Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Sky unveils Now Tv.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bokkie
    Experienced Board Member
    • Feb 2012

Sky unveils Now Tv.

Sky unveils NOW TV streaming service on PC, Mac and Android
    Sky to offer hundreds of on-demand movies with its new non-subscription service.

Sky's NOW TV will square off against the already established might of juggernauts like Netflix and Lovefilm, each will be vying for a slice of the lucrative on-demand market.

On-demand movies

Sky NOW TV will offer both flexible and instant access to the latest Hollywood blockbusters and hundreds of classic movies on Sky Movies. Prices will start from 99p for classic titles to £3.49 for the latest blockbusters with NOW TV's ‘Pay & play’ movies range.

For those who want a bit more, a Sky Movies Pass is also available for just £15 a month. This will offer instant and unlimited access to the entire Sky Movies collection (that's 600 movies from the likes of Disney, Fox, Paramount, Sony, Warner Bros, and Universal).

You can get your hands on Sky NOW TV from tomorrow (17 July) using a PC, Mac or Android device. With iPhone and iPad being added within the month, and support for Xbox 360 later this summer.

The new service is said to "deliver instant TV awesomeness since... tomorrow".
  • scooterman
    Board Senior Member
    • Sep 2011

Re: Sky unveils Now Tv.

These companys offering movies via the net might just be the future a future that might see the end of sky,why would you want a dish or pay crazy prices for shit when the internet could perhaps be a much better option.
    I can see a whole new future could be a few years but i think they are worried.

Comment

• microchick
      Experienced Board Member
      • Apr 2012

You are right but then there will be very little free tv available to watch. The race will start and everyone would get charged for even watching the news and Emerdale.
      If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• rikksow
        Board Senior Member
        • Jul 2012

Until they can improve streaming capabilities there will always be a need for satellite tv. I live in a small village and only get 1mb dl speeds and streaming is just not possible. They will never upgrade our broadband because there just isnt enough people in our village for them to justify it.

Comment

• bokkie
          Experienced Board Member
          • Feb 2012

That's what I was getting at in another post. As long as it is financially driven, it's not viable for bt, vermin, etc to hook small communities up with fast broadband.
          I saw a program recently of one such community, think it was in Yorkshire.
          They had enough and decided to hook up there own satellite broadband throughout the town. They had a series of satellite dishes and a couple of people to run it.
          Think they paid about a tenner each a month and got 18 meg broadband out of it.

Comment

• microchick
            Experienced Board Member
            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by rikksow
            I live in a small village and only get 1mb dl speeds and streaming is just not possible. They will never upgrade our broadband because there just isnt enough people in our village for them to justify it.
            Your best bid would be satellite broadband. Its expensive but worth giving it a try. Its faster and no need for bt line.
            If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• bokkie
              Experienced Board Member
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by rikksow
              Until they can improve streaming capabilities there will always be a need for satellite tv. I live in a small village and only get 1mb dl speeds and streaming is just not possible. They will never upgrade our broadband because there just isnt enough people in our village for them to justify it.
              Or, depending on signal strength, 3g broadband.
              It's not lightning fast, but can get speeds up to 7.2 Mbps.
              And its releatively stable.

Comment

• microchick
                Experienced Board Member
                • Apr 2012

7.2Mbps is a lot better than 1Mbps. No need for lots of wires and data line. If its a small village in countryside then the possibility of getting a 3g signal is not great because there is no 3g or even mobile broadband signal in many rural areas.

Comment

• mahrkpat
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Jun 2012

The majority of people live in cities and fibre optic lines are being rolled out and sad to say that's where the money is.

Sky's NOW is also going to be part of the BBC backed YOUVIEW box, a set top box so no need to have a computer connected to your t.v just br0adband connection.
                  Liked my post then push the sigpic button.

Comment

• microchick
                    Experienced Board Member
                    • Apr 2012

I think first of all they need to sort the broadband problems out. Majority of the population is still using the old fashioned dial up network. Its not like Scandinavia or Far East where people are able to get 1Gbps easily.

Comment

• sammyhere2
                      • Jul 2012

hi just this today, it was very depressing to read about the £1.1bn shortfall in the funding for broadband. But i cant say its surprising. The one thing you guarantee with govenrment targets is that they wont be met. the powers in charge will then move the goalposts at the last minute so they can claim its been a success. this year it is spending £200bn on transport and £50m on broadband infrastruture. Now a measly £50m on broadbond is pathetic.

Comment

Working...