Welcome!

Welcome to Satlover forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement.

Please register if you would like to take part. link..

Register Now

Alert: Don't Use Hotmail Email Accounts for registration

Collapse

Before Access to all Forums and Trial accounts you must need to activate your account Email address

Hops

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • odysseas1991
    Experienced Board Member
    • Jan 2011

Hops

Can someone explain to me what the difference in quality, the difference in response times of hop1 hop2 and hop3? And what does the term "local" actually mean?
  • topman96
    Board Senior Member
    • Feb 2011

Re: Hops

if a card is showing hop 1 it is a local card that is a card they have themselves not a card they are sharing of some one else so say i had local card and you shared of me it would show as hop 1 but if i had a card i was sharing say from my freiend and it was a local card he had it would show on your as hop 2 and so on do you get it now

Comment

• skytec
      Experienced Board Member
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by odysseas1991
      Can someone explain to me what the difference in quality, the difference in response times of hop1 hop2 and hop3? And what does the term "local" actually mean?
      It depends also on the quality of connection and usage of cards.
      Sometimes it may happen that the card is more stable at higher hop.
      Is my post useful for you? Please press sigpic

Comment

• odysseas1991
        Experienced Board Member
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by skytec
        It depends also on the quality of connection and usage of cards.
        Sometimes it may happen that the card is more stable at higher hop.
        See, this is what was confusing me as to why it varies so much, hence why I wanted a definition for what a hop actually is...thank you for pointing out this.

Comment

• redhezuk
          Experienced Board Member
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by topman96
          if a card is showing hop 1 it is a local card that is a card they have themselves not a card they are sharing of some one else so say i had local card and you shared of me it would show as hop 1 but if i had a card i was sharing say from my freiend and it was a local card he had it would show on your as hop 2 and so on do you get it now
          So basically anything over hop 1 is a reshare then. But a reshare won't necessarily mean a worse performance (but is more likely to)?

Comment

• odysseas1991
            Experienced Board Member
            • Jan 2011

And can someone tell me what a reshare is? And how does it happen?

Comment

• sqazilou
              Board Senior Member
              • Jun 2010

if you encounter server is not stable its better to keep only hop 1 et hop 2 only

Comment

• redhezuk
                Experienced Board Member
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by sqazilou
                if you encounter server is not stable its better to keep only hop 1 et hop 2 only
                If you are lucky enough to have the option, not all receivers have that facilty (such as my Spiderbox!).

Comment

• alfred_1
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2010

Here is a beginers guide to Card sharing: I hope you find it useful.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• jonny2by4
                    Board Senior Member
                    • May 2011

can you change the hops on a openbox s9

Comment

• roro
                      • Feb 2010

hop 1 it is a local card
                      hop 2 , card in the donor is Local

Comment

• peremacedonia
                        Experienced Board Member
                        • Jun 2010

Hop means number of servers away !!

In simple terms to understand me well here is an example!!

I have a local card and i am sharing with you!!

You will see my card as Hop 1 or as called elsewhere Distance 1

Now you decide to share with your friend

Your friend will get my card as Hop 2 ( this is called Reshare , because you are resharing my card with your friend )

One day your friend decides to share with his friend, so his friend will get my card as Hop 3

and the further the card goes with each connection it will add 1 hop each time
                        Now you are thinking and deep inside you are saying '' But i do not want to reshare my card so many times''

Well you are right it is never suggested to reshare your card more than 3 times this means 3 hops away !!

In order to eliminate this you need to add some config in your F: lines in Ccam.cfg

So if u recive card on hop3 with good "ping" it will be more stable from card on hop1 but with slow responce time.
                        Rule n.33 kid..... Concentrate

Comment

• odysseas1991
                          Experienced Board Member
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by peremacedonia
                          Hop means number of servers away !!

In simple terms to understand me well here is an example!!

I have a local card and i am sharing with you!!

You will see my card as Hop 1 or as called elsewhere Distance 1

Now you decide to share with your friend

Your friend will get my card as Hop 2 ( this is called Reshare , because you are resharing my card with your friend )

One day your friend decides to share with his friend, so his friend will get my card as Hop 3

and the further the card goes with each connection it will add 1 hop each time
                          Now you are thinking and deep inside you are saying '' But i do not want to reshare my card so many times''

Well you are right it is never suggested to reshare your card more than 3 times this means 3 hops away !!

In order to eliminate this you need to add some config in your F: lines in Ccam.cfg

So if u recive card on hop3 with good "ping" it will be more stable from card on hop1 but with slow responce time.
                          Thank you, this is a nice example. Two questions from this however... The last sentence you say that a hop3 is more stable than a hop 1, why?

And lastly, is the reshare option done on my side, or the servers from here? Because I have no access to edit anything, no cfg files or nothing, and I do not want to reshare nothing. To reshare something to a friend, how would you do it anyway?

Comment

• uttnls

Originally posted by odysseas1991
                            Thank you, this is a nice example. Two questions from this however... The last sentence you say that a hop3 is more stable than a hop 1, why?

And lastly, is the reshare option done on my side, or the servers from here? Because I have no access to edit anything, no cfg files or nothing, and I do not want to reshare nothing. To reshare something to a friend, how would you do it anyway?
                            He is reffering strictly to ping values, but an hop three card has the sum of three pings, so you will rarely find a card working better from hop3 then a local one, it depends of course of many variables

What box/card do you use ? it depends on your hardware if you can do that or no, and the way to do it

Comment

• odysseas1991
                              Experienced Board Member
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by uttnls
                              He is reffering strictly to ping values, but an hop three card has the sum of three pings, so you will rarely find a card working better from hop3 then a local one, it depends of course of many variables

What box/card do you use ? it depends on your hardware if you can do that or no, and the way to do it
                              Oh I see, because someone above mentioned that sometimes the stability can also be better on hop 3 sometimes, but now I understand that it is very rarely... I use a TM5402HD and there is no option to edit anything unforunately, I have to accept whatever comes from the whole server. As you once mentioned in a previous post, I am lucky I even have CCCAM with the way my box is setup. That is why I am looking to switch to a linux soon to be able to do more advanced setups.

Comment

Working...