk Utility application, located in the folder "Applications> Utilities"
                            In the left column in addition to 'main HD of your computer and the CD player, there should be the name of the key you just entered and you have to select by clicking it (turns blue). I highly recommend you to choose the key and not some other Hard Disk inserted whose data will be deleted relentlessly! So if you're not sure you choose the right disc not to proceed further!
                            Now in the right table click on the "Partition" at the top, (NOT initialized partition!)
                            The table that appears click on the pop-up menu where it says "Volume Scheme:" and choose "1 Partition" (or what you need)
                            Now the part that says "Volume Information" enter a name of your choice in the "Name" (if you have created more than one can assign a different name for each partition by clicking in each of the partitions in the left box,
                            In the pop-up menu where it says "Format" choose "MS-Dos (Fat)"
                            Important! Click on the "Options ..." below and in the window that appears choose "Master Boot Record (MBR)";
                            If you're really sure you modify the partitions of the key you can click on the "Apply" button at the bottom right.
                            Hello
                            Maxsatp

Comment

• ivngat76
                              Board Senior Member
                              • Dec 2011

you could use linux OS like Ubuntu (from CD without install it) , create a ext4 partition on your hard disk and use it

Comment

Working...