Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Setting up VPN for CS

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • josht5
    • Jan 2012

Setting up VPN for CS

Hello everybody ,

I know it has been discussed before but i haven't found an answer for my particular situation .

I have internet from free Wi-fi network at my house , in this instance i can't access the router and open port to make a server .

However i have friends which have their own internet routers and can open ports and things .

My question is Can i set up a VPN network between my free Wi-fi and my friends internet connection to keep my Dreambox connected as a server ?

Thank you for any eventual answers .
  • besit
    Board Senior Member
    • Aug 2011

Re: Setting up VPN for CS

1. Your internet connection should not be via hotspot (approving connection with web page)
    2. You need a VPN server on one side (with real IP) and VPN client on other (your side)
    3. Your friends have to raise a VPN server like OpenVPN on their side and give you some creditionals. It may be login/password or client certificate
    4.The best setup for your case 2 routers running OpenWRT with a VPN server on your fiends' side and OpenWRT with a VPN client on your side.

Comment

• josht5
      • Jan 2012

Can anyone recommend the routers i will need to achieve this please , ones that support OpenWRT well enough .

Thanks .

Comment

• besit
        Board Senior Member
        • Aug 2011

There's wiki on OpenWRT site
        _http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start
        It lists compatible hardware. I cannot give you an advice what router model to buy, for there are many hardware revisions, one of them compatible, other not, but
        1. When choose the router to buy you have to look at Flash Size. Most cheap routers have 4 MB, but there are manu 8 MB Flash size. It's a critical parameter. Having 8 MB you can easily install OpenWRT with OpenVPN, 4 MB - you won't. But if router with 4MB has USB port it's possible to extend flash space with an USB flash drive.
        2. I worked with Dlink routers (dir-320), revisions A1 and B1 (NRU). Dir-320 NRU is an ideal solution - 360 MHz core and 8MB Flash, but it's kind of old hardware, I'm afraid it's not easy to find it. Dir-320 A1 has USB and it also fits requirements if use a flash drive for overlay, but it's even older.
        3. Now I use TPLink MR 3420. TPLink make very nice hardware for the low price, but these routers are 4MB flash size too . So USB flash is only way for them.
        4. It's possible to make a router from old PC. Pentium4, 512 MB RAM, 128MB usb flash and 2 PCI ethernet cards - perfect configuration. But it's a PC - noisy and high power consumption.
        5. If you'll find a router ask before buy, you may ask me.
        6. If you'll got you 2 OpenWRT compatible routers - I will help you to configure them.
        7. Don't forget - OpenVPN server bearing router must have "white" (public) IP-address accessible from internet.

Comment

• gianni253
          Experienced Board Member
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by josht5
          ... My question is Can i set up a VPN network between my free Wi-fi and my friends internet connection to keep my Dreambox connected as a server ?
          The answer to your question is simply "no".
          Your dreambox can't act as a vpn server because you cannot open (and redirect) ports on your hotspot router.
          But your dreambox could act as a vpn client, provided your friend builds up a vpn server and gives the right credentials to you.
          P.S.
          vpn feature can be implemented in router but also in dreambox (alternatively), so you don't necessarily need a new router to build a vpn.
          Openvpn is quite "heavy" package but if you install a "slim" image and free up some space, everything you need can fit in a DM500 var.

Comment

Working...