Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Total Noob urgently needs your help in the right setup

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mostafa0202
    • Jun 2012

Total Noob urgently needs your help in the right setup

hi guys,

this is my first post, so please accept my apologies if i don't make total sense or ask too many questions. i currently have a standard sly box + mini dish, but i'm not subscribing - only freeview and don't have a card.

i want to get all the sly package, but i'm not 100% sure what i additional equipment i need. As far as i have read, i need:-

1. A DVB-S receiver, for example a Dreambox with the necessary files/software on it
    2. A subscription to a server that provides the package. Will i also need my own card if i'm subscribing to a server????

The other questions i have are:-

1. Is the dreambox 800 HD the most highly recommended? If so, which one should i go for 800HD or SE? What is the difference?

2. Are DVB-S cards any good for CS if i got one for my media pc? Any downsides?

3. How can i avoid getting a dodgy box? i.e what can you recommend that i watch out for? i.e. hardware or software version?

4. Who can you highly recommend i can buy the cheapest box from? Ebay? China? or someone else?

Thanks very much for all your help
  • pjmuk
    • Sep 2011

Re: Total Noob URGENTLY needs your help in the right setup

Hi Mostafa,

If you are completely new to this scene it may be preferable to start with a non linux box like Openbox or Spiderbox. You can get these fairly cheaply from eBay.

Once you get your box try using one of the free clines from Satlover to make sure you are doing things correctly, then consider a pay server. No card needed.

Comment

• pan1300
      Experienced Board Member
      • Apr 2012

hi

I would also advise you to read here a lot (different boxes, server/client, how to install/flash/setup/...) - so you know what you buy and know what's it capable of, and if/how you will get it done. I agree with pjmuk: start simple or you won't get it sorted out (without wanting to freighten you).
      When you buy a 'cheap' box, mostly less support in case of questions or if something gets wrong.

Good luck!

Comment

• bokkie
        Experienced Board Member
        • Feb 2012

Hi and welcome.
        I was in the same position as you a few months ago. I went for a Vu+ duo clone twin tuner and a motorised dish. it is brilliant!
        So if you are happy only being able to watch/record programs on the same transponder then a blade 7000s is a good startup box at arounf £140. Openboc is cheapest at around £60.
        If you're willing to do a bit more research a dm800 se or vu+ solo is a good box.

If you want to watch/record different channels at the same time you'll need a dual tuner.
        The vu+duo clone would be a good choice but requires slightly more research than a starter box.
        Have a read and a think and let us know how we can help.

Comment

• microchick
          Experienced Board Member
          • Apr 2012

Hi and Welcome to the forum.
          I will try to explain one by one.
          Your first 2 questions.
          * First of All you need a broadband connection with a good ping time*.

1 You dont need a Dreambox or any other expensive receivers (for the start) if you want to be only a client.

2 you dont need your own card for subscribing to a server (as a client).

Now your other questions:

1 Dreambox or any other open source linux receivers are highly recommended only for the people who know a lot about CS. For a noob its better to start with a built in linux receiver. They are cheap (£50 and over) and they are easy to set up. You will be up and running withing 30 minutes of getting your receiver. There is a hardware difference between different models of dreamboxes. HDMI, Screen, memory, etc. ****** is your best mate!

2 Computers can do many things but it can never replace a proper receiver. If you want to use your computer then you compromise on a few things, like the picture quality and the messy set up etc. More advisable to get a cheap Box instead or a DVB-s card.

3 There are a lot of cheap and expensive boxes out. If you want to buy a cheap box then avoid buying a clone as for cheap boxes original and clones have the same price but clone restrics you in uploading firmware. Original are the best. For expensive boxes, clones are working perfectly but be careful whrere you buy from. Again there are many softwares out so all depends on your choice and taste.

4 you can buy cheap boxes like openbox, skybox on ebay but check that they are original by asking the seller about the chip ID and check it in the relevent section on Satlover forum. For expensive boxes, All chinese models are clones and cheap (Under £200). But the original are really expensive and you can buy them anywhere in europe without any hesitation.

Once you step into the satellites world, you will learn a lot with time,
          Remember, Everyone is a noob in any department at some stage in their life!!

I'm pleased that you have chosen Satlover forum to start with. You will learn a lot here in no time.

Good luck with your project.
          If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• scooterman
            Board Senior Member
            • Sep 2011

To start with i would buy a spiderbox with the free gift ,its a good way of learning the basics and the box is very user friendly and also nice HD quality.
            It will connect you to servers without the need for a lot of knowledge on the subject and the knowledge you pick up as you go along,and of course the nice gents here will help you.
            Good luck.

Comment

• bokkie
              Experienced Board Member
              • Feb 2012

Spiderbox is a good choice for a starter box, but I personally prefer open source.

Comment

• toby69
                Experienced Board Member
                • Oct 2011

mostafa0202, the guys on here will all help you out, good chaps, glad you,ve found the best site on the web for help and advice and all the latest help and info.
                i use a spiderbox, have done for nearly 2 years, easy to set-up not complicated, there are many boxes now that you can chose from, go for a new one as most give you gift/free channels for x ammount of time,a second hand one (i would not buy) no need there not to expensive now! as long as you can enter lines you cannot go wrong, my advice, get spider to start mine has been brill.
                good luck.
                Do not send me iptv/cline requests,

technical or iptv/cline server questions in PM!

I will not answer!

Comment

• toby69
                  Experienced Board Member
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by arslan2468
                  on ebay and gumtree there are a lot of people who will provide siperboxes and sky boxes and will offer a free gist for 12 mounths I've even seen some that will wirelessly set u up using teamveiwer so all you need to do is plug the cables in and power the box on
                  -------------------------------
                  FYI

no gift for spiderbox, (gift finished)
                  if you want plug an play set-up, other boxes needed, protek e.t.c
                  Do not send me iptv/cline requests,

technical or iptv/cline server questions in PM!

I will not answer!

Comment

• pan1300
                    Experienced Board Member
                    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by toby69
                    -------------------------------
                    FYI

no gift for spiderbox, (gift finished)
                    if you want plug an play set-up, other boxes needed, protek e.t.c
                    correct, but this ones mostly need a pathsoft also
                    there are some alternatives, but depends on what you want to do beside the freegift also ...

Comment

• odysseas1991
                      Experienced Board Member
                      • Jan 2011

In my opinion, and I have said it a few times before on this forum, a TM5402HD is a very very friendly and easy beginner satellite that does everything required. Outputs in 1080p aswell which makes it an incredible piece of equipment.

Comment

• bokkie
                        Experienced Board Member
                        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by odysseas1991
                        In my opinion, and I have said it a few times before on this forum, a TM5402HD is a very very friendly and easy beginner satellite that does everything required. Outputs in 1080p aswell which makes it an incredible piece of equipment.
                        Yes the TM5402HD is a good receiver with very sensitive tuners.
                        The only problem for me is that it's closed source.
                        I much prefer Open source receivers as you have much more choice and possibilities.

Comment

• gcms
                          Board Senior Member
                          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by bokkie
                          Yes the TM5402HD is a good receiver with very sensitive tuners.
                          The only problem for me is that it's closed source.
                          I much prefer Open source receivers as you have much more choice and possibilities.
                          one of my friend using the same box it is closed sources u ve to wait for the company softwear and itself u can not changes it is very easy and friendly users for the bigenners wish u good luck

Comment

• microchick
                            Experienced Board Member
                            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by mostafa0202
                            4. Who can you highly recommend i can buy the cheapest box from? Ebay? China? or someone else?
                            Thanks very much for all your help
                            The bast recommended way to buy a cheap box is to find a local seller who you can see face to face, they might charge you a bit more but that's really worth it. Most of the seller would stay annonymous on the internet and pretend they are your next door neighbours but they are actually in China. If you can find a local seller and collect it in person then thats the best option. Don't worry if you pay in cash or check. At least you would know where they are and in the future in any problem just knock at thier door.
                            If you like my post, please don't hesitate to click on "Thanks"button. Thank you

Comment

• microchick
                              Experienced Board Member
                              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Roket24
                              4) the best place i say to buy a box is ebay. yes i also agree will other members that say get it from a local person however your paying a lot more. on ebay some boxes come with 12 months free gift so its particularly plug and play.
                              Sorry but I disagree. Boxes on fleabay with a gift are not cheap. They actually charge you for the 12 months gift within the price of the box and a normal openbox/skybox will cost you around £150 instead of £50. Why pay for something you haven't tested yet. Its much better to get just a box from a local seller or fleabay and then look for a better server if you are interested and subscribe to it for not more than 3 months after a test line. In case the server packs up, you dont loose lots of money.
                              Its my personal opinion!!

Comment

Working...