Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Windows XP turns 10

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darkbus
    • Oct 2011

Windows XP turns 10

It's hard to believe that it was ten years ago today that Windows XP first hit retail shelves. It's even more astonishing when you realize that it was still the most popular operating system in the world until the beginning of this month. The sun may finally be setting on the stalwart OS that has powered countless home and business PCs (it crossed the 400 million mark way back in 2006), but it's still number two -- right behind it's youngest brother Windows 7 and well ahead of the black sheep, Vista. Sure, our relationship with Microsoft's OS has had its ups and downs, but it's clear we've developed an attachment to the ol' bird. After all, consumer demand kept it shipping on PCs until late 2010 and Redmond has pledged to support it until April 8th of 2014. If nothing else, XP will be remembered for its incredible resilience.

Source:

[code]_http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/25/windows-xp-turns-10-enjoys-its-golden-years-and-slow-transition/[/code]
  • findeciclo
    Experienced Board Member
    • Oct 2010

Re: Windows XP turns 10

[QUOTE=darkbus;167669]It's hard to believe that it was ten years ago today that Windows XP first hit retail shelves. It's even more astonishing when you realize that it was still the most popular operating system in the world until the beginning of this month. The sun may finally be setting on the stalwart OS that has powered countless home and business PCs (it crossed the 400 million mark way back in 2006), but it's still number two -- right behind it's youngest brother Windows 7 and well ahead of the black sheep, Vista. Sure, our relationship with Microsoft's OS has had its ups and downs, but it's clear we've developed an attachment to the ol' bird. After all, consumer demand kept it shipping on PCs until late 2010 and Redmond has pledged to support it until April 8th of 2014. If nothing else, XP will be remembered for its incredible resilience.

Source:

[code]_http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/25/windows-xp-turns-10-enjoys-its-golden-years-and-slow-transition/[/code][/QUOTE]

I insist, XP have been the BEST O.S. on history. And the most of Windows users says this is true. And the most important number of PC's in the world have installed XP today. So I think Win7 is good, but in comparision with XP all the people think about it, XP is more reliable and stable than another one.

If Microsoft is thinking about Win8, I think Win7 wil not be the best O.S. in history.

As ever, this is my opinion, I know there are a lot of opinions against this. I respect, but I can't change my idea.

Regards.

Comment

• darkbus
      • Oct 2011

There wasn't meant to be such a gap between XP and Vista, there was meant to be an operation system between them. But Microsoft shot themselves in the foot really, if they had done that, it would had meant companies were more used to upgrading.

But I do think windows 7 is a great improvement over XP.

Comment

• odysseas1991
        Experienced Board Member
        • Jan 2011

Part of the reason as to why the older windows are preferred, is due to the simplicity of the GUIs they carry. Things are obvious such as button, even a basic beginner could understand and navigate their way around the desktop. Also, it is fast and responsive since it is lightweight as opposed to the newer windows which require more RAM to run smoothly.

Comment

• horacio_1009
          • Feb 2012

[QUOTE=odysseas1991;195345]Part of the reason as to why the older windows are preferred, is due to the simplicity of the GUIs they carry. Things are obvious such as button, even a basic beginner could understand and navigate their way around the desktop. Also, it is fast and responsive since it is lightweight as opposed to the newer windows which require more RAM to run smoothly.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree.
          Newer windows versions are fat and slower due to all the fancy buttons, effects, all the design itself.
          XP was great, and still is, because it is simple and lightweight with just a little graphic tweek compared to Win2000. Thats the secret, I think.
          As Microsoft when making Vista, decided to completely change the UI, it resulted in disaster when performance related.
          This was deeply fixed on Win7, but now it seems that win8 will be Vista v2 and another faillure. Truly hope not.

Comment

• Triad
            Experienced Member
            • Jan 2012

[QUOTE]This was deeply fixed on Win7, but now it seems that win8 will be Vista v2 and another faillure. Truly hope not. [/QUOTE]

Why do you mean this!? Has there been any beta releases since i was announced? Or is it told-heard kind of stuff? :cool:

Comment

• jochen7575
              Board Senior Member
              • Mar 2011

I am very happy with my windows XP. It need less ressources and works fine, I have no driver problems.
              Why we need a never version?

Comment

Working...