Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

How to Test if my STB is still Connected with a CS server in Standby

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bokkie
    Experienced Board Member
    • Feb 2012

This is not 1st post. Please see below for OP.

Yes my vu+ duo is connected in standby. I know this as well because if I leave the stb in standby I can still access it via openweb interface on my pc and stream encrypted channels.
  • locan
    • May 2012

Hey guys so for everybody who wants to know if there is a risk while letting your Receiver on standby and the receiver is still connected to a Cs server? I made a little test that proof's if its true.

So many of you might think why i made this new thread? actually we had a little discussion on what happens if the receiver is in standby and will it still connect or receive/send data to the CS server but we were getting more off topic on that thread so i decided to make a new thread for those who are still interested.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok guys i made a Test and can say there is no Data Transfering between "My" STB and the CS server while in standby mode, but please keep in mind that i only tried it with my STB so results can be vary, therefore i decided to make a little tutorial so you guys can test it by your self if you want, the more testers we have the more we can be sure which STB does it and which doesn't. Oh and if someone else knows a better way how to test the Data being send by the receiver while in standby, please let us know thx

So Here the Results of the TEST:

As you can see here, there is a lot of traffic, the Receiver in this picture is "On" and connected to the PC via ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) The data is being logged with the Tool "Wireshark" this tool is capturing the data being send/received by the Lan port where my receiver is connected,
    so the STB is getting the keys from the Server, the channel was encrypted and everything worked just fine.
    The Black drawing in the picture is showing the IP address so i just dont want to share the IP's from others so i decided to draw it black.

STB being used is a Edision Argus Piccollo HDip

In the next Picture, the Receiver is Turned into Standby Mode and for sure it was on a coded channel, the Connection in the Network ControlCenter said That the receiver was Disconnected after i turned the stb in standby and no data got transfered (Just like if i turn of my stb and the router shows no connection from the stb). But i wasn't really sure about if it just needs a little bit longer until the data gets transfered, so i decided to let it stay like this for more than 20min while capturing the Data but it was totally clear. So no Data has been send through the connection.

So after all i can say my Receiver definitely has no connection while in standby mode and hopefuly someone finds another way how to test it, so we can be more sure also it would be nice if you guys would try it with your STB's so we can see which Receiver send's DATA and which doesn't.

Edit: I also realized that the receiver is trying to connect the CS servers while it is Booting, thats why the channels are mostly open when you start up the Receiver.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK guys and like i said, here a little Tutorial on how to make this Test
    Before i start this here, i will make sure that i am not responsable of any damage your PC/laptop or STB will get while using this tutorial, if you have no knowledge about this, i recommend not to do it.

What do i need?
    - The tool Wireshark (can be downloaded here x32 & x64 __www.wireshark.org/)
    - The Capture driver WinPcap if needed ( downlaod it here x32 and x64 __winpcap.org/)
    - ICS = Internet Connection Sharing ( already installed in Windows)

How to:

1.Wireshark Installation:

First of all Download and install Wireshark, The WinPcap driver is also included in the Wireshark installer but i had to install it separately because for any reason it wasn't installed, thats why i placed the Winpcap link above. So if the tool says after the installation something like ("NPF driver not loaded") pls downlaod and install the WinPcap driver above. After installing, it could be that the program will ask you for a reboot, Reboot your system and thats it for wireshark.

2.Enable ICS - Internet Connection Sharing:

Configuring the ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on Windows is actually quit easy, so if you want to share the internet connection that your pc or laptop is using, you need 2 Network Ports It can be 2 Lan Ports or like in my case 1 W-lan and 1 Lan Port.

-First connect your STB with your PC/Laptop via the LAN Port

-Open Network Connections and click the Windows Start button Click Control Panel, Click Network and Internet and then Network and Sharing Center

- Now Click Change adapter settings in the left side of the Window

- here you can see all your adapters, you can see if the adapter is
    connected or not.

-Now choose the adapter which is Connected to the Internet and that means to the router

-If you found the right adapter press the right Mouse button on the adapter icon and choose Properties, the Properties window will open now

-Click the Sharing tab, and then select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection check box.

-Press OK and thats it ICS is now enabled and the STB if you did it right will have now a new ip and a connection to the Internet.

Source how to Enable ICS: ___windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Using-ICS-Internet-Connection-Sharing

This is how it looks with my pc.

3.Using Wireshark:

So if everything works fine and the STB has a connection to the Internet via ICS, you can start open Wireshark.

Under "Start" you can see the diffrent Network Ports my PC has, Click the network adapter your STB is using and press "Start"
    If your STB is On and has a connection to the pc you will see Wireshark starts to capture the data that gets transfered between the PC and the STB.

Now for testing in standby mode, Turn off the Receiver and make the same steps above started on "3.Using Wireshark"

Please Press the "Thank you" Button if it helped you

Best Regards Locan

Comment

• bong1
      Board Senior Member
      • Apr 2010

Re: How to Test if my STB is still Connected with a CS server in Standby

my technomate is connected in cccam on standby that's y i put it on a fta channel so it dont overload server
      coyi !

Comment

• locan
        • May 2012

Originally posted by bong1
        my technomate is connected in cccam on standby that's y i put it on a fta channel so it dont overload server
        thx for your post but can you please type the exact model name so other people who are interested in this and has the same receiver know that this receiver sends data. And also if you want you can try the test too and post the results here that would be much more informative

Comment

• stu667
          • Dec 2011

Hello,

My vu+ solo is connected even in standby mode. I think it's the same for pretty much all receivers. Am I right?

In deep standby, it's off, I think.

Comment

• microchick
            Experienced Board Member
            • Apr 2012

Thanks for all the info. I will give it a go but I always thought that Wireshark was used for cracking a security code of a network?
            If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• locan
              • May 2012

Originally posted by microchick
              Thanks for all the info. I will give it a go but I always thought that Wireshark was used for cracking a security code of a network?
              No i think you are mixing it up with kismet or other tools. Wireshark is a normal and good tool sure you can use it also in a bad way for other things but in this case it is actually just for analyzing like it says here.
              "Wireshark is a free and open-source packet analyzer. It is used for network troubleshooting, analysis, software and communications protocol development, and education." source: wikipedia

Originally posted by stu667
              Hello,

My vu+ solo is connected even in standby mode. I think it's the same for pretty much all receivers. Am I right?

In deep standby, it's off, I think.
              As you can see not for my receiver. So not all receiver connects in stand by and my receiver is a non linux receiver so maybe that is also a point because i cant connect via web interface my receiver doesn't support that.
              Best Regards

Comment

• microchick
                Experienced Board Member
                • Apr 2012

I think you are right. Its similar to some of the pc's when they are in standby they are still connected to the internet. I think an open source linux receiver will have the similar technique. Non linux, e.g, openbox and some other may be different and may completely disconnect when they are in standby.
                If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• locan
                  • May 2012

I think you are right. Its similar to some of the pc's when they are in standby they are still connected to the internet. I think an open source linux receiver will have the similar technique. Non linux, e.g, openbox and some other may be different and may completely disconnect when they are in standby.
                  Exactly , thats why in my test i also said "that the results can be vary" since i only have this receiver, i can't say which has it and which not therefor i placed a tutorial in it so people can try and post

Btw seems legit how bokkie's Post is the First Post

Comment

• bokkie
                    Experienced Board Member
                    • Feb 2012

It must vary from one to the other. Could have something to do with what microchick said.linux or non linux.
                    Oh and by the way. My other post was about the 4th, not 1st post. I tried deleting it but it wouldn't let me.

Comment

• pan1300
                      Experienced Board Member
                      • Apr 2012

hi

That's what I thought also: open linux-boxes still connecting after standby, non open linux seems to disconnect in standby ; @locan: thanks again for your effort, but a bit difficult to install soft on the current 'work' computers atm - maybe will test someday. As said some weeks ago: my 2 boxes (clients) are not shown in the router (also no light flickering by the ports) as soon as they're on standby - so pretty sure disconnected after standby (Mvision HD-270CN + Protek 9700 HD IP).

Comment

• microchick
                        Experienced Board Member
                        • Apr 2012

Just did a test on Openbox S11, the box didnt receive any packets after it went to Standby which means it was completely disconnected from the server. Thanks to Locan for producing the tutorial.

Comment

• locan
                          • May 2012

Originally posted by pan1100
                          hi

That's what I thought also: open linux-boxes still connecting after standby, non open linux seems to disconnect in standby ; @locan: thanks again for your effort, but a bit difficult to install soft on the current 'work' computers atm - maybe will test someday. As said some weeks ago: my 2 boxes (clients) are not shown in the router (also no light flickering by the ports) as soon as they're on standby - so pretty sure disconnected after standby (Mvision HD-270CN + Protek 9700 HD IP).
                          Thank you Pan,
                          and ya your are right if actually the router shows no light flickering from the Box, you can be pretty much sure that it doesn't send's or Receive's data but to be 100% sure wireshark is the best solution
                          So if you one day decide to try it out your self and if you have any problems on setting it up correctly Feel free to ask for help, I will do my best to help you ^^

Just did a test on Openbox S11, the box didnt receive any packets after it went to Standby which means it was completely disconnected from the server. Thanks to Locan for producing the tutorial.
                          Your Welcome Microchick and thanks for the Test,
                          So it really seems like we were right with our theory that linux and non linux boxes act differently

Comment

• microchick
                            Experienced Board Member
                            • Apr 2012

Yes it looks like the Linux and non Linux receires are different in their connectivity. We wouuld like to hear from other people to do the test for non linux receivers.

Comment

• bokkie
                              Experienced Board Member
                              • Feb 2012

I am guessing dreambox will have the same result as my vu+ as it's a linux receiver.
                              Any dreambox users able to confirm this?

Comment

Working...