Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

TM5402HD recording & playback

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • odysseas1991
    Experienced Board Member
    • Jan 2011

TM5402HD recording & playback

After recently purchasing a Hard drive in order to record programmes on this TM5402HD, and was wondering about the compatability of the recorded file when trying to play back on a particular media on another device such as a PC.

Is this possible, and is there such software that will play a recording or does it all have to be played through the box itself?

Thanks
  • pan1300
    Experienced Board Member
    • Apr 2012

Re: TM5402HD recording & playback

hi odysseas1991

I don't know the TM's, but normally the recordings are some kind of media-files (eg .TS or .TS2), which easily can be played with eg vlc-player. For a lot of boxes the harddrive must be formatted into FAT32 (box can be used or FAT32Formatter), often the files are cut into different files, which even often have to be renamed to be able to play. Copying/burning on dvd or bd isn't so simple (still struggling myself and searching for an easy/quick way to do so).

Basically, I suggest you record some stuff, and check with your pc what's there (file extensions and sizes).

Good luck, and keep us informes please

Comment

• odysseas1991
      Experienced Board Member
      • Jan 2011

Hi pan1100,

Thanks for the reply. Yes my hard drive is in FAT32 as that is the only format the TM recognises.

The format that is output is MPEG-TS Video File (.trp) and I tried with a VLC player that you suggested it and it works, thanks! Now I have full quality HD recordings from any channel in the world available to record and use on a computer!

It did not split any of the video file also, but it did have other small files which act as ID tags for the TM itself as in time/date etc...

I have not tried to burn this type of format, but I would guess that it is convertable or could go straight on since it opens?

Many thanks

Comment

• bokkie
        Experienced Board Member
        • Feb 2012

I used freemake video converter to convert my recordings. Easy to use anf it's free, as the name suggests.

Comment

• purenirvana
          Board Senior Member
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by odysseas1991
          I have not tried to burn this type of format, but I would guess that it is convertable or could go straight on since it opens?
          You could just burn it as a 'data disc' DVD as it is if you just want to double click the file and play it on a computer. If you want to play it on a standalone DVD player or similar then you'd probably need to convert it. Programs like AVStoDVD and DVDFlick should be able to open MPEG-TS files and convert them into a playable DVD for you.
          If you find my post useful, please use the "Thanks" button

Comment

• odysseas1991
            Experienced Board Member
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by purenirvana
            You could just burn it as a 'data disc' DVD as it is if you just want to double click the file and play it on a computer. If you want to play it on a standalone DVD player or similar then you'd probably need to convert it. Programs like AVStoDVD and DVDFlick should be able to open MPEG-TS files and convert them into a playable DVD for you.
            Yes the data disc will simply act as a USB stick or portable drive so it would work! I definitely need to convert it to get it to burn as a DVD because the format is unreadable to current DVD players (I tried to burn it!). I will try using the converter suggested by bokkie and see if it works!

Comment

Working...