Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Some questions on a linux server

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dalumetal
    • Dec 2012

Some questions on a linux server

Hi to all.
    I'm using a dm500 as server with cccam 2.2.1, and it works pretty fine.
    In order to improve stability and performances, I would like to subsitute my E1 decoder with a thin client pc.
    I've followed your great tutorials, and finally I've choose the Ubuntu server solution on an Igel-564 LX Premium and Ubuntu 10.04.
    In a word, I could say : "Yes, it works". But really, I've got some issues.
    The big one, is that the PC crashes in an hour or two ( no way to reboot but the reset button, not even Ctrl-Alt-Canc ).
    I think that this problem depends on the RAM, becosue I encountered it even when I was using the nano editor.
    The fastest way is to replace the probably faulty dimm. I'll do it.
    Another issue is that when the emulator was running, I've got higher ECMs compared to the DM500 ( 0.300 against 0.220 - both with cccam 2.2.1 ).
    But the great doubt is :
    - when I've installed ubuntu, I've created an account with a userID and a password; obviously, when I power on the pc, I must login with that account.
    Now, if I follow the tips sugguested in the tutorial, I could install a simple script with crontab in order to have an automatical reboot at a certain hour everyday. But if I've got this script running, Who does login wrong the reboot( expecially if I'm far from the server place )???
    Thank you so much for the kind answers.
  • gianni253
    Experienced Board Member
    • Nov 2012

Re: Some questions on a linux server

Why do you need to login ?
    All services that must be running should be in autostart so the only need to login is when sysadmin has to do some maintenance or other stuff ...

Comment

• dalumetal
      • Dec 2012

I would understand if the scheduled reboot is a complete machine os restart or a simple way to close and re-run only the useful services leaving the os always working

Comment

• gianni253
        Experienced Board Member
        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by dalumetal
        I would understand if the scheduled reboot is a complete machine os restart or a simple way to close and re-run only the useful services leaving the os always working
        Sorry mate, but I didn't catch it ... can you elaborate further ?

Comment

• dalumetal
          • Dec 2012

Hello gianni ( are you Italian ? I'm too... ).
          Well, I'm not so good with linux, honestly...
          In windows, when you have an account, every time you reboot the pc, you have to enter the correct username and password, to access the OS.
          In linux, when you schedule a daily reboot with crontab, is the same ?
          Hope to be clear enough...
          THX

Comment

• luk4asz
            Experienced Board Member
            • Feb 2011

Each user can have their own crontab. User must have right to reboot. Best thing to do to make the crontab with administrator rights.
            The server hangs after starting CCcam? Without running the CCcam also hangs?

Comment

• gianni253
              Experienced Board Member
              • Nov 2012

Hello gianni ( are you Italian ? I'm too... ).
              Yes, I am ...
              In windows, when you have an account, every time you reboot the pc, you have to enter the correct username and password, to access the OS.
              Yes, but only if the user wants to interact with the system. Remember that after reboot windows services start doing their jobs without user logon
              In linux, when you schedule a daily reboot with crontab, is the same ?
              It' basically the same: after reboot (scheduled or manual, whatever) there are some demons or processes that will start without user logon.
              Of course, just like windows services have to be defined as "Automatic" start, linux services must be put in autostart (every distribution has it's own way to manage the boot sequence).

Comment

Working...