Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

32bit OS & VGA shared memory question

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ftaboy
    Banned
    • Nov 2010

32bit OS & VGA shared memory question

hello my friends,
    today i just added another 2GigaByte RAM on my PC , so now i have 4gig RAM and as you may know 32bit operating systems only can use 3gig and no more. now my Windows 7 32bit ultimate have 3gig usable RAM and 1279MB as Shared memory for video graphic adapter. the question is , is this shared memory use that 1gig of RAM which windows cant use for ram or its from that 3gig usable?
    for more information you can see picture below:
    _http://axgig.com/images/93577367838765370685.jpg

thanks...
  • gcms
    Board Senior Member
    • Aug 2012

Re: 32bit OS & VGA shared memory question

dear ftaboy

the difference between 32 and 64 bit operating system is that 64 bit operating system only use 4 GB or more than 4 GB ram and 32 bit operating sys is stuck somewhat less than 4GB . 64-bit Windows can run both 32- and 64-bit programs equally well. An individual 32-bit program won't be able to access the extra memory on its own, but if, for example, you run three 2GB programs they'll all be able to fit into RAM under a 64-bit OS.

And if you're not using all that extra memory for programs then Windows puts it to use for caching file accesses wishes and regards

Comment

• ftaboy
      Banned
      • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=gcms;244289]dear ftaboy

the difference between 32 and 64 bit operating system is that 64 bit operating system only use 4 GB or more than 4 GB ram and 32 bit operating sys is stuck somewhat less than 4GB . 64-bit Windows can run both 32- and 64-bit programs equally well. An individual 32-bit program won't be able to access the extra memory on its own, but if, for example, you run three 2GB programs they'll all be able to fit into RAM under a 64-bit OS.

And if you're not using all that extra memory for programs then Windows puts it to use for caching file accesses wishes and regards[/QUOTE]
      hi , i know that .....
      my question is this 1gig on 32 bit OS can't use of 4gig ram, will use for graphic or VGA use of usable memory size(3gig usable)? hope you know what i mean, tnx

Comment

• gcms
        Board Senior Member
        • Aug 2012

yes u r right the remaning ram is shared with the vga u can cheek it from the directx like just type the dxdiag in the run and the press display u will know from there that the remaning ram has used with the vga u can also be confirmed it from u r bios set just striking ECS key at the start up good luck

Comment

• bonilla
          Board Senior Member
          • Aug 2012

I think with GPU-z you'll be able to monitor your vram
          Also,on your display settings (advanced),it will show you just how much you have dedicated and the total including any shared.
          If your machine doesn't have the option then it can't be changed. Sometimes your best leaving these things alone. Windows will manage the memory for what it needs and allocate more.
          If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• ftaboy
            Banned
            • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=gcms;244299]yes u r right the remaning ram is shared with the vga u can cheek it from the directx like just type the dxdiag in the run and the press display u will know from there that the remaning ram has used with the vga u can also be confirmed it from u r bios set just striking ECS key at the start up good luck[/QUOTE]
            thanks , the "dxdiag" was something new for me and learned something new :)
            so as you are saying, shared memory(for VGA) use remaining RAM that 32bit windows can't use, i didn't find a option for this in dxdiag...
            this the picture of dxdiag on my system: _http://axgig.com/images/62616173822225167327.jpg
            BTW thank you for useful information ...

Comment

• microchick
              Experienced Board Member
              • Apr 2012

@ftaboy,
              I am going to disagree with gcms and bonilla. My logic is different than both of them. If your system can't read memory, how can it share it with something else. That extra 1GB of RAM just does nothing. The system will share the only memory then one it can read. As its reading(recognising) only 3GB, therefor only 3GB is the available memory to the system.
              I will explain it with an example. You have 4 coins of £1 each. You lost £1, now your brain knows that you have £3. You go out for shopping with £3 with you. You can't spend £4. You will have to manage your shopping in £3.

I might be wrong though ;)!
              If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• ftaboy
                Banned
                • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=microchick;244335]@ftaboy,
                I am going to disagree with gcms and bonilla. My logic is different than both of them. If your system can't read memory, how can it share it with something else. That extra 1GB of RAM just does nothing. The system will share the only memory then one it can read. As its reading(recognising) only 3GB, therefor only 3GB is the available memory to the system.
                I will explain it with an example. You have 4 coins of £1 each. You lost £1, now your brain knows that you have £3. You go out for shopping with £3 with you. You can't spend £4. You will have to manage your shopping in £3.

I might be wrong though ;)![/QUOTE]
                hmm , this one seems more Rational. thanks microchick
                and I'm so confuse.
                if other guys have inter community in this topic i will be thankful and we will have accurate result...

Comment

• microchick
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Apr 2012

Security alert:
                  Please remove or edit the pictures showing your product ID immidiately.

Now back to the question.
                  If you look, your system has dedicated only 256mb for video. But the system has also shared 1279mb for video in case the video card needs it at some stage. The video card doesn't use the whole memory all the time, only if you are watching a video or playing games. You will notice that your system will become extremely slow when you are watching a film or playing a game. Thats the only time when the video card needs extra memory and it takes it from the shared memory.

Comment

• ftaboy
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=microchick;244342]Security alert:
                    Please remove or edit the pictures showing your product ID immidiately.

Now back to the question.
                    If you look, your system has dedicated only 256mb for video. But the system has also shared 1279mb for video in case the video card needs it at some stage. The video card doesn't use the whole memory all the time, only if you are watching a video or playing games. You will notice that your system will become extremely slow when you are watching a film or playing a game. Thats the only time when the video card needs extra memory and it takes it from the shared memory.[/QUOTE]
                    done with security alert ;) tnx
                    i can change the dedicated memory up to 1024mb from bios , but it will decrease Usable RAM, what is your recommendation at this Conditions i have with on board Radeon x1200 ?

Comment

• bonilla
                      Board Senior Member
                      • Aug 2012

Microchick,you are right about video ram.
                      Also ,if the problem is related to low speed during gaming ,overclocking must be one of the best solution to speed up memory. (or check if some software are pumping your ram).

Comment

• microchick
                        Experienced Board Member
                        • Apr 2012

I have read somewhere if you have a 64bit processor then you can upgrade to 64bit operating system and activate it with the same key. You will need to do a clean install. I haven't tried it myself.
                        PS: If you want to try then please backup all your important data

Comment

• ftaboy
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=microchick;244351]I have read somewhere if you have a 64bit processor then you can upgrade to 64bit operating system and activate it with the same key. You will need to do a clean install. I haven't tried it myself.
                          PS: If you want to try then please backup all your important data[/QUOTE]
                          yea i know upgrading to 64bit operating system will solve this and my CPU support 64bit also but I don't like 64bit system cuz Driver problem and other software problem ...
                          i read somewhere about a patch on 32bit windows 7 which turn 32bit OS to 36bit by editing kernel of windows , did you know something about it, by myself i think its not a good idea to change kernel of a OS like this , this can cause dead blue screen....

Comment

• microchick
                            Experienced Board Member
                            • Apr 2012

You get some, you loose some. You dont like 64bit system but it will solve your problem about the memory and you will have a much faster system. Drivers are not a problem these days as most of them come in both versions.

Here is answer to your second question.
                            -http://www.pallab.net/2009/12/30/enable-more-than-4gb-memory-in-windows-vista-7/

PS: Please do very careful reading before making any changes.

Comment

• besit
                              Board Senior Member
                              • Aug 2011

Sharing of main memory is made on a BIOS level.
                              When you cut a gig from your 4 , windows will think your PC has 3GB of RAM and a videocard having 1 gig of RAM, you may be sure about it.
                              It's a fair side.
                              What's wrong with this setup
                              This memory allocation won't make you happy for not more then 16 MB video memory is used for video, everything else is for 3d textures.
                              But 3d textures is needed only in the games, but games needs a fast GPU more then video memory. You may need more video memory for using VMR9 or EVR renderer for playing video/TV on your PC, but again, faster GPU from Nvidia is more important for this.
                              Then
                              You can easily share your 4GB mem with video card for a normal OS doesn't need more then 2GB of memory. You will need more only for win7's crap.
                              Sure, installing 64 bit system you will be able to use more then 3 GB of mem. But you will get many other issues with drivers, sharing plugins e t c. Don't believe those who will say 32 bit apps work on 64 bit system same way. They sometimes doesn't work at all. And for sure you will not get no benefit from this.
                              So my advice - get rid of your video card and buy yourself Nvidia accelerator with CUDA support, let win xp read only 3 GB of mem - it's much faster system, then win7 with 4GB mem.

Comment

Working...