Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

TP-Link Router 3220 DNS Problem

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • filicart
    • Apr 2013

Re: TP-Link Router 3220 DNS Problem

stupid question, you saved before exiting? you've performed a reboot?

Comment

• gianni253
      Experienced Board Member
      • Nov 2012

[QUOTE=nml;281087]I have used custom dns servers option but still it reverts back to isp's wan servers.
      [/QUOTE]
      There must be something else ...
      How can you tell that your client is using isp's dns ?
      By the way, what kind is your client ?
      Please, execute the following command from your client and report here
      [CODE]nslookup www.google.com[/CODE]

Comment

• nml52
        Board Senior Member
        • Nov 2011

gianni253
        Here is Ns llookup result.
        Server: 127.0.0.1
        Address 1: 127.0.0.1 localhost

Name: 192.168.222.1
        Address 1: 192.168.222.1
        and trace route to google.
        traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
        1 192.168.222.1 5.545 ms
        2 192.168.153.1 47.605 ms
        3 81.46.41.17 48.675 ms
        4 5.53.1.69 62.139 ms
        5 176.52.253.102 63.079 ms
        6 216.239.49.196 75.259 ms
        7 209.85.240.189 82.565 ms
        8 209.85.253.20 101.441 ms
        9 72.14.236.191 90.514 ms
        10 *
        11 8.8.8.8 87.605 ms

I am trying to use on demand on Linux boxand by the time my nameserver has sorted it it it's reporting no playable stream, I am assuming this is caused by a time out.

It works fine with a 3g dongle.

It is a wireless wan via Ariel rebadged but from Telefonica.

@filicart Yes done all of that many times.

nml

Comment

• gianni253
          Experienced Board Member
          • Nov 2012

[QUOTE=nml;281146]gianni253
          Here is Ns llookup result.
          Server: 127.0.0.1
          Address 1: 127.0.0.1 localhost

Name: 192.168.222.1
          Address 1: 192.168.222.1
          and trace route to google.
          traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
          1 192.168.222.1 5.545 ms
          2 192.168.153.1 47.605 ms
          3 81.46.41.17 48.675 ms
          4 5.53.1.69 62.139 ms
          5 176.52.253.102 63.079 ms
          6 216.239.49.196 75.259 ms
          7 209.85.240.189 82.565 ms
          8 209.85.253.20 101.441 ms
          9 72.14.236.191 90.514 ms
          10 *
          11 8.8.8.8 87.605 ms

I am trying to use on demand on Linux boxand by the time my nameserver has sorted it it it's reporting no playable stream, I am assuming this is caused by a time out.

It works fine with a 3g dongle.

It is a wireless wan via Ariel rebadged but from Telefonica.

@filicart Yes done all of that many times.

nml[/QUOTE]

Mate, your dns is misconfigured on client side: your nslookup is showing that the dns you are pointing is your machine itself and traceroute did not complete well.
          You should provide more informations about your client and your network configuration.

Comment

• aplok
            Experienced Board Member
            • Jun 2013

hi,

to make it clear how your dsl-link config looks like, just edit the xml config file as following:

firefox ipdslrouter
            admin
            secret

menu >maintenance >save.restore.sqettings >save settings hard drive ... yes

then, the touter config is dump in /pathtodownload/backupsettings.conf

edit /pathtodownload/backupsettings.conf

and check this:

[FONT="Courier New"]<dns
            dynamic="enable" <<<
            primary="8.8.8.8"
            secondary="0.0.0.0"
            domain="mydomainname"/>[/FONT]

and this

[FONT="Courier New"]<Lan>

<entry9999 address="1.1.1.1" mask="255.255.255.0" dns
            relay="disable"
            dhcpServer="disable"
            leasedTime="0"
            startAddr="0.0.0.0"
            endAddr="0.0.0.0"
            instanceId="123456"/>

<entry1
            address="192.168.1.1"
            mask="255.255.255.0"

dnsrelay="enable" <<<

dhcpServer="enable"
            leasedTime="24"
            startAddr="192.168.1.1"
            endAddr="192.168.1.254"
            instanceId="654321"/>

</Lan>
            [/FONT]

this will help for debug :)

Comment

• nml52
              Board Senior Member
              • Nov 2011

[QUOTE=gianni253;281153]Mate, your dns is misconfigured on client side: your nslookup is showing that the dns you are pointing is your machine itself and traceroute did not complete well.
              You should provide more informations about your client and your network configuration.[/QUOTE]
              The router works fine on 3g and with the new firmware on works on a friends satellite internet. the best way I can describe the sever is it is like a massive local in house network so it allocates as a dns server a local network ip, the others that I want to use are showing on a search so should be available but the router will not force it ( I suppose it could be being blocked by the local isp,

If I try to use namebench to benchmark servers it returns the error " Your router or internet service provider is redirecting all outgoing DNS requests. This means you cant benchmark or utilize alternative DNS server

DNS spoofability reports,
              18 “Pseudo-Resolvers” in a Class-C Network: As you can see from the details provided in the blue bar
              above, 5,000 queries were received from 18 unique IP addresses closely grouped within a single class-C network.
              In other words, only the last byte of the IP addresses of those 5,000 queries differed from each other. This indicates
              that rather than there being 18 actual nameservers at those individual IP addresses, only a single nameserver
              is located behind a “reverse NAT”, causing it to emit queries from up to 256 randomly-chosen IP addresses. This
              introduces an additional eight (8) bits of uncertainty into this nameserver's queries, since the querying IP might
              have any least significant byte. Therefore, even if the nameserver's query source port range, or its transaction
              IDs, are limited, significant additional randomness has been introduced into this nameserver's queries.

There does appear to be a number of this type of isp networks and from my research on the Internet it looks like the only way to get around it is to make alterations to dns masq.

nml

Comment

• gianni253
                Experienced Board Member
                • Nov 2012

[QUOTE=nml;281179]The router works fine on 3g and with the new firmware on works on a friends satellite internet. the best way I can describe the sever is it is like a massive local in house network so it allocates as a dns server a local network ip, the others that I want to use are showing on a search so should be available but the router will not force it ( I suppose it could be being blocked by the local isp,

If I try to use namebench to benchmark servers it returns the error " Your router or internet service provider is redirecting all outgoing DNS requests. This means you cant benchmark or utilize alternative DNS server

18 “Pseudo-Resolvers” in a Class-C Network: As you can see from the details provided in the blue bar
                above, 5,000 queries were received from 18 unique IP addresses closely grouped within a single class-C network.
                In other words, only the last byte of the IP addresses of those 5,000 queries differed from each other. This indicates
                that rather than there being 18 actual nameservers at those individual IP addresses, only a single nameserver
                is located behind a “reverse NAT”, causing it to emit queries from up to 256 randomly-chosen IP addresses. This
                introduces an additional eight (8) bits of uncertainty into this nameserver's queries, since the querying IP might
                have any least significant byte. Therefore, even if the nameserver's query source port range, or its transaction
                IDs, are limited, significant additional randomness has been introduced into this nameserver's queries.

There does appear to be a number of this type of isp networks and from my research on the Internet it looks like the only way to get around it is to make alterations to dns masq.

nml[/QUOTE]

:confused::confused:
                Sorry mate, but I did not understand your report.
                I only asked what kind is your client (WinXp ? Linux ? Linux embedded ?) and it's network tcp/ip configuration.
                Anyway the sentence " Your router or internet service provider is redirecting all outgoing DNS requests. This means you cant benchmark or utilize alternative DNS server" lets me think that your isp is the only responsible of your problem and there's nothing you can do with your router.

Comment

• nml52
                  Board Senior Member
                  • Nov 2011

[QUOTE=gianni253;281301]:confused::confused:
                  Sorry mate, but I did not understand your report.
                  I only asked what kind is your client (WinXp ? Linux ? Linux embedded ?) and it's network tcp/ip configuration.
                  Anyway the sentence " Your router or internet service provider is redirecting all outgoing DNS requests. This means you cant benchmark or utilize alternative DNS server" lets me think that your isp is the only responsible of your problem and there's nothing you can do with your router.[/QUOTE]

I agree mate but it was worth a try.
                  Anyway I am on a waiting list for landline adsl so should be fine in about 3 months.
                  opewrt looks to be a great alternative.

Regards nml

Comment

• aplok
                    Experienced Board Member
                    • Jun 2013

this is like Redirecting DNS port (request) to a (their) specific DNS server

hints to dig in:

[FONT="Courier New"]
                    I use a ubuntu server as a router for my users on a NAT network.
                    [I]I want to force all users to use a local dns server setup on the network. [/I]
                    Even if they use a public DNS server in their client machines, the DNS port should be redirected (DNAT) to my local DNS server. This is what I have come up with:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth5 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.1:53
                    iptables -A FORWARD -d 192.168.1.1 -i eth5 -p udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT

The interface facing NAT network is eth5. The above rules were not working for me. Are there any better solutions?

EDIT 1: My aim is to implement Opndns filter to prevent bittorrent traffic on the network. The filter is working quite well at present, and the users get the local dns server because they use DHCP. But I fear that they might discover a work around, like, specifying ip address and dns server ip's manually.

EDIT 2: The following code implements the feature on tomato firmware:

if (nvram_match("dns_intcpt", "1")) {
                    ipt_write("-A PREROUTING -p udp -s %s/%s ! -d %s/%s --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination %s\n",
                    lanaddr, lanmask,
                    lanaddr, lanmask,
                    lanaddr);
                    }
                    [/FONT]

hope this will help

Comment

• nml52
                      Board Senior Member
                      • Nov 2011

[QUOTE=aplok;281307]this is like Redirecting DNS port (request) to a (their) specific DNS server

hints to dig in:

[FONT="Courier New"]
                      I use a ubuntu server as a router for my users on a NAT network.
                      [I]I want to force all users to use a local dns server setup on the network. [/I]
                      Even if they use a public DNS server in their client machines, the DNS port should be redirected (DNAT) to my local DNS server. This is what I have come up with:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth5 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.1:53
                      iptables -A FORWARD -d 192.168.1.1 -i eth5 -p udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT

The interface facing NAT network is eth5. The above rules were not working for me. Are there any better solutions?

EDIT 1: My aim is to implement Opndns filter to prevent bittorrent traffic on the network. The filter is working quite well at present, and the users get the local dns server because they use DHCP. But I fear that they might discover a work around, like, specifying ip address and dns server ip's manually.

EDIT 2: The following code implements the feature on tomato firmware:

if (nvram_match("dns_intcpt", "1")) {
                      ipt_write("-A PREROUTING -p udp -s %s/%s ! -d %s/%s --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination %s\n",
                      lanaddr, lanmask,
                      lanaddr, lanmask,
                      lanaddr);
                      }
                      [/FONT]

hope this will help[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what it is and what is happening, good to know that you understand the problem . I think that my isp is blocking (for obvious reasons to reduce bandwidth usage) the streaming servers such as on Ondemand, do you think that I am correct?

I don't actually want to stream for hours on end but I do a lot of testing on different firmware and plugins.

The strange thing is that I have a foxsatpvr that works for ITV player but not BBC and the ITV player will not work on anything else PC etc, why it works on the foxsat I don't know.

Very good input do you think that there is a way around this? the dhcp allocates up to 254 addresses that appear to point to one server.

Hope this helps nml

Comment

• aplok
                        Experienced Board Member
                        • Jun 2013

[QUOTE=nml;281179]... the best way I can describe the sever is it is like a massive local in house network ...
                        [/QUOTE]
                        i must admit this does'nt help much ...

[QUOTE=nml;281179]
                        [I][B]so[/B][/I] it allocates as a dns server a local network ip,
                        [/QUOTE]
                        why [I][B]so[/B][/I] ? how do you know this ?

[QUOTE=nml;281179]
                        the others that I want to use are showing on a search so should be available but the router will not force it ( I suppose it could be being blocked by the local isp,
                        [/QUOTE]
                        i suppose that is what you see aftewards ?

[QUOTE=nml;281179]
                        [/QUOTE]
                        what is [I]namebench to benchmark servers[/I] ?

[QUOTE=nml;281179]
                        18 “Pseudo-Resolvers” in a Class-C Network: As you can see from the details provided in the blue bar above,

[I][B]5,000 queries were received from 18 unique IP[/B] addresses closely grouped within a single class-C network.[/I]

[/QUOTE]
                        Is this a normal behaviour of your local needs ?

i think this might be a hints if not a 'normal' needs
                        like a dodgy process sending excessive dns requests to isp

the isp is fed up and block it
                        maybe for security

Comment

• joseram2000
                          Board Senior Member
                          • Nov 2010

placed as dns ip of the router, and you always will come out the dns you have configured on the router

Comment

• phil76
                            Board Senior Member
                            • Oct 2012

[QUOTE=fraxs;279981]Hello,
                            I have the same router (v1).
                            I have installed the latest version of "OpenWRT" fw.
                            Search this with google.[/QUOTE]

Yes, check your model and install an alternative firmware like OpenWRT. It will enhance your device's performance, enabling other features that the original firmware does not have.

Comment

• joseram2000
                              Board Senior Member
                              • Nov 2010

reset the router holding the reset button down fifteen seconds, catch default admin user and password and you can manipulate 1234 to taste

Comment

Working...