Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

is it possible to maintain dreambox from other location

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • topman96
    Board Senior Member
    • Feb 2011

is it possible to maintain dreambox from other location

can any body help is it possible to maintain my fathers dreambox from my house like adding clines and removeing clines and adding new channel lists as he lives quite a few mile from me so i f i could do this i would be able to look after his box from my house
  • whinpo
    • Jul 2011

Re: is it possible to maintain dreambox from other location

I would better advise ssh than telnet/ftp...

with ssh (using Putty under Windows) you can connect to command line and send files via scp (protocol available in filezilla)

first thing to do : CHANGE THE ROOT PASSWORD ON THE DREAMBOX to prevent unauthorized users to acces...

your father must have a fixed IP or use dyndns to allow you to know where to connect (using a FQDN)

after it depends of the capability of your father's modem/router.

If the device is not to dumb, you should be able to redirect any port. That means you open a port (let's say 12222 in order not to expose the real port on internet) and tell the modem to forward the incoming connection (UDP and TCP) to the dbox on port 22 (for ssh and scp)

if you wanna manage it via web interface too, you can redirect the port using the same method

and normally you're done

don't hesitate would you need any more precise explanation

Comment

• silver2011
      • Aug 2011

You need to set port forwarding, since usually the device is behind NAT as explained above. The simple test is after you set up dyndns and port forwarding by opening the dreambox web interface. You should map it for example at port 7000, so try to open db500.dyndns.xx:7000. If that flies, next thing is except port 80 for web to enable ports 21-23 for telnet, ssh as well as 12000 for cc

Comment

• erno
        • Aug 2011

That works pretty well once ports are opened. I am regularly monitoring my network of dremboxes from my Iphone over 3G, with a Telnet application.

Comment

Working...