Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

32bit OS & VGA shared memory question

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • microchick
    Experienced Board Member
    • Apr 2012

Re: 32bit OS & VGA shared memory question

Hi besit,
    You are actually giving advice for a new video card and also downgrade to winXP? meaning spending more money on buying another video card and buying a new (old) operating system which is completing its life cycle in 2014. No more updates for XP after 2014 (according to Microsoft).

I suggest to play with your system without spending anymore money on it. More fun to do things with your system and make it work without spending money or downgrading.
    If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• findeciclo
      Experienced Board Member
      • Oct 2010

The best is dedicated graphics card instead shared memory. Sure.
      So your own gpu will take his own memory instead decrease pc resources.
      The graphics card must have at least 1 Gb dedicated DDR3 memory and HD properties, like HDMI output and CUDA capacities.
      64 bits or 32 bits O.S.
      For me, I prefer 32 bits O.S. because of drivers and some apps. The most important number of apps. are compatible with 32 bits O.S. so I prefer have no problems in order to use my pc.
      I know 64 bits systems support more resources as RAM memory, but I prefer compatibility instead performance.
      This is my opinion.
      Best regards.

Comment

• gcms
        Board Senior Member
        • Aug 2012

[QUOTE=microchick;244351]I have read somewhere if you have a 64bit processor then you can upgrade to 64bit operating system and activate it with the same key. You will need to do a clean install. I haven't tried it myself.[/QUOTE]

dear microchick if u want to upgrade from 32 bit os to 64 bit operating system u will need to buy a new key as 32 bit and 64 bit operating system are different cateagries if u r source of information is reliable the please then i will try to upgrade my os from 32 bit to 64 bit as i ve 64 bit peocessor take care

Comment

• ftaboy
          Banned
          • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=besit;244356]Sharing of main memory is made on a BIOS level.
          When you cut a gig from your 4 , windows will think your PC has 3GB of RAM and a videocard having 1 gig of RAM, you may be sure about it.
          It's a fair side.
          What's wrong with this setup
          This memory allocation won't make you happy for not more then 16 MB video memory is used for video, everything else is for 3d textures.
          But 3d textures is needed only in the games, but games needs a fast GPU more then video memory. You may need more video memory for using VMR9 or EVR renderer for playing video/TV on your PC, but again, faster GPU from Nvidia is more important for this.
          Then
          You can easily share your 4GB mem with video card for a normal OS doesn't need more then 2GB of memory. You will need more only for win7's crap.
          Sure, installing 64 bit system you will be able to use more then 3 GB of mem. But you will get many other issues with drivers, sharing plugins e t c. Don't believe those who will say 32 bit apps work on 64 bit system same way. They sometimes doesn't work at all. And for sure you will not get no benefit from this.
          So my advice - get rid of your video card and buy yourself Nvidia accelerator with CUDA support, let win xp read only 3 GB of mem - it's much faster system, then win7 with 4GB mem.[/QUOTE]
          nice information but Downgrading win XP is not good idea !!! why downgrade to XP ???
          [QUOTE=microchick;244355]You get some, you loose some. You dont like 64bit system but it will solve your problem about the memory and you will have a much faster system. Drivers are not a problem these days as most of them come in both versions.

Here is answer to your second question.
          -http://www.pallab.net/2009/12/30/enable-more-than-4gb-memory-in-windows-vista-7/

PS: Please do very careful reading before making any changes.[/QUOTE]
          dear microchick , that was good info for use more than 3gig ram on win 7 os 32bit , but its too risky and because my both CD/DVD-ROMs are broken i can't reinstall windows if any problem happened :(

Comment

• microchick
            Experienced Board Member
            • Apr 2012

[QUOTE=gcms;244426]dear microchick if u want to upgrade from 32 bit os to 64 bit operating system u will need to buy a new key as 32 bit and 64 bit operating system are different cateagries if u r source of information is reliable the please then i will try to upgrade my os from 32 bit to 64 bit as i ve 64 bit peocessor take care[/QUOTE]

It all depends on your processor. If you have a 64bit processor and your operating system is 32 bit then Microsoft may let you upgrade to a 64bit operating system with the same key. You will need to do a clean installation.

Source: Windows7 forum
            If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• gcms
              Board Senior Member
              • Aug 2012

[QUOTE=microchick;244866]It all depends on your processor. If you have a 64bit processor and your operating system is 32 bit then Microsoft may let you upgrade to a 64bit operating system with the same key. You will need to do a clean installation.

Source: Windows7 forum[/QUOTE]

dear microchick can u gave me link please for the upgradation from 32 bit to 64 bit on the same key wishes and regards

Comment

• microchick
                Experienced Board Member
                • Apr 2012

[QUOTE=ftaboy;244859]my both CD/DVD-ROMs are broken i can't reinstall windows if any problem happened :([/QUOTE]

Hi ftaboy: IN that case you will need to download the OEM 64bit version of your current windows and put it on a USB stick and do a clean install from USB drive and activate it with your existing key.

If You want to go back to your old version, its easy. If your computer came with pre-installed windows then you will have a seperate partition and you can just restore your PC from there without the need of a CD/DVD ROM. Alternatively you can Download OEM version of the same windows you already have on your PC, Install from USB drive and Activate with the Key you have.

Comment

• gcms
                  Board Senior Member
                  • Aug 2012

fta boy format u r usb stick in fat 32 or ntfs

Comment

• microchick
                    Experienced Board Member
                    • Apr 2012

[QUOTE=gcms;244931]dear microchick can u gave me link please for the upgradation from 32 bit to 64 bit on the same key wishes and regards[/QUOTE]

@gcms, Here is the link from microsoft. Please note that i haven't tried it myself so don't take my word for it.

-http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/genuinewindows7/thread/3b7abe80-5982-4573-96f5-6b575d7fceec

Hope its helpful.
                    Regards

Comment

• gcms
                      Board Senior Member
                      • Aug 2012

microchick u r right that the windows 7 key can be use for 32 or 64 bit operating systen for one either for 32 bit or 64 bit. is it possible tht can i ve both 32 bit and 64 bit operating system on one mechine at the same time

Comment

• microchick
                        Experienced Board Member
                        • Apr 2012

[QUOTE=gcms;245590]microchick u r right that the windows 7 key can be use for 32 or 64 bit operating systen for one either for 32 bit or 64 bit. is it possible tht can i ve both 32 bit and 64 bit operating system on one mechine at the same time[/QUOTE]

Why would you need two similar operating system on one computer. There is no difference between 32 and 64 bit system.I would rather have Windows 7 and XP, but as XP is expiring in 2014 and no more updates then better to keep to one system. Less confusion, less headache!

Comment

• iiizootiii
                          • Sep 2012

I have a huge amount of software installed on my 64bit win 7 machine but have not any compatabilty problems with software or drivers (that was more a problem with vista

If it is correct that the memory is split at the BIOS stage then you will hardley gain anything from the upgrade anyway

There is no substitute for a hardware upgrade when looking for a performance increase and that costs

Comment

• microchick
                            Experienced Board Member
                            • Apr 2012

@iiizootiii: Nothing wrong with 32 bit system but it just can't use more than 3gb RAM. That is the real trouble with it. Appreantly i can't feel any difference in speed. I have used both.

Comment

• iiizootiii
                              • Sep 2012

the performance gains are minimal but you would be using your system to its full potential with 64 bit (not just the memory)

would hate to think i spent my money on a nice rig (or a cheap one) and did not get the max out of it

Comment

Working...