Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Openbox & Multisat

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • McrRed
    • Jul 2012

Openbox & Multisat

I've got my Openbox S11 setup as a single 28.2 satellite at the moment and I'm very pleased with the performance.

I'm from the "if it ain't broke, fix it" school and want to see if I can get this thing working with a few more birds on the arc.

I'm getting conflicting reports as to how well the openbox can handle motorised setups and I don't want to wreck what I've already got.

Should I be able to scan all the major satellites? SHould I just go for a select few? Should I stick with 28.2?

Has anyone got this model driving a motorised setup?

Thanks
    M
  • bokkie
    Experienced Board Member
    • Feb 2012

Re: Openbox & Multisat

I have heard that some of the openbox clones struggle to drive a motor.
    Do you have an original or clone openbox?
    Personally I would go for a dm or vu+, but I think an openbox should do it.

Comment

• mahrkpat
      Experienced Board Member
      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by bokkie
      I have heard that some of the openbox clones struggle to drive a motor.
      Do you have an original or clone openbox?
      Personally I would go for a dm or vu+, but I think an openbox should do it.
      You might need to have an external 24v power supply unit to drive the motor.
      Liked my post then push the sigpic button.

Comment

• microchick
        Experienced Board Member
        • Apr 2012

@McrRed: first of all, where did you buy your Openbox. If your Openbox has a problem with motors then it should be mentioned to you personally or on the website.
        Openbox S11 are as good as driving a motor as Dreams and VUs. Openbox has the function USALS which will find all the satellites for you and will scan them as long as your installation is perfect. There are all the basic funtions in openbox which are good for driving a motor. It does a Blind Scan too which is missing in most of the medern receivers.
        The only drawback of the openbox is that the memory is really small and it can store only a few thousand channels. If you scan 28.2e, 19.2e and 13e then your channel memory will be almost full so you can not scan and store many satellites with it.
        Some of the people have reported that receiver reboots whilest driving a motor and that was because of the faulty power supply. If something like that happen to you, contact your seller and ask for a replacement!!
        If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• ocram88

My openbox can receive the signal from two satellites, with a dualfeed system. For the motorized system, I have not found any settings menu

Comment

• McrRed
            • Jul 2012

It's an original so I'll have a go as it is then look at the 24v option.

(Or maybe that means I just go for the DM/VU route - if only I had the £££).

Comment

• microchick
              Experienced Board Member
              • Apr 2012

@McrRed: If you are happy with your box, as I am at the moment then theres no need to change it. I am sure the motor function will work ok for you. The best way to do it to borrow a motor from a friend and check it on your box as it it. If its moving the motor then its fine. If it doesn't move the motor then don't bother spending your money. Or contact the seller and ask for a replacement if its still in the warranty.
              If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• bokkie
                Experienced Board Member
                • Feb 2012

I'd also suggest, due to the limited channel memory, that you download a multisat list and edit out what you don't want.
                As Microchick said, 28.2e, 13e and 19e will use up most of your memory.
                So download a list such as Vhannibal, c@jton, etc and get rid of what you don't want.

Comment

• McrRed
                  • Jul 2012

Originally posted by microchick
                  @McrRed: first of all, where did you buy your Openbox. If your Openbox has a problem with motors...
                  The only drawback of the openbox is that the memory is really small and it can store only a few thousand channels. If you scan 28.2e, 19.2e and 13e then your channel memory will be almost full so you can not scan and store many satellites with it.
                  Yes. This is the problem I think I'll face. The receiver drives the motor okay. It just starts to fail transponders after a while which I assume is down to the memory getting full.

I thought the other route might be to download an edited multi-sat channel list, that someone else has used, to save memory (but it'd have to have exactly the same satellites, I guess).

Comment

• microchick
                    Experienced Board Member
                    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by ocram88
                    My openbox can receive the signal from two satellites, with a dualfeed system. For the motorized system, I have not found any settings menu
                    You can find the motor menu here
                    Menu>Installation> Installation Antenna & Sattelite Quick Setting: here you can put your longituge and lattitude for your location and to set up your motor as Diseqc Or USALS.
                    Menu>Installation> Antenna Setup>Motor Type: Here you can find out more options about the motors.
                    There is another option below the Motor Type, where you can have all the other settings, Go To X Function and nudges for your motor.
                    Good Luck

Comment

• bokkie
                      Experienced Board Member
                      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by McrRed
                      Yes. This is the problem I think I'll face. The receiver drives the motor okay. It just starts to fail transponders after a while which I assume is down to the memory getting full.

I thought the other route might be to download an edited multi-sat channel list, that someone else has used, to save memory (but it'd have to have exactly the same satellites, I guess).
                      Most multisat lists cover everything form 45e to 30w, which covers most of what we can receive here in the u.k..
                      You can also use dreamset, download the satellites you want and edit it yourself.

Comment

• microchick
                        Experienced Board Member
                        • Apr 2012

My suggestion would be to go through the list of the channels and their corresponding transponders on "king of sats" or "Lyngsat" and only scan the transponders you need. You can also skip all the radio channles as I dont know how many of us would be listening to german, italian or turkish radio on satellite? This way you can save a lot of space to scan some useful channels. Have a look at the websites I mentioned and if you think you will never watch a channel then dont scan it.
                        Its time consuming but works well for openbox's small memory.

Comment

Working...